1st b-day (my best so far, i think)

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
When I look at all the images I took tonight of this little one, I get the same feeling that I got from the last senior session I took. I'm just really really excited about this session. :p

569368678_4tP8U-L-1.jpg
569368726_xA7Ex-L-1.jpg
569372955_hxm7R-L-1.jpg
569372521_Eiqjr-L-2.jpg
569378079_xL76G-L-1.jpg
yummy yummy light...delicious!!
569368174_2Rg4Y-L-1.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    What a darling! Very well executed, love the rich colors, and overall processing. Great job clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    You should be excited! These all great, but #4 just does it for me! thumb.gif (Cute idea with her in the water all dressed up!)
  • carriel_millercarriel_miller Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2009
    Wow, she is just adorable! Great shots!!!!
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    saurora wrote:
    You should be excited! These all great, but #4 just does it for me! thumb.gif (Cute idea with her in the water all dressed up!)

I must agree. #4 is just oozing with personality and flat-out cuteness. Excellent job!
    Travis
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    #4 is my favorite too. The water idea is really good. I would be afraid my little subject would fall in it, but it looks like she did well!

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    You get a million bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif just for the fact that you managed to catch her so still in the water, my 18mos. old would have been diving

AMAZING PHOTOS!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Yup, you're right - these are fantastic! Great subject, f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c. use of DOF, putting her in the water in that dress is a wonderful idea and the light was your friend - what more can you ask?

I absolutely love #3 - purists might argue that the hand is blown, but I think the expression trumps the hand in that one (recover it further if you can, of course, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker)

Fabulous series.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    #5 is a wonderful closeup portrait just the way it is. The first 3 have a lot of potential. I wish her palm weren't blown in #3. It's a big distraction from an otherwise very nice shot. I played with it, but unless you shot in raw, there doesn't seem to be any way to recover.

I converted on to B&W just for fun and liked the result:

569748675_x38BV-O.jpg

What do you think?

The last one is just too overexposed for me.
    If not now, when?
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Oh Julie, these are fantastic. What a wonderful session. Such variety with the shots in the water and then the adorable cupcake shots! How adorable! I love how she was in the water - what a great idea!!

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

The hand doesn't break the deal for me either!

Also, I like the last one and the processing you used with it!
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Great job Julie! I can see why you are excited! LOVE the 2nd one, face to the sun. Great idea in the water. Am not a fan of the blown hand but love the expression. How would that look if you did a horizontal crop of just the face? And the only other comment would be to lose the sandals in the cake shot. Maybe just my pet peeve but I hate looking at the bottom of soles. Especially since she was dressed in only a diaper cover. Bare feet are the best! Also..am not on a calibrated monitor but 4 and 5 seem that they could benefit from a little brightening and white balance adjustment?? I am sure the parents will love them anyway clap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I agree Julie...Very nice job! I like them all, but my favorite is #5 (if I remember correctly), the one with the cake. I was slightly disappointed in that you didn't include one of the after affects. I love seeing little kids eating their first cake and seeing the cake smeared all over their face. I think that would have made an awesome photo with this child!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I agree Julie...Very nice job! I like them all, but my favorite is #5 (if I remember correctly), the one with the cake. I was slightly disappointed in that you didn't include one of the after affects. I love seeing little kids eating their first cake and seeing the cake smeared all over their face. I think that would have made an awesome photo with this child!

GaryB

I do have some of the after effects of the cake. I'll post more soon. :D

Here we go. :D

569378403_n5SMc-L-1.jpg
  • 2wistd2wistd Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2009
    I like #4 as well, Gives me more inspiration to get another lens and take the kids outside!
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Here we go. :D

569378403_n5SMc-L-1.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks Julie, you just made my night!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Excellent shots Julie!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The only gripe I have, and I belive it was said by another poster, is the blown out hand in one of the photos. This baby is gorgeous. You comp and pp are on the money. Especially compared to last year. Your photos were good, but these are fantastic. Great job.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Excellent shots Julie!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The only gripe I have, and I belive it was said by another poster, is the blown out hand in one of the photos. This baby is gorgeous. You comp and pp are on the money. Especially compared to last year. Your photos were good, but these are fantastic. Great job.

Thank you very much. I pray it wasn't a fluke and that I'm able to produce these types of photos consistently. It seems that I'm not always able to pull off sessions that I'm super excited about. I'm editing a session right now that isn't horrible, but doesn't give me the same feeling when I look at them. That session was taken last weekend.

I agree about the blown hand. It was a bummer (my assistant had moved the reflector by accident as I took that photo) but I couldn't throw it out simply because of the awesome eye contact I got with her.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    When I look at all the images I took tonight of this little one, I get the same feeling that I got from the last senior session I took. I'm just really really excited about this session. :p

569368678_4tP8U-L-1.jpg

yummy yummy light...delicious!!

The first is fabulous - and I also like it in the black and white version Rutt offered, though it is markedly changed in mood in that version. I also love the cupcake shot.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I love #4 - GREAT Shot!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Your session turned out to be AMAZING, wow, yes, it very well could be your best yet, hard to beat at any rate, Congrats!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Love the #1 in Black and White and #4. Like you said, #6 is over-exposed but hey, very nice shooting session! Keep up the great work! clap.gif
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
    edited June 23, 2009
    Julie, one thing I try to avoid is making all of my sessions look and feel the same. I can almost garantee that you'll do another session of a similar child and not get these results. As a photographer, we're there to capture the moment as best as we could. On some sessions we capture every moment, like this previous one, and on other sessions we are a frame or two behind. I was once told that out of 100 frames, if you get 10 good ones, you did your job. So keep that in mind when you are frustrated on a new shoot that you didn't get as many 'winners' as the previous shoot you had.

I've seen some great photos from some great photographers, and the more pictures they develop, the more they look the same. I personally don't want that.

There is no such thing as a bad session. Even if you only captured one killer shot. Keep up the good work, you're improvement shows. :-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Julie, one thing I try to avoid is making all of my sessions look and feel the same. I can almost garantee that you'll do another session of a similar child and not get these results. As a photographer, we're there to capture the moment as best as we could. On some sessions we capture every moment, like this previous one, and on other sessions we are a frame or two behind. I was once told that out of 100 frames, if you get 10 good ones, you did your job. So keep that in mind when you are frustrated on a new shoot that you didn't get as many 'winners' as the previous shoot you had.

I've seen some great photos from some great photographers, and the more pictures they develop, the more they look the same. I personally don't want that.

There is no such thing as a bad session. Even if you only captured one killer shot. Keep up the good work, you're improvement shows. :-)

Thank you very much for replying with this. This is very good advice, and one that I really really needed to hear. This will help me to not be overly critical of myself in the future. Thanks again, you have no idea how helpful that was for me.

=)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:

I'm already starting to see hints of this, if only because similar venues give similar light and by instinct I seem to gravitate towards certain poses. It's something I'm wondering how I"ll combat as/if I keep doing this... headscratch.gif

However (expanding this to more philosophical musings): how much counts as "Individual style" and how much is "repeating oneself"? I think most photographers eventually develop something uniquely recognizable as "their" style and that is (I think) a good thing. I guess the real skill is sustaining that without simply letting shots become formulas....

Great points, Frank!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm already starting to see hints of this, if only because similar venues give similar light and by instinct I seem to gravitate towards certain poses. It's something I'm wondering how I"ll combat as/if I keep doing this... headscratch.gif

However (expanding this to more philosophical musings): how much counts as "Individual style" and how much is "repeating oneself"? I think most photographers eventually develop something uniquely recognizable as "their" style and that is (I think) a good thing. I guess the real skill is sustaining that without simply letting shots become formulas....

Great points, Frank!

I think one thing that helps is "location, location, location!" I follow some blogs and notice that the more successful photographers have a really wide variety of locations, so you don't feel like you are seeing the same shots over and over. Of course, many of them are "location shooters" and lucky enough to travel to do so! Finding unique loctions in a small, home-town area (and not having your work look repitious) is no small task!
    edited June 24, 2009
    saurora wrote:
    I think one thing that helps is "location, location, location!" I follow some blogs and notice that the more successful photographers have a really wide variety of locations, so you don't feel like you are seeing the same shots over and over. Of course, many of them are "location shooters" and lucky enough to travel to do so! Finding unique loctions in a small, home-town area (and not having your work look repitious) is no small task!

I agree with you both. There is a thin line between trademak and repetition. Creativity makes the ordinary extrodinary. That's what we get paid for. ;-) Any monkey can take a picture. I tell my clients that all the time. You're paying for my post processing.

Make the flat look round, you'll always win. ;-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter