Options

How to save

jnrpotographyjnrpotography Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited June 27, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi there. I am giving some shots to a client for web use. Before burning these to cd should I lower the resoultion to 72 on all the files and set the jpeg from 12 to say 5? Or will setting the resolution to 72 to images be enough to make sure the images are only used for the web.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hi there. I am giving some shots to a client for web use. Before burning these to cd should I lower the resoultion to 72 on all the files and set the jpeg from 12 to say 5? Or will setting the resolution to 72 to images be enough to make sure the images are only used for the web.
    800x600@72 (regardless of jpeg quality but 8 is OK) will render it pretty much useless for anything BUT the web. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    800x600@72 (regardless of jpeg quality but 8 is OK) will render it pretty much useless for anything BUT the web. deal.gif

thanks I was getting to this point as well
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Lowering the dpi value doesn't matter, of course. :bash

In fact, it might be fun to make it like 600 - so if they WERE to print it and it tried to print at 600 DPI it'd be ridiculously small. mwink.gif

max long edge of 750pixel would probably suffice.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I recently printed an 8.5x11 photo of my son as a test print to see what my printer could do, especially in colour reproduction...

I had forgot that my last lightroom export also resized them to 800 pixels on the long side. I think around 70 on the JPEG quality as well....

Anyways.

First thing I noticed is that the colour was too dark and too red. Purple cast in skies, oranges came out too reddish, etc...

Was not until much closer inspection that I noticed the print looked pixelated, but even then not bad... held at arms length away it looked pretty good as far as resolution went...

What I am getting at... Even at 800 pixels on the long side it would likely make a decent 4x6. It seems that we only really get hung up on resolution while viewing things on a computer monitor.

Best answer I could give you is experiment. Make a couple prints of the same image at different resolutions and then pick the one that is bad enough that you would not be happy with it.
    That is your web use only copy :)
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    I recently printed an 8.5x11 photo of my son as a test print to see what my printer could do, especially in colour reproduction...

I had forgot that my last lightroom export also resized them to 800 pixels on the long side. I think around 70 on the JPEG quality as well....

Anyways.

First thing I noticed is that the colour was too dark and too red. Purple cast in skies, oranges came out too reddish, etc...

Was not until much closer inspection that I noticed the print looked pixelated, but even then not bad... held at arms length away it looked pretty good as far as resolution went...

What I am getting at... Even at 800 pixels on the long side it would likely make a decent 4x6. It seems that we only really get hung up on resolution while viewing things on a computer monitor.

Best answer I could give you is experiment. Make a couple prints of the same image at different resolutions and then pick the one that is bad enough that you would not be happy with it.
    That is your web use only copy :)

I was thinking about this when i resized images for web use it was still big enough at 72 to print an 8x10!
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Don't worry about setting dpi.... From my understanding. At least not with most photo printers. Certainly not with a place like Walmart :)

DPI is calculated by resolution divided by length of print.

For example. 1200 pixels printed over 6" is 1200/6=200 dpi...

For advanced printing I guess this value could tell the printer what resolution to print at and thus the final size of the print.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Don't worry about setting dpi....
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.