Yet another newbie with another D90 vs D300 question

SwissiesSwissies Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 25, 2009 in Cameras
Hello everyone,

I'd greatly appreciate your input on my little dilemma as I know there have been quite a few threads about the D90 vs D300 and lenses. I currently have a Canon G9. I'm primarily shooting animals. Typically, dogs, dog shows and working dog events, which can be outdoor and indoor events, but I also like portraits and nature. You can see some of my photos at http://swissies.smugmug.com if you want to know a bit more about the things I have been photographing. A pre-warning, I am an armature and do not claim to be anywhere near a pro. Though, I wish I could be that good one day.

I really liked my friends Nikon D80, so I was pretty sure I was going to get the D90 two lens kit on Amazon but then I saw a thread saying the kit lenses aren't the greatest lenses and to save for better glass. Then I thought I would get a D90 with a Nikon 18-200-mm-f/3.5-5.6G-ED-IF-AF-S-DX-VR-II-Autofocus-Lens. At the suggestion of another thread I went to the camera stores to see how it felt. I like the way it feels but so far I have yet to find a store with a working D90... for some reason they are all broken. Knowing I shouldn't, I picked up a D300 and loved the way that felt. Not to mention the 6 fps. Now I'm torn. My budget isn't the highest but I could squeeze in a D300 with one lens and memory card or I could get the D90 (maybe) two lenses and a few extra accessories. I'm starting new here so I don't have anything for a DSLR including a bag.

What would you suggest?
D90 or D300?
Kit lenses or one lens?
Is the 18-200mm even the right lens?

Thank you in advance for your input.

P.S. If you happen to have looked at the pictures, I'm open to comments and constructive criticism.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I have sorta been in your boat for a while, but I was switching from Konica Minolta (now sony) to Nikon (or another company like Oly, or canon).....I looked long and hard and for my shooting I needed the extra sealing that the D300 offers and it feels like a charm in yourh hands....as you stated......so I started the search and I picked up a used very low actuations off ebay it came with a 18-200 VR lens and that lens has surprised me as to it tack sharpness and fast focus............

I have purchased several cams off ebay due to the fact they offer an aftermarket warranty on most items (so far everyting I have tried to purchase a warranty for I havebeen able to...not just large ticket items).....so for me to buy off Ebay as opposed to other forums that warranty means quite a bit if the cam takles hit out in the woods or while wshooting anywhere............

so my suggestions would be......seacrh Ebay for cam+lens combo's used and save some money.....
    Without knowing what you really shoot....I will suggest you also look into Sigma lenses (which I have used for over 25+ yrs)....not cheaply made but less expensive than Nikon lenses in most cases.........

I would also go to NewEgg and pick up some Transcend Memory cards for which ever camera you decided to get........and getting cards under 2gb is a waste in my opinon.....I have 2gb cards but most of mine are now 8gb and I will be adding some 16gb cards in the very near future........TRanscends are everybit as good as SAnDisk or Lexar.....I have owned both......they all fail at some point and for me the Transcends have lived the longest with the most abuse / use..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Comments On Gallery Photos
    The windmill could have been really good if: 1- remove electrical wiring....2- need clouds in an otherwise boring sky......3- may have been more powerful getting a full lenght landscape shot (whether in portrait orientation or landscape orientation.) or a nice sunset

The moon shot.....needed either less time (shutter speed ) or more aperture (maybe 5.6, 6.3 or even 8) to make the definition really stand out.......

Brinka showing off her ribbons......great shot but needed fill flash to be able to see here eyes......treat animals as people with fill lighting.........

Bruiser Bones......good shot.....but I would have like to have seen the shot mpre from the front and also showing what kind of vehicle he is pulling......I believe shooting from more from the front you caould have accomplished showing his muscularity and let us se the vehicle at the same time........

Ruby and Brinka and Miki in harness......the leashes need to be removed......if dogs will not hold (sit and stay) for a few snaps then remove the leashes in post processing....also with Miki....a little whistle ot get head turned a bit more toward camera and violia a fantastic pic (for got need to remove what Miki is tied too.....

Suki birds eye................I would rather see the beak than the back of head/neck....or get closer to the eye for a more indepth look into the eye..........

As far as the rest go..........bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclapthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif....keep up the good work.....

.......... and share on Dgrin by actually posting to the forums......you will get more comments by actually posting rather than linking to a gallery......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    if you do dog shows stick with the d300. Ideally:

d300 + 70-200mm vr 2.8

The 18-200mm vr is a good lens bordering on great. It is not a great lens though but obviously it has a very good zoom range. If you do not intend to take the dog photos to the higest levels then this lens will suffice.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SwissiesSwissies Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have sorta been in your boat for a while, but I was switching from Konica Minolta (now sony) to Nikon (or another company like Oly, or canon).....I looked long and hard and for my shooting I needed the extra sealing that the D300 offers and it feels like a charm in yourh hands....as you stated......so I started the search and I picked up a used very low actuations off ebay it came with a 18-200 VR lens and that lens has surprised me as to it tack sharpness and fast focus............

I have purchased several cams off ebay due to the fact they offer an aftermarket warranty on most items (so far everyting I have tried to purchase a warranty for I havebeen able to...not just large ticket items).....so for me to buy off Ebay as opposed to other forums that warranty means quite a bit if the cam takles hit out in the woods or while wshooting anywhere............

so my suggestions would be......seacrh Ebay for cam+lens combo's used and save some money.....
    Without knowing what you really shoot....I will suggest you also look into Sigma lenses (which I have used for over 25+ yrs)....not cheaply made but less expensive than Nikon lenses in most cases.........

I would also go to NewEgg and pick up some Transcend Memory cards for which ever camera you decided to get........and getting cards under 2gb is a waste in my opinon.....I have 2gb cards but most of mine are now 8gb and I will be adding some 16gb cards in the very near future........TRanscends are everybit as good as SAnDisk or Lexar.....I have owned both......they all fail at some point and for me the Transcends have lived the longest with the most abuse / use..................

If only I could have found a working D90 I would have never picked up the D300 knowing it was slightly out of my budget. Thank you for the ideas. I'll take a look at the sites and cards you mentioned. :D
    edited June 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    The windmill could have been really good if: 1- remove electrical wiring....2- need clouds in an otherwise boring sky......3- may have been more powerful getting a full lenght landscape shot (whether in portrait orientation or landscape orientation.) or a nice sunset

The moon shot.....needed either less time (shutter speed ) or more aperture (maybe 5.6, 6.3 or even 8) to make the definition really stand out.......

Brinka showing off her ribbons......great shot but needed fill flash to be able to see here eyes......treat animals as people with fill lighting.........

Bruiser Bones......good shot.....but I would have like to have seen the shot mpre from the front and also showing what kind of vehicle he is pulling......I believe shooting from more from the front you caould have accomplished showing his muscularity and let us se the vehicle at the same time........

Ruby and Brinka and Miki in harness......the leashes need to be removed......if dogs will not hold (sit and stay) for a few snaps then remove the leashes in post processing....also with Miki....a little whistle ot get head turned a bit more toward camera and violia a fantastic pic (for got need to remove what Miki is tied too.....

Suki birds eye................I would rather see the beak than the back of head/neck....or get closer to the eye for a more indepth look into the eye..........

As far as the rest go..........bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclapthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif....keep up the good work.....

.......... and share on Dgrin by actually posting to the forums......you will get more comments by actually posting rather than linking to a gallery......
    Great suggestions! So far the pictures I have are straight from the camera as I'm still learning how to use post processing programs. I'll definitely work on those tips.

It might take me a while to muster up the courage to actually post pictures on the forum though. I better start learning those programs.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions. :D
    edited June 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    if you do dog shows stick with the d300. Ideally:

d300 + 70-200mm vr 2.8

The 18-200mm vr is a good lens bordering on great. It is not a great lens though but obviously it has a very good zoom range. If you do not intend to take the dog photos to the higest levels then this lens will suffice.
    I would love the 70-200mm. iloveyou.gif It's on my wish list but currently it is out of my price range, which is why I was thinking of the 18-200mm. Unless, there is something in between that might be in my budget. Though, if I opt for the D300 my glass budget decreases... But I do love that combo (D300 + 70-200mm vr 2.8).

I think I'll look around a bit more at the D300 prices and see if I can't make it work.

Thank you very much for your input! :D
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Swissies wrote:
    I would love the 70-200mm. iloveyou.gif It's on my wish list but currently it is out of my price range...
    From experience, I can tell you I got great images with my puny D40 and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I still remember the hesitation, buying a lens (first time buying used), and costing more used than my camera to begin with! I am so happy I have that lens now, as that fixed f/2.8 is a godsend. Sure, I'd love a Nikon 70-200, but that's out of my price range for the next millennium, so the Sigma was the best buy I could do, and honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not going Nikon.

If I were a pro, I'd be a little wary, or maybe spot more differences, but I think you'd be pleased with a D90 or a D300, and a nice Sigma or Tamron lens. My experience has been with Sigma, but people swear by Tamron too, so, take your pick. Also, Art Scott from above swears by Sigma, so he'd probably be a great help with picking Sigma gear.

Let me know if you want me to shoot some test pics and send them your way, you can request the type of shots you'd like (yeah, I'm bored and a shooting assignment would be fun!).

HTH,
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Which ever camera, consider picking up a second battery and a second memory card. Nothing worse than seeing a great shot and not being able to use the camera.
    edited June 24, 2009
    I'll look into the Sigma's too. That might be a better financial option for now.

Bandgeekndb, if you wouldn't mind shooting some pictures that would be great. I usually end up photographing a lot of dogs and animals in motion. If you have the time and there is local dog park or equestrian center, I'd be interested in seeing how the pictures of them in motion come out.

DaC, very good idea. I've added those to my list of things to get.

I'm still torn. The more I think about it and the more stores I visit the more I want the D300 but the list of accessories keeps growing. I finally found a working D90 tonight but the 4.5 fps burst wasn't working and the guy couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Is anyone with a D90 experiencing any problems with theirs?

Just wondering if it's bad luck or a sign telling me I should get the D300...
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    its a sign... lol

I shoot canon but have Nikon friends and occasionally shoot with their gear. (sleeping with the enemy.. sorry 50D i have affairs now and then...) I say go D300 with a sigma 70-200 f2.8 or f4 (4 is a lot cheaper and if you're outside a lot you don't really NEED 2.8)...

the 70-200mm f2.8 Canon IS/Nikon VR is deffinately out of my price range and most NORMAL people too!
    Jer
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    My D90 has been great. I have not had any problems with it. You need to make sure you work with somebody knowledgeable on the functions of the camera. There is a setting for a slow burst or fast burst(4.5 FPS), if that's not ON the camera will only take one picture at a time.
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Swissies wrote:
    I would love the 70-200mm. iloveyou.gif It's on my wish list but currently it is out of my price range, which is why I was thinking of the 18-200mm. Unless, there is something in between that might be in my budget. Though, if I opt for the D300 my glass budget decreases... But I do love that combo (D300 + 70-200mm vr 2.8).
    OK, I was in EXACTLY the same boat. Here is what I did.

I got the NIKON 80-200 f2.8. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index3.htm

Reviewed: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200.htm

This lens completely kicks rear end. The only thing that it does not have is the VR or internal silent wave motor. The D-300 will drive this without a problem though. Since this is an older version lens, you can pick one up NEW for $1000-$1200 easily. Perhaps even a little cheaper if you shop for a sale.

Honestly, after going through what I did to get my D-300, I just could not put a generic brand lens on it... Personal preference, that's all.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I'm a complete n00b only recently starting to play with photography. I ended up going with the D90 and 18-200 lens. So far, I'm loving it wings.gif

Here's a couple shots straight from the camera, no post processing...

569891392_cEErX-M.jpg

569900049_QZ3dp-M.jpg

562410236_Rcwxg-M.jpg

520550284_8F536-M.jpg

I've found the camera to be hugely versatile and very flattering to my lack of technique thumb.gif
    edited June 25, 2009
    its a sign... lol

I shoot canon but have Nikon friends and occasionally shoot with their gear. (sleeping with the enemy.. sorry 50D i have affairs now and then...) I say go D300 with a sigma 70-200 f2.8 or f4 (4 is a lot cheaper and if you're outside a lot you don't really NEED 2.8)...

Hi Jeremy,

That's kind of what I was thinking, too. One of my friends just got a 50D and is having a lot of fun with it. I hope your 50D doesn't get to jealous of your frolicking with the enemy. lol

Thank you for your input. I'll take a closer look at that lens.
    edited June 25, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    My D90 has been great. I have not had any problems with it. You need to make sure you work with somebody knowledgeable on the functions of the camera. There is a setting for a slow burst or fast burst(4.5 FPS), if that's not ON the camera will only take one picture at a time.

Ok, I'll go back and see if it was on the rite setting. Maybe the guy was confused. We could only get it to take 2 pictures on a burst.

Have you had any issues with the D90 not having the weather sealants the D300 has? I'll be outdoors a lot and that was one of my concerns with it.

Thank you for your in site.
    edited June 25, 2009
    Hi MLangton.

I remember reading your forum but I didn't recall which lens you ended up getting. That's a nice lens but might still be out of my budget if I opt for the D300.

I've been reading Ken Rockewell's site and that's kind of how I originally decided on the D90 with a 18-200mm f/2.8 but then I read your forum. I ended up going to stores to see make sure that was what I wanted and well... that is how I have now ended up in this predicament. lol

I'll check around some sites to see how much the 80-200 is on sale.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    edited June 25, 2009
    Hi Mav,

That is the same set up I was thinking of getting when I went to the store to check out the D90. :D

Nice pictures. thumb.gif Have you tried the 4.5 bursts on moving targets, yet? If so, how did you like the way they came out?

I tried the 4 fps burst on the D5000 but the pictures were slightly out of focus. I wanted to see if that happened on the D90 but as I mentioned earlier the guy and I couldn't get it to work.

Thank you for posting the pictures. That's a pretty cool looking bike, too.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Swissies wrote:
    Hi Mav,

That is the same set up I was thinking of getting when I went to the store to check out the D90. :D

Nice pictures. thumb.gif Have you tried the 4.5 bursts on moving targets, yet? If so, how did you like the way they came out?

I tried the 4 fps burst on the D5000 but the pictures were slightly out of focus. I wanted to see if that happened on the D90 but as I mentioned earlier the guy and I couldn't get it to work.

Thank you for posting the pictures. That's a pretty cool looking bike, too.

I've not had any issues with the 4.5fps - here is a photo a friend took of me using the high speed shooting:

545766623_PHvCS-L.jpg

Here are a couple of my galleries that I took with the D90 set up:

http://mav21.smugmug.com/gallery/8636449_J82aw#569901897_7kyA5

http://mav21.smugmug.com/gallery/8327508_YXxqR#546458912_gds6q

Thanks for the compliments about the pics - like I said: the camera is very flattering thumb.gif