Options

More Baseball

OldakerOldaker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited June 22, 2009 in Sports
Hello
Well after a ton of shots over the weekend, i went to a baseball game last night and took some more, and thought i would post a pic and a link to the gallery and see if i am getting any better or what you think
They let me on the field beside the dugout to take pictures.
Nikon D90, 70-200 2.8 VR, ISO set to auto and most on aperature mode
http://www.oldakerphotography.com/gallery/8644714_qnyNb#570432989_CxhXZ

570435315_r5vjy-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Oldaker,
    I have the same setup, and was wondering about shooting sports too. I see that you shot in the evening and some of your shots are at ISO 3200. As I look at them in size x3, I wonder about you focal point... is it on the face or body, as most of the faces look soft. Being that you are shooting at F2.8, you do not have much depth of field for a sharp image on the subject.

I suffer from the problem and at first I thought there was a problem with either the lens or camera. jfriend told me about a depth of field calculator it is located at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html You may find this interesting or may already know about it, but it definitely is a help to me... I did not realize how shallow f2.8 is.

So other than that, looks like you are doing good. I am not trying to be critical, these are what I see as problems that I am having... Being a newbie, I could be expecting way to much from the equipment that we have, and you may be doing everything near perfect. I await other replies so I know what to expect when doing the same type of shooting.

Best wishes and happy shooting.
    Kelly
  • Options
    OldakerOldaker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    ya were in the same boat
    and i have a hard time when i shoot at 2.8 to get focused on the face, because it is so touchy there, after i go back and look at the shots on the computer, i am focused on the fence in a lot of them when i try to focus on the face, just really touchy there
    plus, how does the focus lock buttoms work on the 70-200 2.8?
    i have just been trying to focus on face then holding the focus lock button, then move around on the batter where i need to be
  • Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Oldaker wrote:
    ya were in the same boat
    and i have a hard time when i shoot at 2.8 to get focused on the face, because it is so touchy there, after i go back and look at the shots on the computer, i am focused on the fence in a lot of them when i try to focus on the face, just really touchy there
    plus, how does the focus lock buttoms work on the 70-200 2.8?
    i have just been trying to focus on face then holding the focus lock button, then move around on the batter where i need to be

Glad to see that I am not the only one (sorry!). I would try using somewhere between f4 and f5 and see what you get. Also by setting the AF button on the top of the camera to AF-S, it will lock when you depress the shutter button halfway down, then you can move the camera and finish the shot. This stuff is new to me, but slowly I am starting to get the hang of it. If you set it to AF-C is will try to continually focus... great for motocross! AF-A will try it's best to determine what type of focusing to do.

I am not sure how experienced you are, but maybe these will help a little. This is my first DSLR and I got it for Christmas, so that says NEWBIE big time.

Kelly