5 Shapes work in progress
571570521_VNnhd-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    What do you mean what sticks?????? rolleyes1.gif

These are awesome..clap.gif I am looking.. Will post in a minute..

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    ok, while Kat looks.... I love these! The colors are fabulous!

I am having hard time picking between the old car and the Morning Glories. (Which reminded me I havn't seen mine that are that color yet) I think the morning Glories fit the theme well... oh man... they are all so good....
    yep, flowers for me.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Ok.. Here is my take on them...

#1 - simply gorgeous photography work there.. but not as strong on theme as some of the others..although it does work for the theme, just not as strong..

#2 - Is a very strong entry, but I feel like it is leaning in on me... no likey..

#3- More commendable photography work, but not as strong on theme as others..

#4 - Love it and it is strong on theme, very creative look at nature's circles.
    not to mention it is beautiful and makes an impact..

#5 - Really love it... I can see that you are working on it, and it is my hope that you are in the process of getting rid of the grey vignette because that filled in and around it will make it look too digital artsy, and I think the pavement surrounding them looks super, and it is a much better choice.thumb.gif

There's my best take on them....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Nice Work...thumb.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok, while Kat looks.... I love these! The colors are fabulous!

Your always making me laugh.. Miss Smarty Pants..mwink.gifrofl
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    The last one I was tring to get rid of the parking lot background junk, but i need more time to work on it. Not a strong photo shop type
    I am going to look at the flowers again in the morning and shoot them with my 200mm f2. I just have not had much time in this challenge. Thanks for the feedback. Good night.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    edited June 23, 2009
    oh yeah I forgot to mention.. I love that grass around that car,, you did an awesome job on post process here Chris... If ya don't end up using this one for this contest, I would definitely enter it over there in the "Mini", the theme is Loss, and I think this would make a great entry as "Loss of Glory" or something like that anyways.. I love it.thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 23, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    The last one I was tring to get rid of the parking lot background junk, but i need more time to work on it. Not a strong photo shop type
    I am going to look at the flowers again in the morning and shoot them with my 200mm f2. I just have not had much time in this challenge. Thanks for the feedback. Good night.

Well if ya send me the link to the original, perhaps I can make some Photoshop suggestions? I would have to see what you are working with...:D

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    All these shots are excellent, but the ones that come closest to fitting the theme are 3, 4, & 5.

#3 would be a perfect candidate for some HDR work to bring out the texture of the rust. mwink.gif But that's just an option. The composition is centered but I think it works well in this case because the round headlights are more or less right in your face.

The colors in #4 are dazzling! And those morning glories definitely fit the theme.

#5 is your strongest candidate. I'm not totally sold on the gradient in the upper right corner of it. I think you need to either make the delineation more gradual or eliminate it entirely and use the tiles as a background. I see that it's a work in progress and I can't wait to see the end result. mwink.gif

BTW --#2 and #3 are prime candidates for this vintage action:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1045138

I've used it to create the following images:

http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/5501803_hJZsF#431901052_v5Whm

http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/5668802_S98iD#349034295_LTtPg (applied action, then added an aged paper layer to it)

It takes a long time to run but the results are SUPER!
    edited June 23, 2009
    I do not have photoshop, I do have Corel X3 Graphics suite but most of my work with that is graphics. It is close to PS. I use NX2 Capture for most of my editing. I will work on it more time permitting I might try and reshoot at a higher angle to see if that will work better too

Here is what I was trying to get rid of
    571890276_qXyjS-L-0.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I do not have photoshop, I do have Corel X3 Graphics suite but most of my work with that is graphics. It is close to PS. I use NX2 Capture for most of my editing. I will work on it more time permitting I might try and reshoot at a higher angle to see if that will work better too

You just need a really big stepladder ... or a bucket truck! rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    I gotta ask... is it Target? The balls in front of ours are red.

I can see where it is hard to clean up the background. Maybe if you kept the color a little grayer, more like the tiles?
    edited June 23, 2009
    I actually have ladders on my work truck but they were at my jobsite. I am going back to use them. Or cut and paste background.
    These orbs are in front of an office building. I was getting strange looks from the inhabitants while I was taking shots. Could not understand why I would choose that subject.
    I did not try to explain my affliction of smugmugitis or would it be Dgrinexplexia, only known cure is to keep pressing a camera shutter.
    I find if you just mumble a lot or break out with camera induced touretts fits they leave you alone.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the flowers best - the colors and composition are really nice
    and the photo responds very well to the theme, in my opinion thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I actually have ladders on my work truck but they were at my jobsite. I am going back to use them. Or cut and paste background.
    These orbs are in front of an office building. I was getting strange looks from the inhabitants while I was taking shots. Could not understand why I would choose that subject.
    I did not try to explain my affliction of smugmugitis or would it be Dgrinexplexia, only known cure is to keep pressing a camera shutter.
    I find if you just mumble a lot or break out with camera induced touretts fits they leave you alone.

In addition to going up and making a form with these orbs I would also try going closer to the ground and see how that looks, you will have the individual orb or orbs in the frame seem much more imposing which could work as well.

As for post processing try the GIMP, it is free has basically all the tools I use in photoshop.
    edited June 23, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:

571890276_qXyjS-L-0.jpg

Chris,, I look forward to the reshoot.. however, if you don't reshoot OR those do not turn out like you want them, then this can be fixed with layers and masks.. by cropping down to the white car and bringing in a duplicated layer of the pic and masking in the blacktop to fill it in.. At least that is what I would do if I had to fix it..

When ya reshoot how about towards the building? Up above them sounds great too.. I look forward to those shots..

Believe me, I get the same weird looks from folks..The other day, when I was shooting those gas pumps, I had a group of strangers come right up behind me and stand shoulder to shoulder with me and stare.. I said "hello can I help you?" and they said "we were just wondering if ya needed some people to pose for you in your shot"... full grown adult tourists following me around joining in the fun.. ha..wings.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    Believe me, I get the same weird looks from folks..The other day, when I was shooting those gas pumps, I had a group of strangers come right up behind me and stand shoulder to shoulder with me and stare.. I said "hello can I help you?" and they said "we were just wondering if ya needed some people to pose for you in your shot"... full grown adult tourists following me around joining in the fun.. ha..wings.gif
    Must be nice... models just offering themselves!!! geez. I just get the looks. Do I care? nope.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    #5 has LOTS of potential, though I like the rusted car as well. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 23, 2009
    I was going to try a low perspective but the cement was blazing hot we will try it again before the challenge is up. I can bring it into photopaint X3 or Painter 10 and really play with it but I find it better to go and reshoot if possible. I do not mind spending time behind the camera. But I find photo manipulation tedious sometime especially when I have a lot on my plate.
    Have some T Shirt orders I have to get done after work tonight.
    The flowers were not as pretty this morning I will look at them tomorrow. Morning glorys give you something different everyday. Back to work.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Irrespective of the challenge, I love #4 clap.gif