awesome brick backdrop-6 mo baby

My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
I'm still working on this session, but here are a few of my favorites so far. What do you think? Be honest. What can I do to make them better? Also need help with post production catch lights for #2.

1. This one is a little grainy, but I love it still.

569003745_wmDPb-L.jpg

2. Can someone please explain how to add catch lights in the eyes with Photoshop. I have CS2 and CS4.

568977376_HNm7G-L.jpg

568974220_96c7T-L.jpg

4. My new brick panel from Lowes!

565617051_7hVFT-L-1.jpg

565611431_xMtMr-L-1.jpg

Thanks all!

-Melissa
www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
My new blog: www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    These are fantastic!! What a cute baby, and your work is great. I don't think i've seen brick backdrop with a baby before. Well done clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    I'm still working on this session, but here are a few of my favorites so far. What do you think? Be honest. What can I do to make them better? Also need help with post production catch lights for #2.

1. This one is a little grainy, but I love it still.

569003745_wmDPb-L.jpg

2. Can someone please explain how to add catch lights in the eyes with Photoshop. I have CS2 and CS4.

568977376_HNm7G-L.jpg

568974220_96c7T-L.jpg

4. My new brick panel from Lowes!

565617051_7hVFT-L-1.jpg

565611431_xMtMr-L-1.jpg

Thanks all!

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    My new blog: www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Lose the bricks and keep the white backdrop - Those first three are really wonderful, Melissa. And I wouldn't worry about "catch lights" or anything else. You've captured the best of the baby's personality and done it in a charming, whimsical way - don't mess with success and think that it has to meet certain requirements. I absolutely guarantee you that there isn't a parent alive who would look at those images and say, 'Wow! That is great, or would be if there were catch lights in that baby's eyes." mwink.gif

(And, NO, that does not mean that catch lights are bad, that formal lighting techniques are bad, or that I don't have an endless number of things to learn about artificial lighting - I do! It just means that I don't think it matters at all in this case. rolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I think they need a levels adjustment. They are lite very nice and great expressions but they seem flat to me. I hope you don't mind that I played with the one on the left. Just went to levels and rasied the black point up and played with the middle and right slider some.

569786395_gZYnD-X2.jpg
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Love the white background and props, but not so much the brick...I am in my mid 50s and I recall when the fake brick look was all the rage in kitchens as a backsplash and that came to my mind the moment I saw it. Everything old is new again but I still don't like the overly fake look of it, now REAL brick is another matter, but not cheap or easy ne_nau.gif
    The bears are great, perfect with the hat!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • LizardsimLizardsim Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    How in the world did you get him to smile that perfect half-smile/smirk??!!! He's the cutest!

I'm okay with the brick--kinda dark. But, you knew that going in, I'm sure.

Great shots all the way around; thanks for sharing that cutey-pie!
    E.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 21, 2009
    I don't much care for the brick either, but if you are set on using it, I would look for a way to darken the floor part so it is less obvious that it's just a piece of paper. I like the others.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Cutness! Love the hat and the facial expressions. I am also not a fan of the bricks. To me.. bricks connotate "edgy" and babies aren't edgy, they are all soft an squishy. I think they do best on plain white or simple baby like backgrounds, simple muslin or plain black. Looks a little like the white is a bit overexposed in comparison to the baby. Maybe as was done by Hackbone you could bring up the levels or curves (my favorite) and maybe add a layer of soft light and adjust to taste. I would fix the catchlight... (also a personal preference) by cloning the other one but probably in its own layer because that side shouldn't be as bright. But lucky you have such an adorable subject to work with! Keep shooting
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    I think they need a levels adjustment. They are lite very nice and great expressions but they seem flat to me. I hope you don't mind that I played with the one on the left. Just went to levels and rasied the black point up and played with the middle and right slider some.

The levels adjustment does help. When you say "raised the black point", is that the same as sliding the left point on the slider bar, in the levels adjustmet? That's what I'm thinking.

As far as the bricks go, I just like it because it's different... not typical. It is a little edgier, but that's what I was going for. I think it kinda gives it a coffee shop/ live guitar soloist on stage kinda feel- well, atleast the one with the guitar. The diaper cover actually has guitars on it, so I need to find a way for that to show up better.

Thank you for all your comments. It helps so much to see what others are thinking!

-melissa
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I love that it's a CD'd baby!!!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Personally, I like the brick background. I think the last one is my favorite. The guitar adds a nice touch to the photo. Not sure about the brick for the bottom though. Anyways, at first glance, the only thing I see is the baby's face, as his facial expressions are so cute! It's not till I look at the photos a little longer that I notice the background. I think the parents are going to like them all as is!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Melissa, yes that is what I mean.
  • 2wistd2wistd Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2009
    I like the brick, but maybe for kids a bit older, put a 'rock' shirt on them and go from there! My wife always wants to give the kids a punk rock look, I think it'll work well with our kids too.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hey Melissa, did you buy those hats online or make them? They are very cute!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I bought them online through Etsy. Wrote about them recently in my blog:
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Wish I knew how to make them!

-Melissa
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I agree with an above poster, the non-catchlights aren't bothering me.. I do agree that the first couple do need a little more pop.
    As for the bricks. I love it. The ONE thing I would change though, is have hardwood\laminate floor, not bricks.. it might 'soften' it a little bit. (Oh and a nice thick baseboard!)
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    for the catchlights - don't mind if they aren't there but if they are in one eye I personally like to see them in the other.. so they don't seem lopsided...

love the bricks... (and the laminate flooring idea!)
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Beautiful shots and beautiful baby. My first thought was that the skin tone needs a little pop, it's a little too flat and grey. I think the levels adjustment that Hackbone posted does that for you.

I also prefer the white background, but it's cool to see what you can do with the brick from Lowe's.

~Kathleen
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com