Tree Line . . . . . IR

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
570812848_rQNLD-L.jpg

Just off Highway 100 West of Washington, MO.

Captured with an IR-converted Nikon Dy70s.
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    570812848_rQNLD-L.jpg

Just off Highway 100 West of Washington, MO.

Captured with an IR-converted Nikon Dy70s.
    A converted Nikon Dy70s......I have been looking all over for that model.....Where did you get yours????rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Jeff a very cool shot......the sky really makes it .......I have got to get a camera modded.....but first I have to get the camera....maybe another Nikon D300??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I really like this one Jeff. How do you get that tone of blue in the sky? I've been trying but just can't hit upon the right combination.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I really like this one Jeff. How do you get that tone of blue in the sky? I've been trying but just can't hit upon the right combination.
    — Kevin

Don't know if there's an easy answer to that question, Kevin. I use the LCH adjustment in Capture NX2 to "swap" the red and blue channels. I can do a great deal of tweaking with that. I just work with it until I get the right color. I actually had to decrease the saturation with this one because the blue was just too bright. Thanks!
    Jeff Meyers
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Outstanding Jeff!!
    I love the composition and that sky is quite likely the nicest I've seen in an IR shot. Kudos thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited June 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    — Kevin

Kevin,

Maybe this will help. Here's a downsized jpeg of what my NEF file for this image looked like before any adjustments (including WB) were made. All of the adjustments were then made with Capture NX2. Do your NEFs look like this?

570920965_fK6Ch-L.jpg
    Jeff Meyers
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    No, my RAW files SOOC tend to look like this.

570952242_aBSrE-L.jpg

Is there a setting in camera (Moded D70) that I need to change?

Thanks.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited June 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:

Thanks.

Who did your conversion? Did they set your WB when the did the conversion? Have you tried to set your WB by pointing it at some green vegetation and creating a preset?

Also what color mode is your D70s set to? Make sure its on IIIa.

One more thing: what kind of IR conversion did you get?
    Jeff Meyers
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Another nice IR, Jeff. I always enjoy seeing your shots.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Really nice work Jeff! It's perhaps a tiny little bit over sharpened, but I'd take it :D
    KevXman wrote:

Thanks.

Shoot a custom white balance off some leaves. After that you should be a channel swap away from white leaves and blue skies.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Howdy Jeff,

Another stunner, love the compositon and perspective of the treeline and the long road.

Also, that beautiful blue sky and the clean white trees.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Hi,
    great photo, jeffmeyers! I was wondering if there were any dgrinners following this thread who have a modded canon that can help me. I have a modified 20D, basic package from lifepixel. my out of the camera images look very similar to the example posted by KevXman. I did create a custom white balance by shooting a large green leaf. When I white balance in Camera RAW (by clicking the dropper on something green), the image looks more like jeffmeyers' out of the camera example, though the temperature slider is all the way left, suggesting that if the white balance in camera was set more properly I would get a better result. Any tips as far as making the image more amenable to processing by changing the camera settings? My camera is set on sRGB.
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Hi,
    great photo, jeffmeyers! I was wondering if there were any dgrinners following this thread who have a modded canon that can help me. I have a modified 20D, basic package from lifepixel. my out of the camera images look very similar to the example posted by KevXman. I did create a custom white balance by shooting a large green leaf. When I white balance in Camera RAW (by clicking the dropper on something green), the image looks more like jeffmeyers' out of the camera example, though the temperature slider is all the way left, suggesting that if the white balance in camera was set more properly I would get a better result. Any tips as far as making the image more amenable to processing by changing the camera settings? My camera is set on sRGB.
    Thanks,
    Chris

If you are using Lightroom 2 or are working with ACR 5, you can download the profile editor tool to create a new camera profile for the modified camera which puts the WB sliders back to center. I have a profile for a 300D which might work for the 20D as well - assuming an R72 equivalent IR-filter.

Or you just take it and add curves to fine tune the WB.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/