Slide Rock Narrows in Morning Light

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Shot this at the narrows portion located downstream of Slide Rock State Park near Sedona, AZ while the cliffs were bathed in the nice early morning light. 30-second exposure taken with 5D2, 24-105L and Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter.

568629820_SLfrJ-XL.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    The reflection is beautiful! It seems a little bright but I am not on a good monitor right now...nonetheless I think it is very nice!!!
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    The reflection is beautiful! It seems a little bright but I am not on a good monitor right now...nonetheless I think it is very nice!!!

Thanks. The filter incorporates a warming polarizer, which adds to the richness of the colors (usually no need for a saturation adjustment), which could account for a perceived jump in brightness. I also made a cropped version to cut back on the amount of water in the frame. Not sure which to go with. Anyway, here's the crop:

568858814_MdnLk-XL.jpg
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Beautiful shot! Personally, I prefer the uncropped version. It seems a shame to get rid of any of that beautiful reflection!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    i like the uncropped version better too... the reflections in the water are marvelous. does seem a tad bright, IMHO, and i'd personally like a little more contrast in the shadows, but that's just me...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I think its a beautiful shot. I like the uncropped version best.
    RON
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    That is a beautiful place, the reflection is awesome. Maybe a bit less detail in the shadows would be nice and is it a touch too bright?
    Great shot.thumb.gif
    wendell
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Thanks. I just don't see the "brightness" that some folks are seeing, understanding that the morning sunrise light was extremely bright on the canyon walls making for great reflections. I think the perception of added brightness was due to the use of the Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter (ND+warming polarizer). The warming polarizer adds richness (a different look than a standard polarizer), which could result in a very slight brightness boost. Also, with a 30-second exposure, there aren't any ripples in the water that would act as diffusers to knock down the light that's reflecting off the water.
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Ahhh, Sedona! Beautiful shot, love the reflection in the first crop - keep it! Aside from the beauty, my first thought on seeing this was that it's a little bright. By that I mean, slightly washed out or pale, especially in shadow areas - but not by much. I think it just needs deeper shadows and a little work (burning?) on the distant background rocks and trees (visible through the rock cleft). I would try simply dialing down the brightness just to see what you think, and go from there. It may help, it may not.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!