Newbie question

randy329randy329 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 21, 2009 in Cameras
I just bought a Nikon d50 with nikon 18-55 and 55-200 and I have read that they are on the low end for lenes, I bought today a sigma 28-105mm d f2.8-4 aspherical if and now I'm not sure if it's a AF lens and I am asking for some feedback

Help Newbie:dunno

Thanks
Randy

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    There is something I always try to remember - reviews are always critical of just about everything. The only things that generally get amazing reviews cost a fortune. If the lenses work well for you that is all that really matters. If you find they are in some way limiting you, then you can address the issue of if you should look for others. But I bet you will be able to get good results with your setup.
    Glad to have you on DGRIN!:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 20, 2009
    randy329 wrote:
    I just bought a Nikon d50 with nikon 18-55 and 55-200 and I have read that they are on the low end for lenes, I bought today a sigma 28-105mm d f2.8-4 aspherical if and now I'm not sure if it's a AF lens and I am asking for some feedback

Help Newbiene_nau.gif

Thanks
    Randy

Randy,

Jonathan is giving good advice. Do your research and purchase what is right for your needs.

I use a multitude of lenses and, while I do use multiple reviews to guide my choices, in the end "I" get to choose what is right for me.

The user reviews of the Sigma 28-105mm, f2.8-f4 Aspherical, by actual customers and owners of the lens, are generally pretty good and rate the lens as a very good "value" lens meaning that it works well for their needs and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you wanted to use the lens for a professional project it would probably not be a first recommendation but for a general purpose lens with a servicable range it seems to do pretty well.

What matters most is what "you" do with the lens. Give it the right lighting and reasonable expectations and it will probably serve you well.

What is it you want to accomplish with your camera and lenses?
    What types of photography do you wish to pursue?
    Do you want to do rapid action sports?
    Do you want to do night time or indoor venues?
    What sort of lighting experience do you have?
    Do you have budget considerations?
    etc.

The more you tell us about yourself and your goals and aspirations, related to photography, the more we can help you with recommendations and informed opinion.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    clap.gif WELCOME clap.gif

Did you get the VR version of the lens?

You may like to look here for some Nikon opions
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#af

Your D50 has the built in motor so any AF lens will work with it.

Good Luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com