DSS 28 Help please

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey guys/gals....looking for some advice for those of you with calibrated monitors. I posted my entry last night, but then when I looked at it again, and then on a different monitor, the colors felt too warm, so I played around with it and added a cooling filter. These are the two I have. I have other views, angles, etc, but liked this one best. A reshoot is certainly an option. Thanks in advance!
Karin

1. Current entry
570216983_eCAYL-M.jpg

2.Rework (cropped just a little too)
570663701_xFtGc-M.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    On my monitor, there is more contrast in the wood texture on number 1. I can also say the same for the baseball. Number 1 is great for me here :D
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Had to chime in, even though I'm on a non-calibrated work monitor....#1 looks really fantastic, nice warm feel. Love the composition.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Karl and whiterice, thank you for your thoughts...much appreciated:D
    Maybe I've just looked at it too muchne_nau.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I like the first version with its warm tones. It adds a nostalgic feel to the shot.

I'm wondering how this would look if you included the curvature of the top of the barrel in the shot?

Or, how about trying some shots at varying angles with the entire top of the barrel showing?
    edited June 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I like the first version with its warm tones. It adds a nostalgic feel to the shot.

I'm wondering how this would look if you included the curvature of the top of the barrel in the shot?

Or, how about trying some shots at varying angles with the entire top of the barrel showing?

Thanks Linda! I have tried some different angles, but I didn't try it with the whole barrel top showing, I'll give it a try...thanks!
    Karin

• Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The only thing I can add is that I prefer the 2nd re-worked one. While your original entry is really good, the overall warmth of the shot takes away from the title "Retired" in my opinion. While in the re-worked shot, the cool-ness hits the title square on and gives me more of an impression of loneliness.

So I say the cooler version (#2) is better suited to your title.

Tim
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    The only thing I can add is that I prefer the 2nd re-worked one. While your original entry is really good, the overall warmth of the shot takes away from the title "Retired" in my opinion. While in the re-worked shot, the cool-ness hits the title square on and gives me more of an impression of loneliness.

So I say the cooler version (#2) is better suited to your title.

Tim

Me too.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited June 22, 2009
    Tim, Kevin---troublemakersrolleyes1.gif gotta make it difficult now don't ya! Just kidding. If I were to come up with a different title, would you still prefer#2?
    Karin

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Any chance you could split the difference? ne_nau.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Tim, Kevin---troublemakersrolleyes1.gif gotta make it difficult now don't ya! Just kidding. If I were to come up with a different title, would you still prefer#2?
    I'd have to say yes. The cool tones is what I like about it. Just a little sharpening/contrast on the barrelhead should do it.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I'd have to say yes. The cool tones is what I like about it. Just a little sharpening/contrast on the barrelhead should do it.

15524779-Ti.gif

I like the cooler tones, it makes me stop and think a bit more than the warmer one.

Sorry to be a troublemaker mwink.gif :hide

Tim
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    and the warmer one made me think sunset... end of the day. Retired fit for me. Laughing.gif
    edited June 22, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I like the cooler tones, it makes me stop and think a bit more than the warmer one.

Sorry to be a troublemaker mwink.gif :hide

Tim

No worries I was just kidding! Thanks for the additional thoughts Tim and Kevin...guess I need to think on this some moreheadscratch.gif
    Karin

edited June 22, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    and the warmer one made me think sunset... end of the day. Retired fit for me. Laughing.gif

It was taken end of the day, I think that is kinda what I was thinking too....
    thanks dnie!
    Karin

edited June 22, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Any chance you could split the difference? ne_nau.gif

Sadly Mark, this was my split between...here is my other extreme..
    At least there's still time to play with it...thanks for your thoughts

570166285_noNFX-M.jpg
    Karin

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hello Karin..wave.gif

I was wondering if you were going to give us a shot after seeing it in the gallery...

I read everyone's input and looked them over.. It is a tough call.. I agree with Linda,,, the warm shot looks more nostalgic, however, I agree with the boys in that the cooler effect wins out for the retired look, only because the warmer look says "home and hearth to me", so it makes you think a child has forgotten or left it behind for the day, close to home, maybe in the backyard...but the cooler looks more weathered, thus forgotten for some long period of time.. am I making any sense.? so they both work for the title.

I like the idea,, again, I agree with Linda.. try different angles and comps..

I would try one with the entire top circle of the barrel .. So, if I had to try and get that circle in the comp, and not shoot from directly above, as that may not look good, this is what I would personally do..

I would tip that barrel over, then place the ball beside it in the grass so it looks like a child forgot it or lost it.. then I would shoot from as low on the ground as possible.. This way you get 2 circles in the shot, plus the feeling that this ball truly is lost and forgotten,,,, hidden away on the ground..

That is my best advice. however if you decide to go with what you have here, I put my vote in for #1.. I like the yellow look, but only if you can tone it down. It looks too yellow.. and thus looks like you applied a filter.. try to make it look more naturally yellow.. just tone it down a tiny bit maybe? I like the cool look too, but I am not fond of the pinks..

There, gave my best advice.. and....... hope I helped,,, and did not confuse..thumb.gif

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hello Karin..wave.gif

I would tip that barrel over, then place the ball beside it in the grass so it looks like a child forgot it or lost it.. then I would shoot from as low on the ground as possible.. This way you get 2 circles in the shot, plus the feeling that this ball truly is lost and forgotten,,,, hidden away on the ground..
    Kat

Oh, that sounds like an interesting shot.

I have to say, personally, I like the warmer tones. But that's just me. A slight sharpening would really do the trick too.

:D
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hello Karin..wave.gif

There, gave my best advice.. and....... hope I helped,,, and did not confuse..thumb.gif

Kat

Thanks Kat! Your critques are always so thorough and I appreciate that! You offer up some great suggestions, so when I get time to reshoot, I will keep those ideas in mind...thanks again!
    Karin

edited June 22, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Oh, that sounds like an interesting shot.

I have to say, personally, I like the warmer tones. But that's just me. A slight sharpening would really do the trick too.

:D

Thanks for chiming in Brian! It seems to be a toss up of what works better, the warm tones or cool tones. Perhaps I will play with it more and find a good happy in between as Mark suggested!
    Karin

edited June 22, 2009
    Okay, haven't been able to do a reshoot today, but I did play with the processing some more, is this any better??? I still plan to reshoot, but if time and weather do not permit, I'd like to submit the best that I can... is this feeling any better?

571321602_u6Ztu-M.jpg
    Karin

edited June 22, 2009
    Gorgeous Color Work Karin.. I iloveyou.gif it......

No CC... Just Great Color....thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 23, 2009
    Gorgeous Color Work Karin.. I iloveyou.gif it......

No CC... Just Great Color....thumb.gif

Kat

yeeaahhhhclap.gif Thanks Kat for the vote of confidence!
    Karin

edited June 23, 2009
    Your Welcome Miss Karin,,, Don't ya just love it when we stop nit picking..
    hehe..:D:D:D:D

Seriously,, well done, it looks and feels as if it is sitting in the shade.. Very natural look and feel..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat