Jacob - Rat Pack Wannabee

jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
This young man brought in an old photo and we attempted to recreate the light and look and feel of, "The Rat Pack" era. If nothing else, it was good fun trying and a good exercise in lighting etc. Thanks for having a look.569678633_rovqC-L.jpg
"Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent

Comments

• MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I think it's fantastic and it does do the Rat Pack thing for me. Was the motion blur on the hand intentional? thumb.gif

Malte
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I think it's fantastic and it does do the Rat Pack thing for me. Was the motion blur on the hand intentional? thumb.gif

Malte

Thanks - the blur was unintentional - i was shooting at a low shutter speed as the subject was adjusting sleeves and buttons etc.
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Works for me! Has the whole rat pack feel to me. Nice- I like it!
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Care to share the lighting arrangement? Looks like one light to camara left in an umbrella level to the subject, and maybe a 2-3 stop under main to camera right, or reflector, for fill..

All in all, the shot looks great. In the B & W photos, it's easier to get away with a burning of the highlights, when it comes to the blown or close to blown area on the white shirt.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Works for me!
    edited June 22, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Care to share the lighting arrangement? Looks like one light to camara left in an umbrella level to the subject, and maybe a 2-3 stop under main to camera right, or reflector, for fill..

All in all, the shot looks great. In the B & W photos, it's easier to get away with a burning of the highlights, when it comes to the blown or close to blown area on the white shirt.

yeah, you pretty much nailed it - the main light was camera left, but placed very low - about one foot off the floor. The right side is window light and a silver umbrella for fill.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I think this is a great shot! Love the look and think you recreated the period feel very well thumb.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    JVG. This was truly a marvelous shot. I have one request:

I'm sure, this wasn't the only frame you took! Let's see some more, the subject was fully commited to giving the feel of the 'Rat Pack'. I'm sure you have other brilliant shots. I personally would love to see them.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited June 23, 2009
    Per Request - one more time...
    Trevlan wrote:
    JVG. This was truly a marvelous shot. I have one request:

I'm sure, this wasn't the only frame you took! Let's see some more, the subject was fully commited to giving the feel of the 'Rat Pack'. I'm sure you have other brilliant shots. I personally would love to see them.

Frank, here's another shot - completely different pp...nothing brilliant I assure you.571458139_M8q9w-L.jpg
    edited June 23, 2009
    jvgphoto wrote:
    Frank, here's another shot - completely different pp...nothing brilliant I assure you.571458139_M8q9w-L.jpg

OMFG!!!!!!! Why didn't you post this one first?!?! That's amazing.bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    OMFG!!!!!!! Why didn't you post this one first?!?! That's amazing.bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks, Frank - i actually preferred the first shot - sometimes i think that the photographer is the worst judge of his own work!

Later,
    Jon
    edited June 24, 2009
    Can we get some opinions people? The second shot is PP yumminess. Looks like a perfectly blended focal point to me. :-) Works lovely. It has me wondering what he's thinking...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter