DSS #28 Idea - Thoughts?

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
One of my ideas is to use one of my antique pocket watches. I've been trying different lighting and settings. I thought a shot of holding it in my hand would work well, but I didn't like how that turned out at all. What works better for me is a close in crop better showing off all the circles.

Possible titles: 'Time Machine', 'Gears of Time', etc.

(I know I need to clean up some of the scratches and wear marks on the metal, but that comes later...)

Thanks for you thoughts and ideas!

571291458_8RFrz-XL.jpg

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I like the wear and scratch marks!

Great idea! thumb.gif Have you considered getting in closer and/or black and white or toning?
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    This is very nice. Perfect for the theme. I was kinda thinking the same thing though, since it is an "antique", play around with some different processing and see if you can't give it an older/antique feel. Really like it thoughthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    ok -- My idea that I just posted just became outdated
    this is much nicer, I love antique!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Hi Mike..

This is stunning.. it has a lot of character and gorgeous detail...

I love the copper.. I think black and white, and other conversions would look nice too, but I think that you may end up taking away its wow factor and losing the high shine copper appeal.. not sure, you will have to take it on a test run..

I am curious what a black backdrop would look like too..headscratch.gif The blue is a great choice.... I am just curious..

I like it the way it is, but with a polish of course..thumb.gif

Nice Capture

Kat
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    OK, by popular demand, here is a quick B/W conversion, with two different levels of contrast applied. And per Kat's suggestion I went dark on the blue background during the conversion.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't think I was going to like B/W on this, loosing all the gold tones, the ruby bearings, etc., but it is quite striking.

Damn, I hate you all! rolleyes1.gif

OK, what do you all think? Thanks!

1) Some contrast

571799094_wmAgQ-XL.jpg

2) More Contrast

571799149_zLePH-XL.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    headscratch.gif I like the color version very much but that blue background color is a little loud. The B&W takes care of that really well. The conversion looks good but the warm tones of the color version were a bit more pleasing to the eye. Have you tried a sepia-toned version? Or a warmer B&W conversion?

I wouldn't change a thing about the composition -- LOVE your crop and all the scratches on the old watch.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Stunning indeed Mike, thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

But...>>> my fears were proven right, it lost it's super wow factor...

I want the copper back.. but on this new black background.. do you do the mask? hehehe..:D:D:D

Can you mask the copper clock back in.. bowdown.gifpretty please and let us see how that would look?

Kat
    edited June 23, 2009
    Since you asked so nicely ... very well!

I was able to reshoot using some natural lighting today as well. These new images have some wonderful pale blue bands in the damaskeening (etched patterns on metal). The damaskeening on this watch is quite detailed to the eye, but disappears totally to the camera unless you get the lighting (and angle thereof) just right.

Hopefully I can get through these new images and process up a few new candidates tonight.

Thanks!
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks Mike.. Will keep my eyes out for them.. Katthumb.gif

damaskeening? I wonder if an HDR would make them show up?

I love those sun rays, at least I think that is what they are..:D
    edited June 23, 2009
    OK, Here are two treatments of a reshoot I did today. The previous shots were purely artificial lighting, these shots were primarily natural light on a cloudy day, with some handheld lighting to bring out the etchings.

The natural light is more honest and gave the pale blue contrasts in the etched designs, but it lost the gold/copper tones that the artificial light put on it.

So how do these variations strike you? (I'm waiting for Kat to say she wants the copper version on the black background :D )

572354816_AciBQ-XL.jpg

572354835_TeUC3-XL.jpg
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    The bottom one's a doozy! wings.gifwings.gifclap.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    Hi Mike..

These look good...but I am standing firm on the original copper on this new black background..

I lovediloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif the first shot so much that I would even vote just to enter it with the blue background..... the new light, as you mentioned took the vibrancy of the copper and rubies away.. and if you look at that bottom circle, this new light also brought out some black distortions in that bottom circle too.. and you don't see those distortions on the original one.. so the original still gets my vote, even on blue... but that is just me.. will have to see what others think here....thumb.gif

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I think the new ones are great captures in their own rite. However, in comparision to the originals, I've got to agree with Kat. I think she's dead on. I like the originals with more vibrancy and saturation. Put them in this post side by side and see what everybody thinks. Although, you could also adjust the saturation with the new shots.

Brian
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    The bottom one is just wonderful!!!

- Stunning photo clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 24, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    The bottom one's a doozy! wings.gifwings.gifclap.gif

15524779-Ti.gifmwink.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    DSS #28 - Pocket Watch - Final Choices
    Thanks for everyone's feedback and ideas, I really appreciate it! Here is my final set of options. Please chime in on your favorite. I'll use your votes to help make my pick and then make final adjustments for my entry. (Well, maybe after I recover from tomorrow's Jimmy Buffett concert... :dragon )

Thanks!!

1) Original gold with blue background

571291458_8RFrz-XL.jpg

2) B/W Conversion

571799094_wmAgQ-XL.jpg

3) Natural Light reshoot

572354835_TeUC3-XL.jpg

4) Original Golden Light with black background (The 'Kat Special')

572710058_eXSvA-XL.jpg
    edited June 24, 2009
    All 4 are nice but my favorite is #3, the natural light reshoot. The contrast between the gold and silver tones really appeals to me. The black background also blends well with those silver tones.

If you have Photoshop, try using an unsharp mask of 20/50/0 on it for some subtle contrast and to bring out some more detail in the gear teeth and see how you like it. For the middle number, you can actually use any value between 45-50.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Wow - I love the evolution of these shots.

I'm stuck between the natural light and the original on the black. They are both stunning images.

I think you should go with your gut on these... We're all going to have opinions between those two, I think, so you'll probably have to make the final call about which one is really "It".

Fabulous job thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited June 24, 2009
    I've used the unsharp mask before, but it didn't occur to me to try it here. Good idea. I don't have the original PSD file on me, but here's a quick unsharp 20/45/0 on the above .jpg. Very dramatic! Not sure if it is a little too much or not, but I do like the effect. Thanks!

572743483_cZpsp-XL.jpg
    edited June 24, 2009
    Hi Mike,,

Awesome job on #4... That one gets my vote all day long...Either that one or Your original #1.....

Now, As I mentioned before, #3 was not hateful, but I don't like that gunky black in the bottom circle on #3 that became noticeable with the new light and processing. Also in #3 there is that gunky black stuff in the rubies too if you look closely, and over all, I am just not fond of the grey and black the processing brought out because it kind if makes the vibrant copper go blah.. The Black and white conversions are beautiful too, but they are not show stoppers like the copper..mwink.gif

So #4 or your original one is my best advice.. Nice work,,,, It is a gorgeous and very "unique" piece and you have captured it well..thumb.gif

I wanted to mention, if cloning and healing start to mess up the detail and patterns, I personally would just leave the scratches at that point, as mark said, they do give it character and it is an antique..

In the end.. Go with your gut, be at peace with your decision, and best of luck in the contest..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    Thanks for everyone's feedback and ideas, I really appreciate it! Here is my final set of options. Please chime in on your favorite. I'll use your votes to help make my pick and then make final adjustments for my entry. (Well, maybe after I recover from tomorrow's Jimmy Buffett concert... :dragon )

HA HA.. Cheeseburger in Paradise...:burger:burger:burger:lol4

Good Old Jimmy Buffet...

Hope you have fun...:D
    edited June 24, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    All 4 are nice but my favorite is #3, the natural light reshoot. The contrast between the gold and silver tones really appeals to me. The black background also blends well with those silver tones.

If you have Photoshop, try using an unsharp mask of 20/50/0 on it for some subtle contrast and to bring out some more detail in the gear teeth and see how you like it. For the middle number, you can actually use any value between 45-50.

I totally agree with Linda.

#3 gets my vote too.

I think this would be the BEST entry to the contest so far thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited June 24, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    I've used the unsharp mask before, but it didn't occur to me to try it here. Good idea. I don't have the original PSD file on me, but here's a quick unsharp 20/45/0 on the above .jpg. Very dramatic! Not sure if it is a little too much or not, but I do like the effect. Thanks!

Lookin' good! wings.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    (Sorry Kat)

Mike, I love this latest one. It really did bring out the gears and I love seeing the silver in the watch. The gold and silver belong together like that. Nice work!!!
    edited June 24, 2009
    Hey Donna, not a problem girl...., we are all here to give him our best opinions to help out..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I still have to wonder why headscratch.gif > it does not bother "anyone" else that in that process the rubies are black and the black gunk in the bottom circle too.. blah.. :oogle

I guess I am the weird one for not liking it..eek7.gifrofl

I still stand firm on the Original on Black or on Blue...:Dthumb.gif

In the end he's gotta go with his gut, and like I am one to talk.. look how many times I have gone against popular vote....hehehe:D:D:D

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

To be honest, I like them both. It's a happy problem to have, two perfectly good options to go with. I assure you that if I go with the natural one, the rubies and weird black area will be corrected.

Thanks for the opinions, positive/negative/constructive, they are all valuable to me. Feel free to keep 'em coming!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Sorry, don't want to make your decision difficult, but I agree with Kat on this one, #4 is my favorite...but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, good luckthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited June 25, 2009
    On #3 the circles stand out from the background. That's why I think it's the best of all. thumb.gif

Of course, now it's up to you to decide... ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    OK, Here are two treatments of a reshoot I did today. The previous shots were purely artificial lighting, these shots were primarily natural light on a cloudy day, with some handheld lighting to bring out the etchings.

The natural light is more honest and gave the pale blue contrasts in the etched designs, but it lost the gold/copper tones that the artificial light put on it.

So how do these variations strike you? (I'm waiting for Kat to say she wants the copper version on the black background :D )

572354816_AciBQ-XL.jpg

572354835_TeUC3-XL.jpg

I really like this version, and out of these two the black is definitely the winner, The light blue is Distracting but if you could darken it a bit I think it might have more than just the black