Here are my first two attempts...

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
*****Reworks added in later post.*****
The first is more for fun. It was one of those "OH, circles!" kind of shots. The second one, I worked on some and I am really starting to like it. Does it have a shot? Of course, I have the Rodeo tonight, no telling what I will find there.

569193914_sYnga-L.jpg

569193940_fVjEa-L.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009

imo, you need to do some fixing.

my advice: (fwiw)
    a. use the perspective tool to correct the perspective of the horizontals and verticals of the glass block joint lines.
    b. crop the frame to make it universally even, like on top you allowed 10 - 15% of the next row in frame.
    c. bring the exposure up on the flowers using a mask or just brush it on. (but not over done)
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009

a. use the perspective tool to correct the perspective of the horizontals and verticals of the glass block joint lines.
    b. crop the frame to make it universally even
    c. bring the exposure up on the flowers using a mask or just brush it on. (but not over done)

Thanks Aaron. I knew someone could tell me how to fix that.
    a. I will try the perspective tool. I never have before, wish me luck! Laughing.gif
    b. okey dokey, I will watch for that.
    c. They were black when I began, no light at all on them. I will see if I can lighten a little more with going over board. I was afraid of doing that is why I stopped there.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I kinda like #1. Very playful. Might need a kid or something interacting with the toy to give it some oomph.
    edited June 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I kinda like #1. Very playful. Might need a kid or something interacting with the toy to give it some oomph.

I got one with my long haired hippee son turning them to O for me.... probably not as good as a kid.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009

my advice: (fwiw)
    b. crop the frame to make it universally even, like on top you allowed 10 - 15% of the next row in frame.

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited June 20, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I got one with my long haired hippee son turning them to O for me.... probably not as good as a kid.

:nono No long haired hippee sons! Cute devil-children with curls in their hair and impish grins on faces! :D
    edited June 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    :nono No long haired hippee sons! Cute devil-children with curls in their hair and impish grins on faces! :D

oh, that would be my niece.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hello Miss Donna.... wave.gif

Hmm.. The rodeo... Lots of circles and squares there.. I use to compete back in my younger day in trail competitions and barrel racing.. I miss that environment...

look forward to those shots..clap.gif

ok,. as far as these go... I like #2 and agree with everything Aaron said...

I am not familiar with the perspective tool, but in CS3 I use the
    "lens correction filter" to fix stuff like this ... now I am curious.. Aaron.. where do I find that tool? I can't seem to locate it..

So,,,,,, I love the colors of that beautiful brick glass, but I don't like the flowers or their placement in the frame, they distract the eyes from taking in the repeating patterns.. If you are really set on using the flowers, then I would place them off to the lower left hand corner so they do not dominate and compete for our attention. If you have a chance to re-shoot that brick, step up onto a stool first and get higher up and that should help with the perspective problem here...

Kat
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hello Miss Donna.... wave.gif

Hmm.. The rodeo... Lots of circles and squares there.. I use to compete back in my younger day in trail competitions and barrel racing.. I miss that environment...

look forward to those shots..clap.gif

ok,. as far as these go... I like #2 and agree with everything Aaron said...

I am not familiar with the perspective tool, but in CS3 I use the
    "lens correction filter" to fix stuff like this ... now I am curious.. Aaron.. where do I find that tool? I can't seem to locate it..

So,,,,,, I love the colors of that beautiful brick glass, but I don't like the flowers or their placement in the frame, they distract the eyes from taking in the repeating patterns.. If you are really set on using the flowers, then I would place them off to the lower left hand corner so they do not dominate and compete for our attention. If you have a chance to re-shoot that brick, step up onto a stool first and get higher up and that should help with the perspective problem here...

Kat
    Hi Kat....
    Rodeo pictures... not my best. My camera is just not equipped to deal with it. It can take great shots, but under the right conditions. I tried every setting under the sun last night. Oh well, it’s was more just for me and the rodeo than anything. My Sister and Brother-in-law are part of the main group that puts it on. Last year I was taking pictures for them… and I hated being responsible for it, even if I was free. Laughing.gif. I’m working on posting some now, (slowly…..), but they are so-so pictures, nothing to get excited over. I think I have about 40 I am putting up right now out of 325 I took.
    The glass block walls... possible reshoot. I just have to make myself. It is at a Subway at a gas station nearby. I don’t think they care. I have pics with and without the flowers and I like the flowers personally, if I can get them looking better.
    edited June 21, 2009
    well, I look forward to the pics.. ya never know.. sometimes the right crop and some adjustments can work wonders.. chin up and all..:D

P.S> I know what you mean on the action shots.. It can be difficult.. I am the photographer for my son's Martial Arts Team. and talk about tough.. They all wear white, so the camera exposes for bright white, and then they are moving so fast.................. top that off with an indoor low light situation and it is always a nightmare with the shutter. ISO noise is almost inevitable to get good exposure..

Kat
    edited June 21, 2009
    they are STILL loading. And in the process of that I am trying to help my brother get a photo ready for a show...Last minute and hurry hurry. I have 3 photos showing in a Gallery right now in a local artists show. There is room for another and he had one I think the ower will like. It is a whole lot more work to get someone elses ready, cause I don't want to screw up. He is at work emailing me back and forth.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    #1 is a good idea, it just needs to be more punchy perhaps by angle or post processing to really grab the viewer.

