DSS 28 Pushing the limits

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited June 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was on the computer surfing these forums and playing with my cell phone camera. Alot of the time I will mess around with photos of body parts, due to my dissability my body has become a focus of my work from time to time. With this challenge in mind I wanted to use it and modify it through duplication to create references to these shapes.

First from my cell phone:

569821115_KQ5AK-O.jpg

I liked this concept alot but due to the low light here the cell phone did not give me the results I was after so I took out my DSLR and made another version:

569821119_QvBHP-O.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    These are both awesome and disturbing....

I like it, and it reminds me of that one famous photog that did stuff like this,, I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he was famous for his stuff with body parts positioned like this.

I like the idea.. but you are going to have to give us some stronger circles or squares... I like the 2nd one, perhaps burn in the circles on the ankles to make the circle stand out more... complete the circle's line..

Kat
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009

I like it, and it reminds me of that one famous photog that did stuff like this,, I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he was famous for his stuff with body parts positioned like this.

I like the idea.. but you are going to have to give us some stronger circles or squares... I like the 2nd one, perhaps burn in the circles on the ankles to make the circle stand out more... complete the circle's line..

Kat

Thanks, and you brought up one of my main concerns, how to show the square in these cases. If I should go all out showing it, with 4 lines mostly shown, or like in the case of these images leaving mostly an outline with the 2 strong lines leaving the viewer to connect them into the geometric shape.

The ball of the heel would be a interesting take for a circle, not sure even if I emphisize it that it would be strong enough of an element compared to the rest of the composition.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I don't know what your disability but from your images it certainly hasn't hampered your creativity.
    These are bizarrely cool.

g
    edited June 21, 2009
    Thanks, and you brought up one of my main concerns, how to show the square in these cases. If I should go all out showing it, with 4 lines mostly shown, or like in the case of these images leaving mostly an outline with the 2 strong lines leaving the viewer to connect them into the geometric shape.

The ball of the heel would be a interesting take for a circle, not sure even if I emphisize it that it would be strong enough of an element compared to the rest of the composition.

Maybe you can work with it and put up some more edits..? Yes, the ball of the foot would be a tough one.. I would stick with the ankles.. Also, I like the sepia toned one best as far as coloration.... I would try different colorations too and maybe even a black and white....I definitely do not favor that pink, it brings too much attention to the skin rather than the shapes.....Very unique..thumb.gif
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I agree with Kat....awesome and disturbing....I keep looking! eek7.gifmwink.gif

Really struggling to reconcile these images for the theme....creative images though nonetheless.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 22, 2009
    I am not at a square yet but getting closer...

570755481_KhhHU-O.jpg

this is going to be interesting to figure out how to get them into that shape
    edited June 22, 2009
    And here is the rest of the progression:

570780446_KBUuk-O.jpg

570780447_NUfQ4-O.jpg

570790597_F9xmH-O.jpg
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009

Totally agree. There is a part of me that really doesn't want to like it, but it is an awesome concept. You really jumped into the "art world"
    Steve

Website
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    These are bizarre and disturbing but like the other folks I keep coming back. The square shape you were going for really pops in the B&W version you posted. Even the textured background stands out more.

The only thing you might want to consider is trying a version without that "seam" in the middle and see how you like it.

Very creative!
    edited June 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    These are bizarre and disturbing but like the other folks I keep coming back. The square shape you were going for really pops in the B&W version you posted. Even the textured background stands out more.

The only thing you might want to consider is trying a version without that "seam" in the middle and see how you like it.

Very creative!

I am working on that seam now, the big issue is since it is so textured I need to work with the image aka I can't really use the healing brush to get rid of them, so I am using the burn tool to try and blend them in with the rest of the image, here is the step I am currently at:

571051651_uvFf3-O.jpg
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ok,, I wish you would give me a nickname to call you here.. that is a long one to type out rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif.. I prefer to address people by name or at least a nickname..

I like what you have done with this up to this point... I would be careful not to do too much more on the dodging.. Do you know how to use the liquefy tool? it would fix this perfectly.. by pulling the tips of the toes straight and by pushing the bend of the toe knuckle inwards.. it is looking super..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    I think ya done good! thumb.gif
    edited June 22, 2009
    Now the question of the title....

One Foot Squared?
    or to be written
    1ft^2?
    Too nerdy?
    edited June 22, 2009
    I have always been a fan of analytical..rolleyes1.gif perhaps it is because I am married to a scientist who knows................ but I have always favored brainy..

I say go with the second one.. if you can get the symbols to work right in the gallery and get that number (2) to look squared...

I like it a lot.. creative play on the theme..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Now the question of the title....

One Foot Squared?
    or to be written
    1ft^2?
    Too nerdy?

How about something like "One Square Foot"?
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Add one more toe and call it "A Baker's Dozen". rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Reminds me of a b&w final I did in college where I used my nose, blew it up really big and used it for my chin and forehead in a self-portrait.

Cool idea and really looking good! Definitely one for this challenge.