Looking to improve....

lbkgirllbkgirl Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited June 23, 2009 in People
I am always looking to learn and just thought I would share these and get any input.

Comments

• aerosmith9110aerosmith9110 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    nice.

Is it just me or is that ledge not straight?

Plus from what I'm reading here dead center isn't that appealing?
    Current Bike:
    Suzuki Raider 150 (figure it out):dunno
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:
    Italjet Dragster 172cc Full race
    Honda NSR250 PGMIII Full race
    Honda Dio 90 H2O cooled Full race

http://bikepics.com/members/aerosmith9110/
  • lbkgirllbkgirl Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Better?
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Since you asked....

I like the colors, the exposure is good, location seems ok.
    I agree that the railing doesn't seem straight at the bottom and the composition doesn't work. The sepia one would be better I think if you cropped her to the other side usually better off center with the extra space being towards the way the subjects gaze or face is directed.
    The pose does absolutely nothing for me. the eye is drawn to a neck and looking up the nostrils. The subject seems like she is going to buckle her knees and fall at any moment. but maybe that is what were going for?
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Well the answer to the question "Is the ledge straight" hasn't been answered yet so I'm going to assume it might be a barrel-distortion as shown in Ken Rockwell's D90 review.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm#

If you scroll down, you'll see that he's talking about the barrel-distorted image. Just my thought about what it might be, but I don't know for sure.

I think the 2nd photo looks nice. As WingsOfLovePhoto said though, if you cropped the picture with the subject standing to the right of the photo, it would seem like she'll fall down into the lawn. With the subject to the left, she'll just fall out of the photo. nod.gif
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
    edited June 22, 2009
    I apologize for the delay .... no special lens ... the ledge was straight. It does look strange but I was shooting with a canon 18 - 200 mm.
    edited June 22, 2009
    lbkgirl wrote:
    I apologize for the delay .... no special lens ... the ledge was straight. It does look strange but I was shooting with a canon 18 - 200 mm lens. I looked back through this project to see if I had cropped any pictures like some suggested but didn't come up with any. I photograph women quite often and am always looking for ways to make an average built woman look thinner. I definitely appreciate all of your insight..... its nice to have other views to consider.
    edited June 23, 2009
    lbkgirl wrote:
    I apologize for the delay .... no special lens ... the ledge was straight. It does look strange but I was shooting with a canon 18 - 200 mm.

at what focal lenght did you shoot the pic? usually they shoot at 100 mm 35mm format. cause usally this is where all the distortion disapears I think ne_nau.gif
    Current Bike:
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:

edited June 23, 2009
    It was shot a 18mm focal length. What is so interesting to me is that I think I liked that picture because it did look unusual. Normally I do not crop subjects in the middle of the screen but in this case, probably because of the distortion .... I liked it... anyway.... If I could go back I would have her turn her head a little. Oh and I hate the red dirt in the background but this was just a jump out of the car photo moment when I saw this bridge. I was out of town at a reunion but if I lived there I don't know if I would use this spot again due to the red dirt...to much editing to get rid of it.

As far as the distortion... I wish I could say I planned it, but the truth is I had no idea I was creating it with my setup.
  • dave92029dave92029 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Crop?
    This is a very nice photo of a beautiful women at a beautiful location, BUT... I feel like I would crop the photo so that bottom is around her thighs and just above her face. That is the subject of the photo, isn't it? headscratch.gif
    Dave
    Escondido, CA
    Olympus E-PL2, 14-42II, 20, 40-150, 9-18, VF-2
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    #2 is stronger, no doubt.

I *think* if the dress was hiked up a bit on one side showing the pose of her leg/legs, it would be stronger yet. As is, we're left guessing if this lady had one too many or is trying to achive something. But I gotta say, it's a good effort none-the-less - I can see creativity at work...
    edited June 23, 2009
    any ways great capture :D and nice model. Your lucky to have such a model unlike me.. rolleyes1.gif
    Current Bike:
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    dave92029 wrote:
    This is a very nice photo of a beautiful women at a beautiful location, BUT... I feel like I would crop the photo so that bottom is around her thighs and just above her face. That is the subject of the photo, isn't it? headscratch.gif

The earlier comment that the pose is unnatural is absolutely spot on. She definitely looks as though her knees are buckling.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed