First attempt with a reflector

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
My kids gave me a 5-in-1 reflector kit for Fathers Day...here are a couple of shots of my daughter on my first attempt.

I think I could have probably used a diffuser over her right shoulder on this shot?
570114850_AQ8aG-X2.jpg

I think that this one is a little to bright...
570114516_2xBm9-X2.jpg

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I have reflector, it's very handy. But on shots like this, to balance the sun, I prefer fill flash.

On second review of the images. You did use fill flash. It wasn't strong enough, looks to me like the pop up flash on your camera. You need an SB or speedlight! Just one flash will instalntly elevate the quality of your work. Quick flip bracket, and a syncord. Winner! It works marvels for the people with glasses.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan,

Thank you for looking an commenting. You are correct...all I have at this time is camera pop-up flash. I wish I had a better flash but cash is not available at this time.

I am suppose to be getting some shots of my daughter and her fiancé for their engagement shots (daughter in picture)...do I have a snow balls chance of getting decent shots without a flash?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 24, 2009
    You can get great available light shots without a flash, especially if you have a reflectorthumb.gif

Do watch out for mottled sunlight shining through tree limbs, like on her right shoulder. As you found out, it is almost impossible to fix after the fact.

Use window light for your portraits or stand them in the shade of a building and use the reflector for fill.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan,

Thank you for looking an commenting. You are correct...all I have at this time is camera pop-up flash. I wish I had a better flash but cash is not available at this time.

I am suppose to be getting some shots of my daughter and her fiancé for their engagement shots (daughter in picture)...do I have a snow balls chance of getting decent shots without a flash?

I was once tought a trick by a pro photog when I first started out with my camera and only a pop up flash. Take a sheet of loose leaf paper and place it infront of the flash. It acts as a diffuser and helps spread the light more evenly.

This is straight pop up flash set manual to 1/8th power. Distance is about 4 feet. f5.6 ISO 200 and camera flash sync of 1/500th of a second.

573037171_CTzBo-L.jpg

Not the harsh highlights.

Same settings as the previous with loose leaf paper diffuser.

573037183_JWJYY-L.jpg

The light is more even, but the picture was two times darker. So I bumped the exposure in camera raw. Doesn't look bad, but note the added noise.

In this next shot, I set my flash to 1/2 power to compensate for the loss of two stops and it doesn't look half bad.

573040819_YzMAt-L.jpg

I would experiment with this technique before you go out and use it in the real world.

Reflectors are nice, but you have to take in consideration what light you are reflecting. Next time, try the white part of your 5 in 1. Looks like the last shots you did were filled with the golden side of the reflector.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan,

Absolutely! In fact, just at the moment I'd say reflected light is my favorite situation - I find it easier to control than flash (since my flash technique is still in the learning stages) and soooo much prettier! All of these were reflected natural light and zero flash

"Golden Hour" sunlight reflected back into the shade on the porch
    550367464_CiVH3-S.jpg

Natural light through glass bricks amera right reflected back onto the face
    568883758_vfNNN-M-1.jpg

Natual light outside (ca 6pm) reflected back using gold side
    570373963_NGjzy-M-4.jpg

Sunlight behind subject, standing in shade, ca 12 noon - all light on face from foamboard reflector
    471863931_QJ8Co-M.jpg