How to recognize colors?

amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited June 22, 2009 in Finishing School
Ok I am struggling with this part of PP. I am at least now to the point that I can often recognize a cast when I see one. But identifying the cast- I suck at it. How can you tell the difference between red and magenta? How do you pull red out of one person's pale white flushed face when they are next to a perfectly golden toned face without mess up that person's skin tone? How do I know exactly HOW to tweak these colors the right way to remove these casts.

I think I so far only have blues and oranges down- and those are usually easy to fix with the temp slider in Lightroom. And the Lightroom white balance dropper- it either sucks or I suck at using it. lol No luck with that bugger!

Is there a book, a website ANYthing that can help me learn how to recognize the different casts and how to get rid of'em? For now I am going to have to rely heavily on Bay Photo's color correcting (I would use it anyway but just as insurance) because I can't always spot these things.

Sorry for allll the questions I seem to keep posting. Hopefully one day I'll have something to offer here. :rolleyes

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Lightroom only? In Photoshop there are all kinds of things you can do which are unavailable in Lightroom so far as I know.
    If not now, when?
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Lightroom only? In Photoshop there are all kinds of things you can do which are unavailable in Lightroom so far as I know.

I have Lightroom 2, Elements 6 (as close to Photoshop as my poor self can get) and PaintShop Pro x2 (that I never use anymore). The color correcting tools in any of them are not super accurate most of the time. I trials Capture NX2 and they have a double threshhold tool and it color corrected amazingly well. I ws torn between LR2 and NX2- and LR2 won out but I miss that tool. It was heck easy to use and worked everytime (easily allowed me to set white, gray and black points within seconds).

I don't know how different Elements and full PS are with how some of the diff things work. My big things is developing my eye for picking out casts with my own eye. Is there a book or tool or something that can help me develop this skill?headscratch.gif