Canon to Nikon

Curtis M.Curtis M. Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 22, 2009 in Cameras
Hello DG

I have a Canon Rebel XT with a 18-55mm lens. I take a wide variety of shots with it.
Here is a link to some of my photos. http://www.ipernity.com/home/cmerritt
I am looking for into a Nikon D90, but don't know what kind of lenses I should invest into.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 21, 2009
    What do you want to do with the camera and lens(es)? Please give as much detail as possible.

Are you willing to consider third party lenses?

Why are wanting to switch? Features? Performance?

Nice use of composition and color in the images on your site.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Curtis M.Curtis M. Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What do you want to do with the camera and lens(es)? Please give as much detail as possible.

Are you willing to consider third party lenses?

Why are wanting to switch? Features? Performance?

Nice use of composition and color in the images on your site.

Thank you.

I want to switch over to Nikon for the ease of controlling everything without going into the menu and to dip my feet in both Canon and Nikon. Since I am new to the photography world I want to find what is comfortable for me. As far as lens(es) go, I find I shoot a lot of night landscape. As well as everyday street life. Is there a good lens that would be sufficient for both?

Thanks
    Curtis
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Curtis M. wrote:
    Thank you.

As far as lens(es) go, I find I shoot a lot of night landscape. As well as everyday street life. Is there a good lens that would be sufficient for both?

Thanks
    Curtis

First really look over and compare the D300 to the D90.....I got one great deal off here and another off Ebay....both used but save some dough for extra lenses........

As far as lenses go.....were yu happy with the 18-55 canon lens?? If so then I would suggest the Sigma 18-50 f2.8......or 18-125 f3.5 - 5.6 or the 17-70 F2.8-4.5

I received an 18-200vr (nikon) with one of my new to me used D300 and I am actually liking it even tho it is a 3.5-5.6......it is light weight and sharp as a tack from the few I have shot with it so far...........

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Curtis M.Curtis M. Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    First really look over and compare the D300 to the D90.....I got one great deal off here and another off Ebay....both used but save some dough for extra lenses........

As far as lenses go.....were yu happy with the 18-55 canon lens?? If so then I would suggest the Sigma 18-50 f2.8......or 18-125 f3.5 - 5.6 or the 17-70 F2.8-4.5

I received an 18-200vr (nikon) with one of my new to me used D300 and I am actually liking it even tho it is a 3.5-5.6......it is light weight and sharp as a tack from the few I have shot with it so far...........

HTH

Honestly, no I was not too impressed with the lens. I had to get really close to what I was shooting.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    Curtis M. wrote:
    ... I find I shoot a lot of night landscape. As well as everyday street life. Is there a good lens that would be sufficient for both?

The Nikon user interface is more traditional to older film SLRs but the Canon middle and professional camera interface is much better than the entry level cameras' interface, so you might explore them as well.

For that matter, Pentax and Olympus make excellent cameras and their user interface is very traditional as well.

If you need high-ISO then the Nikon D90 should work nicely as would many of the Canon middle line. I do like the Nikon mirror-lock-up on the D300 but I don't think that the D90 has it. Then again, the old work-a-round is to just use a long exposure and open the shutter with something covering the lens and then remove the cover after a second or so (when mirror shake has disipated.) Shooting from live view mode can also help but it also heats up the sensor which can lead to more sensor noise.

As for lenses, you should look at your images' EXIF to determine what focal lengths and apertures worked for you, then seek out lenses with the appropriate properties, adjusting for any deficiencies from your previous experiences.

For instance, if the 50mm end was never long enough or if the 18mm end was never wide enough, you might need to purchase lenses beyond those limits. If the range of the previous lens was fine but you just needed a larger aperture then look for that attribute.

For street photography it is not unusual to mate lenses to the individual style of shooting. Shooters that like working close to their subjects will like lenses with shorter focal lengths than thos shooters than either have elusive subjects or who feel more comfortable at a distance from the subjects.

Zoom lenses with relatively short ranges and larger apertures tend to be the best quality but generally cost the most as well.

While you might find a single lens to cover both of your applications of night landscapes "and" street photography, I would probably recommend several lenses to cover a larger number of circumstances.

If you can let us know what focal lengths worked well for you, what focal lengths you could have used, and the circumstances you would like to shoot in, we could lend more opinion about what specific lenses might work.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums