lapel microphone left on groom's white tux

swenmanswenman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 23, 2009 in Finishing School
As suggested, I have attached a copy of the photo.

Please help. I did not notice that the groom left his lapel microphone on for the post ceremony portraits. I have been unsuccessful at removing it with the clone tool in Photoshop Elements. Is there a better way to do this than with the clone tool?

Would a photo lab - Bay Photo - be able to do this for me at a price?

I want my client to be happy with his photos.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

swenman

P.S. I am working with RAW files.

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Can't answer until we see the picture…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • candyman44256candyman44256 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2009
    Swenman
    swenman wrote:
    Please help. I did not notice that the groom left his lapel microphone on for the post ceremony portraits. I have been unsuccessful at removing it with the clone tool in Photoshop Elements. Is there a better way to do this than with the clone tool?

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

swenman

It would certainly hlep to see the image you're referring to.

I don't work with RAW files and maybe it's different, but the Magic Healing Brush in PS Elements is perfect for removing blemishes or anything else because it samples the pixels all around the circle that you put the microphone in and matches it. Hope it helps.

Scott
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited June 21, 2009
    swenman wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

swenman

The clone tool is usually exactly what you want. Post a full sized JPG here so we can see what the problem is.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    This is my absolutely least favorite photoshop task. But it really isn't hard, just boring. Use the clone tool. Start out with a big soft brush and get rid of the center of the microphone and the parts with no detail behind them. Then fix the edges and collar with smaller, harder brushes. With practice, this should take about 5-10 minutes.
    If not now, when?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited June 21, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    This is my absolutely least favorite photoshop task. But it really isn't hard, just boring. Use the clone tool. Start out with a big soft brush and get rid of the center of the microphone and the parts with no detail behind them. Then fix the edges and collar with smaller, harder brushes. With practice, this should take about 5-10 minutes.

OK, now that I can see the pic, I agree with Rutt that this one is going to be tedious, but it can be done with patience. The trickiest part will be getting the collar edge and shadow right. I would do this by sampling with a small brush that's centered on the edge and contains half collar, half shadow and moving it along the line formed by the edge. Take small steps and just redo each step if it doesn't look continuous. You'll want to work at 200% magnification or maybe higher for this part of it.
  • swenmanswenman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2009
    thank you very much
    Richard wrote:
    OK, now that I can see the pic, I agree with Rutt that this one is going to be tedious, but it can be done with patience. The trickiest part will be getting the collar edge and shadow right. I would do this by sampling with a small brush that's centered on the edge and contains half collar, half shadow and moving it along the line formed by the edge. Take small steps and just redo each step if it doesn't look continuous. You'll want to work at 200% magnification or maybe higher for this part of it.

Rutt and Richard

Thank you both for taking the time to help. Your comments were useful.

Swenman
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Actually, in this situation it is easier (at least for me) to select and copy the other lapel and part of the tie knot, flip it and position it over the mic area, then blend that in using the clone tools. Takes about 5 minutes.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    Actually, in this situation it is easier (at least for me) to select and copy the other lapel and part of the tie knot, flip it and position it over the mic area, then blend that in using the clone tools. Takes about 5 minutes.

Sometimes, just as you so nicely demonstrated, it is good to remember than you can flip a piece of an image to match the opposite side.

And that this can be much faster and easier, than tediously cloning something out.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin