Mabry Mill, Blue Ridge Parkway, VA - in the rain

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited August 20, 2011 in Landscapes
I recently did the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park. Here is a shot of Mabry Mill (BRP mile post 176) on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I am also including a b/w version. This is my first work with the Canon 5D MkII.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the color image for the EXIF data.

568658090_PzcF7-O.jpg

568658066_jHSZc-O.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I love the color version, it looks like a painting thumb.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nice - as usual! thumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Great shots, Dixie! The processing and comp are beautiful. I'd be proud of either one of 'em, but the color version edges out the b&w by just a hair, I think. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    WOWWW! .... is all I can say.
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Loud Al wrote:
    I love the color version, it looks like a painting thumb.gif

Thanks, Al.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nice - as usual! thumb.gif

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 20, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great shots, Dixie! The processing and comp are beautiful. I'd be proud of either one of 'em, but the color version edges out the b&w by just a hair, I think. :D

Thanks, Mahesh.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 20, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    WOWWW! .... is all I can say.

Thank you, Carrie.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Beautiful. At first I thought color!!! But, after looking at the b&w I really like it too! I think they both look like a painting!!!
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nice!
    Beautiful light!
    edited June 25, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Beautiful. At first I thought color!!! But, after looking at the b&w I really like it too! I think they both look like a painting!!!

Thank you, Eia. Here is another one of the same mill taken in fall of 2004, but reprocessed in 2006.

83135577_S6QNH-M.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 25, 2009
    Nice!
    Beautiful light!

Thank you.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Dixie wrote:
    Thank you, Eia. Here is another one of the same mill taken in fall of 2004, but reprocessed in 2006.

83135577_S6QNH-M.jpg

This one is just out of this world! What great fall colors! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Okay, all three of these shots are spectacular! I really want to get down there. It's only 4 - 5 hours from me. Maybe we can take a mid-week trip down there.

How busy is it during the week/weekend?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Dixie wrote:

83135577_S6QNH-S.jpg

WOW Dixie! bowdown.gif Perfect and pristine.
    edited June 26, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    This one is just out of this world! What great fall colors! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks again, Mahesh. Your comments are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 26, 2009
    Okay, all three of these shots are spectacular! I really want to get down there. It's only 4 - 5 hours from me. Maybe we can take a mid-week trip down there.

How busy is it during the week/weekend?

I have been there during the week and during the weekend. Of course, mid-week is better, but I've never had a problem except for getting behind a RV/camper. However, I've never been in a hurry on either the Skyland Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway so that probably keeps me from really paying attention to whether the traffic is bad or not.

They do have a great restaurant with decent prices at Mabry Mill which I recommend. I usually get there very early (before sunrise) and get setup for my shots. The restaurant doesn't open until about 7:30 am, but they drive you nuts with the breakfast smells by opening some kitchen windows. There's just something about a great breakfast smell.

Enjoy your time there. It is well worth the trip.

Also, 164 miles north of Mabry Mill is Glade Creek Grist Mill in Babcock State Park near Beckley, West Virginia just north of I-64. It is well worth the trip.

83142244_ZSfkX-O.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 26, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    WOW Dixie! bowdown.gif Perfect and pristine.

...as always - thanks, schmoo.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Thank you Dixie.

It looks like Glade Creek Grist Mill is about 4 hours from me. Maybe I need to do a mill photo tour. :)

This one is closer to me. But not as picturesque. :)
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Beatiful. The color version for sure. Maybe the B/W would work better with a tighter crop ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 29, 2009
    Thank you Dixie.

It looks like Glade Creek Grist Mill is about 4 hours from me. Maybe I need to do a mill photo tour. :)

This one is closer to me. But not as picturesque. :)

Look up covered bridges for West Virginia because a number of them in the same general area.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 29, 2009
    Beatiful. The color version for sure. Maybe the B/W would work better with a tighter crop ne_nau.gif

Dan,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Very nice shot of the mill. You caught the Rhododendrons in bloom - adds a nice touch.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
    edited June 30, 2009
    Very nice shot of the mill. You caught the Rhododendrons in bloom - adds a nice touch.

Thank you. I was in luck because most of the Rhododendrons and other flowers had been pretty much beat to death by a late season hail storm just 6 days prior to my being there to do the shoot. That particular Rhododendron was protected by a large tree. All the others in the open were gone. You could see where the flowers were, but nothing except nubs were left.

Normally there are flowers both sides of the road right up to the mill area. Not a bloom in sight this trip. I was somewhat disappointed having seen the area in its glory during earlier trips.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • scootacscootac Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Found this with a search,,, and have a few questions.
    Which light is better for shooting the mill,,, morning or evening? I've been there,, but can't remember how the mill is oriented with the sun. I might be going down the BRP mid-Sept and staying near the mill,,, and would like to get some nice shots.
    Thanks!
    The world is a book, those that do not travel, read but one page.
  • fibredrivefibredrive Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    beautiful images.
  • E L DavisE L Davis Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2011
    Dixie wrote: »
    I have been there during the week and during the weekend. Of course, mid-week is better, but I've never had a problem except for getting behind a RV/camper. However, I've never been in a hurry on either the Skyland Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway so that probably keeps me from really paying attention to whether the traffic is bad or not.

They do have a great restaurant with decent prices at Mabry Mill which I recommend. I usually get there very early (before sunrise) and get setup for my shots. The restaurant doesn't open until about 7:30 am, but they drive you nuts with the breakfast smells by opening some kitchen windows. There's just something about a great breakfast smell.

Enjoy your time there. It is well worth the trip.

Also, 164 miles north of Mabry Mill is Glade Creek Grist Mill in Babcock State Park near Beckley, West Virginia just north of I-64. It is well worth the trip.

83142244_ZSfkX-O.jpg

I really like this shot of Glade Creek Mill. I visited there in August 2007 and was disappointed by circumstances not in my control. That was the year of the extended drought, so the creek was almost dry, unlike your shot. I also hit there in late afternoon - not the best light. Left there with a few shots for keepsakes but nothing I could really use. I'll have to plan a visit there some Spring when the creek actually flows.

Nicely done.