Options

Digital Downloads - Very confusing to me...

MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited September 15, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've tried to set up pricing for digital downloads but I can't figure it out.

As I understand it, when someone buys a digital download, they get it instantly and the photographer has no way of replacing the picture with the proper size.

My images are larger than 1000x1000. I have been resizing my images to 1600 pixels on the wide side which equals about 2160 on the long side. That comes out to about 3.8mb.

So, I'm stuck. Smugmug won't allow me to sell a personal digital high res image at the 4mb level because the image is only 3.8 On the other hand, I can't offer the personal digital low res image because the image is much largere than the 1mb size and prints much larger than 8x10 can be printed by the individual.

If I resize the images to the 1 mb size, then the customer is limited to the smaller sizes of prints that are available for purchase.

I don't kow how you guys do it, but it is confusing to me. I read all the info I could find in threads and the help section.

Since most of my photos are sports, I wanted to offer the personal downloads for the youngsters.

Your thoughts? All help appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
My Portfolio
MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hi MT,

I'm a bit confused here, too, I think. So let's see if we can't work this out. :D

The whole purpose of us offering three different digital download sizes is so that you don't have to do any resizing yourself. Just upload the original file, whatever it is, and when you're pricing the digital download licenses just enter a zero (0.00) into the custom pricing field.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/sell-digital-downloads

This way when your customers purchase the 1 MP or the 4 MP size, that's what they get. We take care of resizing those for you! And entering zeros into any custom price field removes that item from your catalog. They won't see the option to purchase full-resolution downloads at all.

However, I think you may be confusing what the customer gets when they purchase downloads versus when they purchase prints. If you want to offer prints, then go ahead and price your prints and they can order those directly. Digital downloads are for when you want your customers to be able to have a digital copy to share with others on the web, or print the file on their own.

If this isn't more clear, please let us know and we'll be happy to explain it further. thumb.gif

-Steph
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    This way when your customers purchase the 1 MP or the 4 MP size, that's what they get. We take care of resizing those for you!
    Thank you, Schmoo. That is exactly what I couldn't figure out. I will go back and reprice some of my galleries to include the 1 mb personal digital download.

Thanks again.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    MdelMdel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Hi,
    This one seems pretty basic, and I'm sure there's an answer in one of these threads or help sections, but honestly I'm just not finding it anywhere. I'm offering the 4Mpix digi download option to clients, what size is this safe for them to print to on their own?
    Thanks in advance.
    Maureen
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Mdel wrote: »
    Hi,
    This one seems pretty basic, and I'm sure there's an answer in one of these threads or help sections, but honestly I'm just not finding it anywhere. I'm offering the 4Mpix digi download option to clients, what size is this safe for them to print to on their own?
    Thanks in advance.
    Maureen

What size prints do you want them to make?
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Exactly. When putting this in my price sheet, I'd like to feel comfortable saying something like "digi images for printing images sized at XXX or smaller"... or something along those lines as far as the wording. What is the largest a client could print that 4mpix the file is made available at? Basically, I just want to make them aware that the file will is meant for a certain size print or smaller.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Exactly. When putting this in my price sheet, I'd like to feel comfortable saying something like "digi images for printing images sized at XXX or smaller"... or something along those lines as far as the wording. What is the largest a client could print that 4mpix the file is made available at? Basically, I just want to make them aware that the file will is meant for a certain size print or smaller.

OK :D Lots of info here This: http://smu.gs/rfb8LR
    and here: http://smu.gs/mYzaFE
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Thanks, Andy. I previously read through the first link you have there, and just read through the other. "most reasonable sizes" is what it says, doesn't note print size restrictions, so I'm going to just leave notes out my price sheet on it and let it be. The pixel size is pretty big, so I can't imagine there will be issues.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Thanks, Andy. I previously read through the first link you have there, and just read through the other. "most reasonable sizes" is what it says, doesn't note print size restrictions, so I'm going to just leave notes out my price sheet on it and let it be. The pixel size is pretty big, so I can't imagine there will be issues.
    Very likely not - if they want to go big (over say, 11x14) you'd want to sell them the original image.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    IMHO ... people who go cheap would print a 8x10 from a 1mpixel image. I've seen some online sites (like Walgreen) only requires 900x720 to print a 8x10 (ref: http://walgreens.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/77/~/what-is-the-best-resolution-for-my-photos%3F). The prints quality is low and then the customer blames the photographer for bad photos. Not a way I want to present myself; it becomes bad press. This is the reason I've not been selling digital prints on smugmug, it basically kills my print sales and may hurt my reputation.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    jchin wrote: »
    IMHO ... people who go cheap would print a 8x10 from a 1mpixel image. I've seen some online sites (like Walgreen) only requires 900x720 to print a 8x10 (ref: http://walgreens.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/77/~/what-is-the-best-resolution-for-my-photos%3F). The prints quality is low and then the customer blames the photographer for bad photos. Not a way I want to present myself; it becomes bad press. This is the reason I've not been selling digital prints on smugmug, it basically kills my print sales and may hurt my reputation.
    Yep. I take this stance as well. When someone sees a medicore or bad photo of yours, it makes as much an impression, if not more, on your entire body of work. I want every shot to wow the client--even if the camera they have in their hands is much better than mine. :D
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!