If you've bought a new lens without trying it out first....

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited June 27, 2009 in Cameras
What was your experience like? I am interested in the Canon 24-70mm/2.8 and can't find any local place near me that has it in stock for me to try. I am probably going to order it from B&H, which I think has a pretty good return policy as long as it's in mint condition and in the original packaging. I have also heard such great things about this lens that I think I would be shocked if I wasn't happy with it. What do you think? Should I just go ahead and order it?

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I order most of my lenses this way. There should be no problem IF you understand what the lens is designed for.

For example, understand that the 24 - 70 is quite a heavy lens:lift. It is often matched against (as in "which lens should I buy...) the 24 - 105 f/4. So if you buy the 24 - 70, you should not complain that it is heavier or that you wish it had the 70 - 105 range or IS. Likewise, if choosing the 24 - 105, you should not be disappointed that it is not f/2.8.

The greatest value of a return policy such as B&H is that IF you get a copy that does not focus well, you can return it for another copy instead of having to send it to Canon. I never dislike a lens I order: what's not to like about a new toy?

So go ahead and buy it and enjoy it!
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Totally agree. I purchase most of my lenses sight unseen. While there are a few camera shops in the area, they cannot compete with the prices of B&H.
    Steve

Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    B&H are great to work with. As you said, just keep everything original to the purchase and do not file the registration papers until you are sure you will keep the lens.

The EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM is a wonderful lens and deserving of the "L" designation. Once again, it is not my first recommendation for a standard lens on a Canon crop 1.6x camera, just because the 24mm is not very wide for some applications. I do feel that the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is a better standard zoom for the crop 1.6x cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The order has been placed! Phew! Now I can't wait to try out my new camera (Canon 50d) and lens!! Thanks for the tips.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Totally agree. I purchase most of my lenses sight unseen. While there are a few camera shops in the area, they cannot compete with the prices of B&H.

I do buy from B&H and I do buy from my local store. They will generally do a close price match. I've bought a $500 lens locally and only paid maybe 30 bucks more than the B&H price. I do get service from my local store so I don't mind paying for it and keeping some of the moeny in the community.

B&H is my favorite online photo retailer. Good service and generally fast turnaround on returns.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I do buy from B&H and I do buy from my local store. They will generally do a close price match. I've bought a $500 lens locally and only paid maybe 30 bucks more than the B&H price. I do get service from my local store so I don't mind paying for it and keeping some of the moeny in the community.

B&H is my favorite online photo retailer. Good service and generally fast turnaround on returns.

If I can buy a lens locally then I will do so even if it costs me a few buck more. I have been burned with bad copies. But now I take my laptop to the store and take test shots and look at multiple copies of the lens to check for sharpness. It's worth it.

It's fun to watch the guys behind the counter go from "sell" mode to ..oh.."let him do his thing" mode
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    The order has been placed! Phew! Now I can't wait to try out my new camera (Canon 50d) and lens!! Thanks for the tips.
    Congrats, enjoy your new lens! =)
    The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Out of my seven lenses I have(new, refurbed, or used), I've never checked out any ahead of time.

I bought my used one(300mm f/2.8L IS) from a local guy with a great reputation. Heck, I even got both my 1 series used both from reputable sellers.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009

I would love to support a local store, but the ones close by to me are no where near close to the price and when you add the sales tax it is just not worth it. My last purchase was a Nikkor 105mm. $895 at B&H, $999.99 at my local shop. Add another 9% in tax and you can see why I shop at B&H. They seem to add another hundred dollars in difference for each thousand dollars.

Now I am not sure if they have much a choice or if they are simply being taxed to death by the state of California.
    Steve

Website
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    too late now but you could always rent it first. I have used lensrentals.com with great success.

that said, I've only heard great things about that lens so I'm sure you'll love it!