Roaring Fork Creek, Great Smoky Mountains NP

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Landscapes
Roaring Fork Creek alongside the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the image for EXIF data.

568701119_bfDsM-XL.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Beautiful comp, Dixie! The water looks a little too much like shaving cream for me, but long shutter time effect on flowing water is a matter of personal taste.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful comp, Dixie! The water looks a little too much like shaving cream for me, but long shutter time effect on flowing water is a matter of personal taste.

Thanks, Mahesh. Actually, I prefer shooting running water around .8-2 seconds, but the image above was exposed for 25 seconds. I shot this one under some really weird circumstances. It was around 2:00 pm in the afternoon, but was almost dark because of an approaching storm. I was in somewhat of a gorge with a cliff to my right and the trees towering about 100 feet over me. I set my f-stop to 22 and went for great DOF (note the closeness of the right foreground) and wanted the entire range in focus from the foreground to the background. In fact, I was really surprise at the stillness of the leaves in the foreground since limbs and leaves were whipping and breaking off above me and falling to the ground around me while I was taking the photo, but the leaves and limbs remained still close around me.

I was off the little bridge, shown in the image below, to the right and about 5-10 feet below the level of the bridge to capture the image above. The image below, taken about 11 minutes after the image above, was exposed for 30 seconds. I didn't want the car in the image, but there wasn't much I could do about it under the circumstances. The rain had already started by the end of the exposure and I ran to the truck and waited for over an hour for the downpour to stop before giving up and leaving.

568815546_PpvV2-O.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Dixie,

I've shot in the Smokies before so know exactly what you are talking about. It's amazing how dark it can get there, especially when a storm is appraoching. It's too bad about the car in the second image, but it does give it a cool effect. You made lemonade out of a lemony situation. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    just curious what lens you were using... f/22 is probably a bit too much - you're into diffraction limiting at that point, and actually starting to lose clarity, especially on the 5D2. normally you can get all the DOF you need, even on a FF body, at f/16. and of course, the 5D2 should be 'clean' up to ISO 1600, anyway, so you could easily have gotten that 25 second exposure time down into the 1-3 second range..

regardless, that first shot is a lovely composition, with rich greens and a soft mist rising above the stream... nicely done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    You made lemonade out of a lemony situation. thumb.gif

lol3.gif and 15524779-Ti.gif

The Smokies look so awesome whenever you're shooting them, Dixie. I think it takes real skill and familiarity to capture such beauty in a place that can be tricky and subtle at times.
    edited June 25, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Dixie,

I've shot in the Smokies before so know exactly what you are talking about. It's amazing how dark it can get there, especially when a storm is appraoching. It's too bad about the car in the second image, but it does give it a cool effect. You made lemonade out of a lemony situation. thumb.gif

Thank you again.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 25, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    just curious what lens you were using... f/22 is probably a bit too much - you're into diffraction limiting at that point, and actually starting to lose clarity, especially on the 5D2. normally you can get all the DOF you need, even on a FF body, at f/16. and of course, the 5D2 should be 'clean' up to ISO 1600, anyway, so you could easily have gotten that 25 second exposure time down into the 1-3 second range..

regardless, that first shot is a lovely composition, with rich greens and a soft mist rising above the stream... nicely done!

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 25, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif and 15524779-Ti.gif

The Smokies look so awesome whenever you're shooting them, Dixie. I think it takes real skill and familiarity to capture such beauty in a place that can be tricky and subtle at times.

thanks, schmoo.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Dixie wrote:
    EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Must be the IS kept those leaves and twigs still. I always knowed Canon were good!!mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

Yes, more natural water is my preference (you lose what is most attractive in water - its gemmy translucence), but I love the 1st pic anyhoo.thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I love the ghost car.
    edited June 26, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Must be the IS kept those leaves and twigs still. I always knowed Canon were good!!mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

Yes, more natural water is my preference (you lose what is most attractive in water - its gemmy translucence), but I love the 1st pic anyhoo.thumb.gif

I do tend to go more for the smoother look - especially in this one with the mist, etc. Something to do with the history of the place and the passage of time. However, I do realize that it is a matter of taste.

The trees were whipping way up above me, but it was "the eerie calm before the storm" down in the bottom while this capture was being made. Within minutes of this shot, leaves and small limbs were falling all around me. You can see some of the leaves and small limbs in the "ghost car" image.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited June 26, 2009
    Loud Al wrote:
    I love the ghost car.

Thanks, Al. It did turn out sort of neat, but if I had my druthers - I wish I hadn't been haunted.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie