Considering My Options

IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited June 28, 2009 in Cameras
Hi all,

At the moment I'm considering buying a DSLR. I'm looking for something that has a good range of lenses available for it. I am looking at other accessories but for what I'm looking for (tripod, filters etc) I can get them whichever camera I end up going for.

I mainly shoot landscapes and sunsets with occasional cityscapes and people photos. I currently seem to take a lot of shots of trees but I'm fairly sure that doesn't have any bearing on camera choice!

Currently I'm looking at the Canon 50D, the Nikon D300 and possibly the Pentax K7. I do however want a camera system where I can upgrade the body at some point in the future, possibly to a full frame sensor, but I am looking for a camera that will last me for about 5 years.

My questions are, what is the better camera choice based on what I shoot? Which lenses would be suitable for landscapes and sunsets (and should I get a camera with kit lenses or not)? Anything else I should consider accessory wise or any other camera suggestions?

Thanks for the advice,
Ian

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ian, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

It doesn't sound like your needs are that extreme so almost any camera body might be fine. Currently, only Canon, Nikon and Sony make full-frame camera bodies, but most people honestly, truthfully, don't need one.

Canon and Nikon are awfully good choices in that used lenses are often available in decent quantities for reasonable prices compared to new lenses.

Landscapes are shot with literally any focal length, but you might be thinking about "vista" landscapes which are normally shot with very wide angle lenses.

Typical vista landscape lenses for Nikon and Canon might include:

Nikkor AF-S DX 10-24mm, f3.5-f4.5G ED
    Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4 PRO DX
    Tokina AT-X 11-16mm, f2.8 PRO DX
    Tamron SP 11-18mm, f4.5-f5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Tamron SP 10-24mm, f3.5-f4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]

I also suggest a "standard" zoom which works well for many other photography uses. Standard focal lengths are generally 18-50mm-ish but I do not recommend the typical "kit" zooms. Constant aperture lenses in this general range are often much better image quality and worth the premium prices (IMO).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    If you want FF and shoot landscapes I would also consider the Sony A900 because it has the best dynamic range of any camera on the market which can make a big difference with landscapes.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    If you're plan is to go to a FF camera in the future, why not just go there now? Save yourself the time and possible cost (if you invest in APS-C lenses).

If landscapes and max detail is your thing then the Sony A900 or Canon 5DMkII are your best choices.

My preference just based on landscape usage would be the Sony. Better wide angle lens(es) the Zeis 16-35/2.8 and 24-70/2.8. Both are seemingly much better than Canon's versions.

It also has inbody IS which can be really usefull for those times you don't or can't use a tripod. Plus when shooting RAW the ulitmate detail at low ISO is matched only by Nikon's $8,000 D3X.

Gene
  • HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    My vote is for the Pentax...
    ...of course. :) One thing that the Pentax has that other bodies in it's price range (ca. $1200) don't have is weathersealing. They've also got a nice series of weathersealed lenses-- DA*16-50/2.8, DA*50-135/2.8, DA*60-250/4, and DA*55/1.4. Put any one of these on the K7 and you won't need to be worried about getting caught in the rain when you're out getting those great landscape shots. While it's not weathersealed, the DA 12-24/4 is a great landscape lens worth taking a look at. If you're into primes, Pentax also has a great set of FA Limited and DA Limited lenses; either the FA77/1.8 or DA70/2.8 would be great choices for portraits.

As to whether or not you should get the kit lenses, it really depends on your budget for lenses. If kit lenses are all you can afford, then by all means start with those and upgrade whenever your budget will allow you to. Out of the different DSLR manufacturers, the Pentax 18-55 II kit lens is considered to be one of the best, if not the best kit lens currently on the market. Along with the K7, Pentax is planning on releasing weathersealed versions of both the DA18-55 II and DA55-200, which would be good choices if you want weathersealing but can't afford the DA* series. Another thing to consider if you're on a fairly limited budget is that Pentax offers the most backward lens compatible DSLRs--you can pick up cheap old manual focus glass, even the screwmounts (m42, with adapter) and make them work on your Pentax DSLR; there's lots of old good Pentax-compatible glass out there that rival the more expensive modern lenses in IQ--there are even some in the Pentax world that prefer the old manual lenses over the modern ones. :)

If after reading this post, you're intrigued and want to find out more, feel free to hop on over to Pentax Forums and learn more from a pretty friendly bunch of Pentax enthusiasts. :D

HTH,
    Heather :)
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks for the replies!

Ziggy, I did mean vista type images, should have said that really.

Given me plenty to consider now. Do I really want or need a full frame camera!?

Not really considered the Sony cameras, but will have a look at them. As for the Pentax one, the thing that worries me about that is there'd be no scope to upgrade it in the future as I'd probably be buying the top of the range camera (hence my thoughts about whether I'd want to go full frame or not). Other than that I do like what I've read about the Pentax and the weather sealing would be beneficial.

