Options

Ideas/Help for building studio

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
First, if this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.

Second, I have a portion of my home that I'm considering turning into a "mini-studio", of sorts. I MUCH prefer shooting on location, but in West Texas, the wind often wreaks havoc.

My dimensions are 6 x 12, however, one of the 12 ft. walls is a wall of windows. The windows face my car port, so there is quite a bit of filtered light from them. There are two 32" x 32" sky lights in the ceiling and one 12' sliding glass door on one of the 6' walls. This leaves one 6' wall and one 12' wall (that will be built) that are "blank". I think I will be able to do an enormous amount with the natural light, a strobe and reflectors. However, I'm looking for ideas for where/how to set up.

My husband can build me a backdrop rail system and I already have electricity back there... so... any ideas???

If you think a drawing of the space would help, let me know and I'll get one done.

Thanks, in advance!
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    with a 6x12 space......you won't be doing much more than head shots to maybe 3/4.........if you shoot using the windows then cars and car port might be in shot,,,,,it is a great idea for natural light or for those far off looking shoots with the subject gazing out window but the background will be objectionable.......

Tell hubby since he is building....to enlarge to a minimum of 16 x 20 or 25 feet.......now you could use full size standard backdrops.....shoot small groups if you want to.......

so one blank 5'wall and the blank 12'wall .....paint the 6' wall and floor black......for a continuous seamless black backdrop just in case you have a wide enuff lens to shoot a full length pose......take the solid 12' wall and paint 2 different colors floor to ceiling for backdrops......use flat paint.....now you have 3 backdrops to work with.....get hubby to devise a rail system for your lights (can see them at B&H website) to keep floor clear of clutter.....make sure AC outlets are up high near ceiling also for same reason........

I will revist if anything else slaps me up side the head.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Thank you soooooo much! This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for and I'm "using" this post to try and point out the obvious! (It ALWAYS makes more sense when the suggestions come from another MALE)!!!!

Thank you again...

Hoping to have a new studio in the next 30 days!!
    --Marjohn :-)
    Art Scott wrote:
    with a 6x12 space......you won't be doing much more than head shots to maybe 3/4.........if you shoot using the windows then cars and car port might be in shot,,,,,it is a great idea for natural light or for those far off looking shoots with the subject gazing out window but the background will be objectionable.......

Tell hubby since he is building....to enlarge to a minimum of 16 x 20 or 25 feet.......now you could use full size standard backdrops.....shoot small groups if you want to.......

so one blank 5'wall and the blank 12'wall .....paint the 6' wall and floor black......for a continuous seamless black backdrop just in case you have a wide enuff lens to shoot a full length pose......take the solid 12' wall and paint 2 different colors floor to ceiling for backdrops......use flat paint.....now you have 3 backdrops to work with.....get hubby to devise a rail system for your lights (can see them at B&H website) to keep floor clear of clutter.....make sure AC outlets are up high near ceiling also for same reason........

I will revist if anything else slaps me up side the head.
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Thank you soooooo much! This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for and I'm "using" this post to try and point out the obvious! (It ALWAYS makes more sense when the suggestions come from another MALE)!!!!

Thank you again...

Hoping to have a new studio in the next 30 days!!
    --Marjohn :-)

I am glad to help.......1 thingI did forget........
    ceiling height......should be a min of 12 feet and 15 would be better.......there will come a time when you will want to shoot down on a subject.....done a lot for boudoir photos at V-day and such.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website