Problem with D80

vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in Cameras
Using the D80 with 70-200 and 1.7 tc, after having the shutter button depressed to track focus when I release the button the lens starts to jump and a clicking noise is heard. As soon as I half depress the button again it stops. It didn't seem to affect the performance of the lens.
Wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    The VR function of the Nikkor 70-200mmm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR can make a light clicking noise when it is engaged and you may notice a slight "bump" in the viewfinder as the VR engages as well. If that's what is happeneing it is normal.

You can try turning off the VR and see if that identifies the sound for you (by elimination).

If you are saying that the sound is louder than normal and that a second shutter-button depress eliminates the abnormal sound then it might be time for Nikon service to take a look at the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The VR function of the Nikkor 70-200mmm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR can make a light clicking noise when it is engaged and you may notice a slight "bump" in the viewfinder as the VR engages as well. If that's what is happeneing it is normal.

You can try turning off the VR and see if that identifies the sound for you (by elimination).

If you are saying that the sound is louder than normal and that a second shutter-button depress eliminates the abnormal sound then it might be time for Nikon service to take a look at the lens.
    Thanks Ziggy,
    It's definitly not normal as I've shot 1000's of shots with this combo and it has never happened before. I will try turning off the vr and see if that makes a difference. Once I release the shutter button it will keep clicking and jumping until I depress it again.
    I hope I can hold off on service as I'm leaving for the region 1 soccer championships next week and really need the lens.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    My 70-300 VR started doing the same thing, In my case it was the VR, started clicking and then would stop. Sent it to Nikon, Fixed under warranty but the part was backordered, so it took about 2 months to get it back from them. :cry
    Works great now even focuses better than before.wings.gif

Good Luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    My 70-300 VR started doing the same thing, In my case it was the VR, started clicking and then would stop. Sent it to Nikon, Fixed under warranty but the part was backordered, so it took about 2 months to get it back from them. :cry
    Works great now even focuses better than before.wings.gif

Good Luck
    Thanks for the info Ted.

Hopefully I can get by until after regionals. Even if I have to turn off the VR.
    Then it sounds like it's time to send it in to Nikon.