So much to consider now! Back to reading reviews!

Ian
    edited June 23, 2009
    Could also consider Olympus. While companies like Olympus and Pentax don't have "upgrades" it is largely because they pack their cameras with all the upgrades at a lower price. The new K-7 and the Olympus E-3 or E-30 have the features of cameras much more expensive. As an Olympus user I would also endorse their cameras without reservation. Lovely machines with the best lenses on the market.
    edited June 23, 2009
    I do have an Olympus E-510 but for some reason I feel its a bit restricted in the amount and variety of lenses you can get for it. Plus the camera doesn't feel all that solid to me.

I'm also wondering now whether I would ever need or want a full frame camera, and to be honest I think it'd be more of a luxury than a real necessity. I also like the weather sealing on the Pentax. I do go scuba diving occasionally so having one that could take the occasional splash or be able to get stuck in the rain would be a big plus.

Ian
    edited June 23, 2009
    IanJ wrote:
    I do have an Olympus E-510 but for some reason I feel its a bit restricted in the amount and variety of lenses you can get for it. Plus the camera doesn't feel all that solid to me.

I'm also wondering now whether I would ever need or want a full frame camera, and to be honest I think it'd be more of a luxury than a real necessity. I also like the weather sealing on the Pentax. I do go scuba diving occasionally so having one that could take the occasional splash or be able to get stuck in the rain would be a big plus.

Ian
    Well the E-3 is an entirely different animal. It is weathersealed, and built like a tank. I saw a picture of a guy standing on one without damaging it. It is true the 4/3 lens lineup is not as extensive as others, but I do feel like all necessities are covered. You could get the E-3 with the 12-60 2.8-3.5 lens and the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens which are both also weather sealed. As are the pro line lenses such as the 14-35 2.0, the 35-100 2.0, the 90-250 2.8, the 7-14 4.0, 11-22 2.8, the 300mm 2.8, etc.
    Visit this link to see all the available lenses, there are a lot: http://four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html
    Anyway, there are other great options too, I am biased because I love Oly gear.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    IanJ wrote:

Ian

I think one of the biggest questions is what is your maximum print size?

If you're doing huge ones that of course you want to go for the most megapixels which would be the Sony A900 or if you want to get better lowlight performance the 5DmkII (or 24MP with better low light with the D3x just its over 2 times as expensive)

For smaller sizes you can drop down to 12 megapixels putting the D700 as a great option due to its dynamic range.

The crop cameras also offer are you many advantages, and offer many wide and ultra wide-angle lenses is now. With the 50D or D300 being the big two of course.

If weather sealing is not important I would try the Olympus E-620, I currently own the E-420 and love it. I don't know if the 500 has a different build feel, but I would put my Olympus above Nikons and Canons cameras up to the 50D/D300 level. It feels like a sturdy little camera, and with the 420 has the ergonomics I love! And of course you can shower with an E-3 that thing goes beyond tanks status.

With Olympus you can also use You can also use the Olympus 9 to 18 which allows filters and is a great little lens (coupled with the E-620 it really would be a small package great for bringing around the street)
    edited June 24, 2009
    I would be looking to print them about A3 size, possibly up to A1 if it was a really good photo.

Ian
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    IanJ wrote:
    I would be looking to print them about A3 size, possibly up to A1 if it was a really good photo.

Ian

I have taken files from my Konica Minolta A2 (8mp P/s) and my Konica Minolta 7D's (6mp DSLR) and printed as large as 30x40"...almost an A0 print........now i ALSO CHEAT a bit....If I feel a file is worthy of anything larger than 8x10 inches it is automactically ran thru Genuine Fractals for uprezing to what I believe is its maximum size limit....usually 30 x 40 inches....this will give a file just at the SM upload limit also normally......for the small price of GF one does not need to have a 20mp camera...........
    If it had not ben for really wanting the GPS hookup on the nikons and the beter low light capabilities of the nikon over oly and the backlighting function of the nikons I would have grabbed up either a E620 or E30....the 30 has 99.9% of all the E3's features for a lot less money....if Oly or any 4/3 maker catches wup with Nikon on low light capablilites I just may switch over to them....they do weigh a lot less than most of the upperend Nikons and canons.......plus your lenses are =to 2times to get the 35mm equiv....so a 12-60 = 24-120....and so on....smaller lighter lenses for wildlife and event shooters.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 26, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks everyone for their advice. I think what I'm going to do now is wait until the Pentax K-7 comes out and see what people say about that before making my final mind up. I seem to be leaning towards the Pentax for its weather sealing and it does seem to have a good range of lenses available for what I want it for.

Thanks again!
    Ian
  • mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    The best advice I can give is to go to a camera store or anyone who carries cameras. Hold each in your hands and see which has the controls and fits your hands best. If it isn't comfortable in your hands, you won't use it as much. You don't have to buy there, but see which camera fits you.