Reality Check.

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in People
I've been KILLING myself trying to get the SP.
Tell me what ya think, C&C welcomed - Thanks.

57954ad3498c4388af39b038cb57d2ca

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    it works! well exposed, in focus, clean and dramatic!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    it works! well exposed, in focus, clean and dramatic!thumb.gif

Thanks, Qarik..... I've been finding the SP thing,,,,,, TUFF - I have come to conclusion that I just don't 'take' a typical portrait. Once I moved away from getting that, this came to be in just one attempt.

Like me, it's simple (hence thread title). rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Love the tight Rembrandt lighting and the off-side eye. Very nice! thumb.gif
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nice! I like a good side-lit self portrait... (see my avatar).

Good B&W conversion too.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks, Diva.
    Thanks, Tim.

Its appreciated.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Diva, I don't mean to contradict you, but I don't believe that was Rembrandt lighting. I don't see the triangle under the eye. Also, this one is clearly lit to the side. Taditional Rembrandt is usually 45 degrees or so from the front and higher than where he had his light's positioned.ne_nau.gif

Buggs, all in all, this is a great SP. The B&W treatment add to the drama. Being a person that takes a lot of SPs, I can appreciate how difficult this could be. Especially if you don't have a remote shutter. I like this one alot. You have a piercing gaze and it was captured lovely here.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I also find it hard to do self portraits, though I'm sure if I practice more I'ld probably be more at ease with it, I just don't like the brutal honesty of the camera. Laughing.gif:D

I think this is a wonderful image, I really like the lighting. Sometimes I think about a portrait too long and too hard and forget that sometimes, all it takes is one light. Very nicely done.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Diva, I don't mean to contradict you, but I don't believe that was Rembrandt lighting. I don't see the triangle under the eye. Also, this one is clearly lit to the side. Taditional Rembrandt is usually 45 degrees or so from the front and higher than where he had his light's positioned.

Well, to me the triangle looks like it's small and actually on his eye, hence why I called it "tight" R lighting. Forgive me if I've stretched the definition beyond where it should go (I'm still a n00b!). It just seemed to me that with the eye itself in light, it was more related to R. than straight sidelighting. By all means correct me -I'm trying to learn and I seriously don't have all this stuff down pat yet, so corrections are good!!!! thumb.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    D'Buggs, it is a great self portrait. I do like the contrast just don't put this one on your business card......unless your a hitman!
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Well, to me the triangle looks like it's small and actually on his eye, hence why I called it "tight" R lighting. Forgive me if I've stretched the definition beyond where it should go (I'm still a n00b!). It just seemed to me that with the eye itself in light, it was more related to R. than straight sidelighting. By all means correct me -I'm trying to learn and I seriously don't have all this stuff down pat yet, so corrections are good!!!! thumb.gif

Diva, I'm still a noob also. LoL. I, in no way, meant to offend you. I'm just trying to understand the light/lighting also.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Diva, I'm still a noob also. LoL. I, in no way, meant to offend you. I'm just trying to understand the light/lighting also.

Offend me? rolleyes1.gif :lol4 You have to be kidding - I'm genuinely grateful! You're WAY more technically up on all the lighting stuff - I still find myself going on trial, error and luck (improving all the time and I'm starting to "know what I know", ie the stuff I use a lot, but outside that small realm I'm still seriously at the beginning of this journey!)
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Diva, I don't mean to contradict you, but I don't believe that was Rembrandt lighting. I don't see the triangle under the eye. Also, this one is clearly lit to the side. Taditional Rembrandt is usually 45 degrees or so from the front and higher than where he had his light's positioned.ne_nau.gif

Trevlan is correct on this. what gave me the eye and chin/cheek high-lite was from the "wrap-around" of a close sitting soft-box, 90dg off my beek.

Buggs, all in all, this is a great SP. The B&W treatment add to the drama. Being a person that takes a lot of SPs, I can appreciate how difficult this could be. Especially if you don't have a remote shutter. I like this one alot. You have a piercing gaze and it was captured lovely here.

Thanks! I have a remote but a tethered monitor would RULE in these efforts
    > A guy could reposition accordingly without leaving the chair.... That, or hire a Lovely Assistant to capture images. :D
    edited June 23, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    D'Buggs, it is a great self portrait. I do like the contrast just don't put this one on your business card......unless your a hitman!

Thanks Hack, I appreciate it.
    And no, not on bizz cards,,,,,,,, but I'm thinking beside the doorbell. headscratch.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    b8264d wrote:
    I also find it hard to do self portraits, though I'm sure if I practice more I'ld probably be more at ease with it, I just don't like the brutal honesty of the camera. Laughing.gif:D

I think this is a wonderful image, I really like the lighting. Sometimes I think about a portrait too long and too hard and forget that sometimes, all it takes is one light. Very nicely done.

EXACTLY where I got stuck!
    Keep trying. :D