B & W

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
I've been seeing so many gorgeous black and white shots. I'd like to contribute these. C & C always welcomed.

570604973_PpnDA-L.jpg

570604828_Q2BhB-L.jpg

570604852_43orA-L.jpg

570604816_GExgb-L.jpg

533568248_REbio-L.jpg

533564108_DivYn-L.jpg

I know this one doesn't belong here, but it's one of my favorite B&Ws.

The House of Light
570605046_V9vFc-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Nice........... 5 & 6 Sepia?
    Rags
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Very nice!

#2 is nice, but I think a little too much shadow on the right side. There needs to be at least a hint of facial features on the right side IMO.

#3 is a little blown out on the top of the head - but I can see that it's a challenging shot to expose, given that it's got a lot of range.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    #2 and #4 are particularly notable. I don't know how I feel about the darkness of #2---I think it would be great with more detail on the left side of the face, but then again, it's kind of a suitably menacing dichotomy the way it is. I don't know . . . #4 is so peaceful, the lighting is perfect (to my eye, which doesn't necessarily mean anything!).

FWIW.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I think #1 is by far your best effort - like it a lot!

Cheers,
    Jon

#2 and #4 are particularly notable. I don't know how I feel about the darkness of #2---I think it would be great with more detail on the left side of the face, but then again, it's kind of a suitably menacing dichotomy the way it is. I don't know . . . #4 is so peaceful, the lighting is perfect (to my eye, which doesn't necessarily mean anything!).

FWIW.
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    jvgphoto wrote:
    I think #1 is by far your best effort - like it a lot!

Cheers,
    Jon

Include me on this bandwagon!
    I like whats goin on in the 'picture within the picture' (sunglass reflection).
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I like whats goin on in the 'picture within the picture' (sunglass reflection).

I agree as well! Even though you have cropped this one in close, you still can see what this person is doing, without seeing what he's doing! :D

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks for all of the comments my friends.

#1 was the hardest one to convert to B&W. In the original photo, the sunglasses have a blue tint. When I first converted it, it didn't have the same impact as the color photo. The framing, (full 200mm focal, not crop) was to give the allusion of him doing something out of the frame. (Extra points to who can guess what he's preparing.) The challenge came when I needed to figure out how to convert to B&W, but keep everything clear, without risking the exposure. What I ended up doing was two B&W's of the same picture. One exposing for the face, and the other for the sunglasses. I was satisfied with the final result.

#2 was really more of a 'fun' shot that anything else. The expression was sort of showing the menace side of him. That's the reason why there was no fill on the camera right.

#3 as you can tell, was the toughest one to expose. My camera doesn't have the dynamic range to expose for all of that detail. And it showed once the picture was converted to B&W. I'm pretty fond of the framing and how the shadow covers the double chin he had. I attempted to mute the blown highlights, but it took away from the picture, so I left it as is.

#4 the young fisherwoman apprentice. I like it overall. Peacfull, calm, a genuine expression of intrest and intrigue. Nothing is sweeter or more innocent than the curiosity of a child.

#5 #6 are both sepia. I'm not sure what the question was refering to. Whether the colors were displaying incorrectly, or if the addition of a color tone disqualifies those as B&Ws. From what I know, those are B&W's with a sepia tone, and still fall under the B&W family. I particularly like #5. Her hair is simply marvelous. The full face shot, was nice. But for some reason, she and I prefered this crop.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to look.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Thanks for all of the comments my friends.

#1 was the hardest one to convert to B&W. In the original photo, the sunglasses have a blue tint. When I first converted it, it didn't have the same impact as the color photo. The framing, (full 200mm focal, not crop) was to give the allusion of him doing something out of the frame. (Extra points to who can guess what he's preparing.) The challenge came when I needed to figure out how to convert to B&W, but keep everything clear, without risking the exposure. What I ended up doing was two B&W's of the same picture. One exposing for the face, and the other for the sunglasses. I was satisfied with the final result.

Well done, Frank - great solution!
    Cheers,
    Jon
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    (Extra points to who can guess what he's preparing.)

Fishing tackle (????)
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Fishing tackle (????)

Winner!!!!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter