One for Dss#28

Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
edited June 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi guys, I've managed to squeeze a little time to do a pic for this challenge in enough time to get your opinions on it.

When I saw the theme for this one I immediately thought of scrabble, and this is my first go at it,

570782728_ig6Gd-L-1.jpg

Any thoughts on it? What could I do to improve it? And any thoughts on a title for it?

Tim

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Love this idea. I thought of a checkerboard game we have, but not scrabble. My only problem with it was that I found my self struggling to read all the words (Good choices BTW)... but that could just be my eyes.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I'd like to see it without the shallow DOF. It's a very fun idea and a possible title could be "It's all in the letters".

Karl
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    karlabbott wrote:
    I'd like to see it without the shallow DOF.

I was thinking the exact opposite. Really shallow with just enough room to make out the scrabble board. Love the concept.
    Steve

Website
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    If you keep using the shallow depth of field, try lowering the camera angle so that it is looking at the tiles more "dead on" instead of "top down". It'll more closely mimic the POV of a seated player.

Nice shot! thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I love this idea! Very creative. clap.gif

I agree with Mark's comment about trying to mimic the POV of a seated player.
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ok, having still got the shot set up I took a few more shots using the suggestions given,

570806077_kxL3S-L.jpg

570818840_sNXk9-L.jpg

570818247_mUnTz-L.jpg

Tim
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I love this idea! Very creative. clap.gif

I agree with Mark's comment about trying to mimic the POV of a seated player.

I agree with this too...I'm also wondering how it would look if all of the letter holders(or whatever you call them) were up against the board like the one in front? Just an idea...great conceptthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Oh, guess I was typing while you were posting! (I can't text fast either, my kids always joke about it!)
    Of your new ones I like the one that is marked#3thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Oh, guess I was typing while you were posting! (I can't text fast either, my kids always joke about it!)
    Of your new ones I like the one that is marked#3thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks guys thumb.gif I'm leaning towards #3 as well.

Tim
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Yes...#3 for me too. thumb.gif I love the b&w, but I'm just curious how the color version looks side-by-side to the b&w.
    edited June 22, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Yes...#3 for me too. thumb.gif I love the b&w, but I'm just curious how the color version looks side-by-side to the b&w.

It looks awful, the table is a really awful orangy yellow color that I wasnt able to tame in pp to any sort of acceptable hue. I was kinda forced into making this a B&W as I dont have another table type surface to re-create this on.

Tim
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hi Tim...

I like #2... #3 is awesome too with that perspective.. I favor #2 for (2) reasons.

The board itself is a square and it adds an additional square element to the composition and the contrast is very nice..

The other reason is you have the words "squared" front and center, which is a totally awesome idea by the way...kuddos..

However, then I look up and you have chopped the largest square in the composition all up.. headscratch.gif took the corners right off of it. hehe.rolleyes1.gif

you get my point..:D:D

If it was me, I would shoot it like #3 since that is "your fav" and the most popular, but leave the largest square on the largest subject "square"..thumb.gif

P.S. if ya do reshoot,, I would also "center" the words "squared" just a nit, because well,,, it says squared,,, and my mind tends to want to see it symmetrical and "squared off in the frame.. not only front and "center" but front and (center)...lol (grin)

You did awesome.. super creative idea.. especially with the "squared" word up front.. love it..iloveyou.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    It looks awful, the table is a really awful orangy yellow color that I wasnt able to tame in pp to any sort of acceptable hue. I was kinda forced into making this a B&W as I dont have another table type surface to re-create this on.

Tim

Fair enough.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I really like #3. Crop just a touch off the left side and call this one done.
    Steve

Website
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ok, so I took another shot at it and following some of Kat's suggestions (or at least what I interpretated from Kat's post ne_nau.gif )

571022806_XkhB3-L.jpg

571022232_sxqyE-L.jpg

571021802_bxAsS-L.jpg

So, any of these tickle your fancy?

Tim
    edited June 22, 2009
    Definitely #5 and 6!thumb.gif However, 7 is nice too.

Sorry. I like all 3.:D
    edited June 22, 2009
    W-o-w
    uhhhhhhhhhhhh wow........eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Man,, you went and made them all super Tim.. how am I supposed to pick now?

Thanks for squaring things off and giving us back the corners... Very STRONG entry here Tim..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Not kidding when I say I like them "all"

however, I need to pick so the strongest is #5 IMHO...

#6 second, and #7 third..

that is the order I personally pick..

Super, creative and clean job. your giving us a run for our money..thumb.gif
    edited June 22, 2009
    It took me an age working out all the words with a dictionary and several online scrabble dictionaries (4 I think) eek7.gifscratch Then trying to get all the letters lined up and then not knocking the board and having to do it all over again.

Thanks guys for your kind comments, and more especially, thank you for giving me some direction on this theme. bowdown.gifbow

Please keep on listing your fav's and also let me know anything that needs attention or fixing to make it better.

Tim
    edited June 22, 2009
    well since you asked.. lol

#7 is strong too, if ya open up the crop on the sides and spin it towards us to where the word squared is smack in our face and maybe crop up to the word squared a little more so it sits right up front..thumb.gif

so for now my vote is still for #5...

Kat