Desert Lily

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in Landscapes
The Desert Lily:
552x799-lily-cr7418.jpg

These are one of the most beautiful flowers in the desert to me. I love the green stripe in the elegantly shaped petals. There's a glitter or sparkle that can be seen up close in the flowers. They look so tasty to me (although I've never eaten one). They remind me of Christmas candy. The long, narrow leaves at the base make the most wonderful sand-drawings when they are young and subject to the wind. It is too bad the leaves often become depleted as the plant rapidly grows taller and blossoms for pollenation. They are however, awkward to photograph, and stand free of other vegetation at the base.

This particular shot was taken with the last bit of direct light to the flowers before the sun dropped below the basalt, placing the entire plant in shadow. The slightly gusting breeze stopped for a moment, just long enough for me to catch the lily without movement.

-
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Wow! What a beautiful composition with subtle but rich colors. A fantastic capture! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Wow! What a beautiful composition with subtle but rich colors. A fantastic capture! thumb.gifclap.gif

Thank you. I have a couple minor issues I need to solve (I never seem to notice them until I post online somewhere), but overall, I;m pretty happy with it too.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Beautiful photo thumb.gif Amazing how something so pretty can be found growing up from the sand.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Wow - the gentle light on the flowers is stunning, Lovely composition - excellent!
    edited June 23, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Beautiful photo thumb.gif Amazing how something so pretty can be found growing up from the sand.

Thanks. Everyday I'm out I'm amazed.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Wow - the gentle light on the flowers is stunning, Lovely composition - excellent!

Thanks. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 24, 2009
    Lovely shot, Walter. The lighting makes it look almost like you used a flash.

The desert sure has some interesting vegetation. I was on a hike one day, and came across a purple flowering bush. It looked so beautiful, I bent over to smell the blossoms, inhaled deeply, and got my sinuses full of the most revolting skunk smell you could imagine. :puke1

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited June 24, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Lovely shot, Walter. The lighting makes it look almost like you used a flash.

The desert sure has some interesting vegetation. I was on a hike one day, and came across a purple flowering bush. It looked so beautiful, I bent over to smell the blossoms, inhaled deeply, and got my sinuses full of the most revolting skunk smell you could imagine. :puke1

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel.

That'll learn you :) I mentioned stopping to smell the -roses- one day to a knowledgeable friend. I was told that was fine, but don't be getting too close to the apricot mallow. Apparently the little fuzz are actually barbs and can wreak havoc on the eyeballs and nostrils as well as skin. I learned not to touch anything suspect, but move it around with a pencil, pen, or little brother.

-
    Anybody can do it.