#2 has some of that punchy-ness going on but to me I want to see you go all the way in one direstion or another. You can really make those colors come out and have it be this big vibrant wall facing the viewer, or go the other direction making it duller so the repetition is trapping that poor flower.

From the distortion it looks like you were tilted up so I would try and go as level as possible in the capture to avoid this. Also try having that flower off to each side a bit in the composition instead of dead center.
    edited June 21, 2009
    That's a heap load of work there cowgirl.. :lol:lol:lol

Good luck with that.. I wish there was a way you could share the ones you have in the local galleries with us too.. I really need to look into this art gallery option .... seems like a good place to get noticed...

My favorite of your work is that one you submitted for the book cover contest.. I really love that one , and think you need to submit it to the Texas travel commission.. http://www.thc.state.tx.us/travel/

Just my two cents in all....

I will check back in later tonight to see if you get some of them up.. I have noticed that things load like molasses on here on the weekends..:bash

Kat

ok edit: so, I can't say it is my only fav >>>> I like a lot of your other stuff too, but I really admire that one...
    edited June 21, 2009
    Here are the Rodeo pics... http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/8636532_ATEZ6/1/569859970_Hdyoc

I'll put up the links to the ones I have in the gallery later. Got to go pick up a kid from my parents. He didn't want to go to the rodeo last night.
    edited June 21, 2009
    gallery pics
    here are the links to tyhe ones I am showing at the gallery. the gallery site is: http://www.marykaramgallery.com
    The 1st two weren't my favorites of what I showed the owner, but they are what she picked. The last one is one of my favorites.

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7218850_9UhCE/2/464544253_KxDfe#464544253_KxDfe

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7218850_9UhCE/2/464544253_KxDfe#464544284_K84M9

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7197096_jFyED#476973455_jbRWp
    edited June 21, 2009
    Ok, here is what I was able to do...

569991899_HNzZn-L.jpg

569991918_Jx99Y-L.jpg
    edited June 21, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Ok, here is what I was able to do...

#2! clap.gifclap.gif

The vase nicely breaks up the pattern and gives the eye something to rest on.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    On the second batch of shots I like what you did with one the best.

g
    edited June 21, 2009
    #2 is very pretty Donna.. It stands out..

That extra bit of green on the right lower corner is distracting though..

Since a crop will not fix it ,, and I know you are not very fond of me listing 101 ways to fix it in PS,,,mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif So, I would just burn it in, until it looks like the line of space above it., then I would take that burn tool and go up and down both sides to clean it up from the peeking green glass.. just be sure to zoom in and keep your brush small so that you do not encroach on the pretty green glass..
    That is my best advice...

Other than that.. Very nicely done. I love the colors.. and I think you have
    a great entry here..

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    here are the links to tyhe ones I am showing at the gallery. the gallery site is: http://www.marykaramgallery.com
    The 1st two weren't my favorites of what I showed the owner, but they are what she picked. The last one is one of my favorites.

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7218850_9UhCE/2/464544253_KxDfe#464544253_KxDfe

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7218850_9UhCE/2/464544253_KxDfe#464544284_K84M9

http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7197096_jFyED#476973455_jbRWp

They are all very pretty Donna. I really like the road with the white trees on it..

Nicethumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    #2 is very pretty Donna.. It stands out..

... Very nicely done. I love the colors.. and I think you have
    a great entry here...

15524779-Ti.gif !
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Nice work Donna!iloveyou.gif

#1 is my personal fav....but that's just me!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    One more vote for #2

- can you try cloning out that thing on the lower left corner?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 22, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    One more vote for #2

- can you try cloning out that thing on the lower left corner?

Yep, gonna do that. I didn't notice it until it was on here.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to work on #2 a litle more and clean it up. Thanks for the idea to burn in the edges Kat. That is a great solution.
    edited June 22, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Yep, gonna do that. I didn't notice it until it was on here.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to work on #2 a litle more and clean it up. Thanks for the idea to burn in the edges Kat. That is a great solution.

Your Welcome.. Look forward to seeing it in the gallery.. I am going to submit my entry by tonight.. hopefully....:D....

Kat
    edited June 23, 2009
    ok, just for fun, here is one of the ideas I had first. (just now got around to trying it... not so great)

original:
    571609981_yta5V-L.jpg

and "cubism" :D fun playing around, but I kinda like it.
    571609972_6GkFh-L.jpg
    edited June 23, 2009
    Let go my le-go, or is that egg-o? ha ha,,
    Can't help myself when I get around you.:ivarrolleyes1.gif

Well I like the idea, except the white blowout part on the top of the legos..
    creative.. what else ya got huh? see this is what happens when you use a brownie mix, then you have too much time on your hands..:giggle:giggle:giggle
    edited June 23, 2009
    Let go my le-go, or is that egg-o? ha ha,,
    Can't help myself when I get around you.:ivarrolleyes1.gif

Well I like the idea, except the white blowout part on the top of the legos..
    creative.. what else ya got huh? see this is what happens when you use a brownie mix, then you have too much time on your hands..:giggle:giggle:giggle

Hey!!! that's another good idea! Eggo waffles... round with squares! Laughing.gif
    Nope thats it for me... gonna work in the glass wall and get it in as soon as I can. I just had to try this. Next to impossible to get a good focus with my camera, at least here at my desk. Should have seen the red ones I tried, yuck! red blobs. eek7.gif
    Goodnight, I gotta get to bed. Way past bedtime, again.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nighty, Night...wave.gif

Thanks for the laughs...:D

Kat