edited June 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
First weekend and so far this is all I have :dunno
This theme is deceptively difficult.

571396711_iaNdi-L.jpg

I still have my thinking cap on.

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    It's a very busy composition, and the colors, while playful and vivid, might be a bit much. Maybe selectively tone a few of them down? I'm not even sure if I'm making sense at this point ... ne_nau.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    It's a very busy composition, and the colors, while playful and vivid, might be a bit much. Maybe selectively tone a few of them down? I'm not even sure if I'm making sense at this point ... ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am hoping to find a better subject and interpretation before next weekend mwink.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Sean, I feel completely inadequate commenting on your work, but I have to agree, it is a bit busy, my eye doesn't seem to land anywhere. Definitely theme worthy, but I have a feeling you'll blow us away with something miraculous as usual!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hi Sean.

If you end up working with this one and using it, my take is that I like the idea and the colors, they are real playful.. However, I don't favor all the white blowout everywhere.. If that was toned down, and the background was maybe the color purple you are using inside the clock, so that it would contrast with the bell on top instead of blend in with it like that yellow background does, then I would think it is an awesome idea.. Very creative..

As far as the composition, I agree it is busy, however, it has a good (3) dominating points.. My eye is brought in by the red dot in the middle and then to the multiple wheels, and the bell gives my eyes somewhere to exit..

Will keep my eyes peeled to see what you end up doing next week..thumb.gif

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Love the clock! I agree that it is a bit busy, bit the red hour hand provides a good focal point. Taking a visual trip around this shot is fun as there are intricate details hidden in a lot of places.

You still have your thinking cap on? :uhoh :hide rolleyes1.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Love the clock! I agree that it is a bit busy, bit the red hour hand provides a good focal point. Taking a visual trip around this shot is fun as there are intricate details hidden in a lot of places.

You still have your thinking cap on? :uhoh :hide rolleyes1.gif

I agree with Linda... and... I love it iloveyou.gif

However, I know you will come with something even more fantastic mwink.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment.

It's quite the learning experience to have others view things from thier perspective
    I did not even think about the business of it until it was mentioned.

I have one other shot but I won't subject anybody to it because I do not feel it is very strong on theme

thanks again
    hopefully I won't let you all down because it seems everyone has every confidence that I will be able to come up with something much better.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment.

It's quite the learning experience to have others view things from thier perspective
    I did not even think about the business of it until it was mentioned.

I have one other shot but I won't subject anybody to it because I do not feel it is very strong on theme

thanks again
    hopefully I won't let you all down because it seems everyone has every confidence that I will be able to come up with something much better.

Subject us! Subject us!
    edited June 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Subject us! Subject us!

Here! Here! beer.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Maybe if you zoomed out a little it could help how busy it looks, also you have some very abrupt cut offs from the current crop which would also go away with the more expanded view.
    edited June 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Subject us! Subject us!
    15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif

Well now..........Sean, it's your own fault we have those expectations.. you always manage to bring awesome to the table, ya set your own high bar....thumb.gif

P.S> I am still laughing about the goldfish story..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I really love it....I love that it is busy, I love the colors!

My only suggestion might be to pull back just a tad on this shot to make it more apparent that this is a clock. Just a bit though, not too much.

I really love it though :D
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Here! Here! beer.gif
    ok ok
    here, here, (points down)

Possible title "bubble dreams"
    572158413_X6tfH-L.jpg

The biggest trouble is that bokeh dots are not round near the edge of the frame due to how the physical aspects of how light works with the lens :cry
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the bubbles, but not nearly as much as the clock....

Like I said before, love the clock composition, love the clean, saturated colors. Really nice....I'd frame and hang it!clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks for sharing with us Sean..

I like where you are going with this one. I especially like the lighting, the model and the blue background... If I were to shoot this, I would shoot it from the side with her blowing the bubbles while leaning inwards just a tad so you get a good side profile, especially with her pretty straight hair against the blue behind the bubbles being blown. Of course this composition is great too...

I love it..iloveyou.gif and the only reason I suggest a re-shoot is because of the shadow on her nose and upper corner around the mouth.

I don't know how many assistants you might have around to help, but I would be cool if ya could have them blowing bubbles into the frame too, but unseen..:D

Gorgeous Light and Skin Tones ...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    Thanks for sharing with us Sean..
    I love it..iloveyou.gif and the only reason I suggest a re-shoot is because of the shadow on her nose and upper corner around the mouth.

I don't know how many assistants you might have around to help, but I would be cool if ya could have them blowing bubbles into the frame too, but unseen..:D

Gorgeous Light and Skin Tones ...thumb.gif

Kat

Thanks Kat,

Yes I totally 100% agree about the shadow I wasn't to pleased with it either and that alone would prompt me to do a re-shoot if I felt this was going to be my final push. Yes I did have an assistant blowing more bubbles so that part was already thought of, thanks!

I personally do not feel it is very strong on theme or at best pushing the threshold of theme. I prefer to hit the theme "square" on the "round" head mwink.gif if at all possible.
    edited June 24, 2009
    [ Quote] I personally do not feel it is very strong on theme or at best pushing the threshold of theme. I prefer to hit the theme "square" on the "round" head mwink.gif if at all possible. [ Quote]

:thwak:lol

Now your scaring me with all of that serious talk... Oh, No... eek7.gifhuheek7.gif getting ready to clear the field are ya....thumb.gif More than likely...thumb.gif

Well I will keep a look out for it..... Can't wait to see what ya bring..
    As for me, I got time......:cavig, well at least on the board... I am way behind on my personal life thanks to this new contest addiction...:ivar

Good Luck With It...:Dthumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    Now your scaring me with all of that serious talk... Oh, No... eek7.gifhuheek7.gif getting ready to clear the field are ya....thumb.gif More than likely...thumb.gif

Kat

Nothing to be afraid of.... If anybody should be afraid its us I have a feeling your entry will "blow away" the competition... ne_nau.gif sorry couldn't help myself [tee hee]
    edited June 24, 2009
    I like that bubble shot! But I can see your point about the bokeh dots. Your clock shot is definitely the stronger of the two images for this challenge. :D Thanks for sharing it with us.
    edited June 24, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Nothing to be afraid of.... If anybody should be afraid its us I have a feeling your entry will "blow away" the competition... ne_nau.gif sorry couldn't help myself [tee hee]

Well the way I have always admired your work, studied it, and look up to it, I am humbled you would say such a thing, truly.....

But I still fear you Sean !!!..:davidto I mean this is a man who will stretch a goldfish into a sardine for heaven's sake....HA Ha.........:lol4thumb.gif

Looking forward to your next idea..mwink.gif...will be watching..:D

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I like that bubble shot! But I can see your point about the bokeh dots. Your clock shot is definitely the stronger of the two images for this challenge. :D Thanks for sharing it with us.

15524779-Ti.gif
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 28, 2009
    symbiote
    Well here is the final entry,
    really weird thing is when I uploaded it the first 2 times it shows smaller than XL - very odd.

576496662_DrW9U-L-1.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I am in awebowdown.gif ....that's all I can say!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited June 28, 2009
    your too kind Karin, but thank you!
    edited June 28, 2009
    Hi Rambo
    blbl.gif Seeeee > I knew you would bring it..blbl.gif.. You can't help yourself..:D

I knew you were going to clear the field,,

Our very own Digital Grin Rambo.:rambo

Commendable, Competitive and Creative... Awesome Job Sean..thumb.gif

At first, I thought are those straws? then, I thought no way... Then I looked at your exif... wow... a nice balance of PS and Photog here... I love the effects the gels had on those straws..

I have to ask... What is that behind her hanging from that rod?

I am super curious about how you achieved the light in the center and got it to burst outward, It really nails the effect..

Please post a how ya did it after the competition..:D

Awesome Job and just in the nick of time..mwink.gif

P.S> I did notice that size problem on your first upload,,, it showed up as really small on my computer.. Looks like that is fixed now...thumb.gif

Kat
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Wow!
    edited June 29, 2009
    Beautiful, Sean!!!

:jawdrop
    edited June 29, 2009
    Wonderful as usual clap.gif