C&C Kids at sunset

wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
A few shots of my kids at sunset. These were taken with a D300, kit 18-135 lens, SB-800 with included diffuser camera left.

One additional factor for C&C: we were on the end of a pier. My kids were literally at the back end, and my wife was on the left edge, holding the flash with one hand while trying to make silly things happen above my head with the other hand to get the kids to laugh and look at the camera. There was not room for her to move more to the left.

I'm interested in any comments anyone might have on what might have made the pictures better, particularly given the constraints. I realize a reflector from the bottom to get some catchlights in the eyes and soften the under-chin shadows definitely would have been nice, but I'm sure there's more improvements to be made.

570819092_jriLL-L.jpg

570818969_53Rkz-L.jpg
Wade Williams
Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hey Wade,

I don't see any pics...make sure external links are allowed in the host gallery.
    How to post photos on Dgrin
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    no pics, just red x's...
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Weird...repasted the links...working now?
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    wadesworld wrote:
    Weird...repasted the links...working now?
    nod.gif
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I actully like the warm peachy glow on the first. The second one I think your son looks ok (def better than straight on flash for me!) but your daughter didn't receive the same amount of light so it seems off balance. But I am no pro. =0)
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Expose more for the background. You'll be amazed how great your SB 800 will fill. Set your flash to manual. 1/4 power.

Looks to me that your second shot had a light to camera right, and the girl was not lit correctly. I normally like to light groups from the front to give even light. Or add another light. Both shots look lovely. The children look genuinely happy.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...