D28 - Large Balls

FioriFotoFioriFoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited June 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
SF, near AT&T Park, using a 90mm tiltshift

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nice... Strong entry indeed... One suggestion..

I like the way that extra space travels out past the last ball, but I think you should clone out the partial ball that is showing there.. In this case it is super easy because it is black space, so even the burn tool would work..

I like the mood it sets being a night shot. It would be cool to see one taken in the day too for comparison if that is possible..? Sometime in the evening when the light is not too harsh because they are so white...

Nice Photo..thumb.gif

Kat
  • FioriFotoFioriFoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nice... Strong entry indeed... One suggestion..

I like the way that extra space travels out past the last ball, but I think you should clone out the partial ball that is showing there.. In this case it is super easy because it is black space, so even the burn tool would work..

I like the mood it sets being a night shot. It would be cool to see one taken in the day too for comparison if that is possible..? Sometime in the evening when the light is not too harsh because they are so white...

Nice Photo..thumb.gif

Kat

I don't use photoshop...only aperture, how would I do that? think I should just crop it down? i have a day shot, but its pretty bland and boring
    edited June 23, 2009
    hmmm. I have never used aperture.. let me check into that.. A crop would work just fine, however, I really think that wrap around effect works positively....

Can we see the day shot? headscratch.gif
    edited June 23, 2009
    thanks for the positive feedback though, I really appreciate it :D
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    FioriFoto wrote:
    I don't use photoshop...only aperture, how would I do that? think I should just crop it down? i have a day shot, but its pretty bland and boring
    Do you mean apeture as in camera settings or is there a software program called that?

(edit) ahhh haaa!! I found it! :D
    edited June 23, 2009
    Here is a link to Apple's tutorial on burning and dodging for ya.. you will find it at the bottom of the "adjust column" Hope it helps..

Kat

http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Good ole Kat... I knew you would get it.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Here is a link to Apple's tutorial on burning and dodging for ya.. you will find it at the bottom of the "adjust column" Hope it helps..

Kat

http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

cool, thnx, I'm a novice editor, I believe if the shot is taken right not much editing besides the basics are needed...but that's just my ignorance speaking since I can't figure out CS4 to save my life ne_nau.gif

i guess i deleted the day shots, wasn't satisfied with them, i'll just have to go back out and take a couple more in the coming days
    edited June 23, 2009
    FioriFoto wrote:
    cool, thnx, I'm a novice editor, I believe if the shot is taken right not much editing besides the basics are needed...but that's just my ignorance speaking since I can't figure out CS4 to save my life ne_nau.gif

i guess i deleted the day shots, wasn't satisfied with them, i'll just have to go back out and take a couple more in the coming days

============

Nah... A lot of Photogs share that opinion on here. I feel the same, and strive to shoot perfection too, but it never hurts to know your digital darkroom skills I always say...

Anyways, I like the cropped one too... I just plain love the shot... it is awesome.. I look forward to those day shots if you find the time to get them... Especially in the evening when the sun is splashing color onto the scene..

P.S. If ya Google CS4 tutorials online they are a great way to learn.. It is how I learned and still learn..

Nice Work... and best of luck in the contest..thumb.gif

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the cleaned up version of the night shot. thumb.gif

I'd be curious to see a daytime shot as well, especially at a time when the sun is low in the sky.

Yes, CS4 can be intimidating nod.gif. But there are some excellent tutorials on line and right here at Dgrin, which will help you get started with it.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    And you don't "have" to use CS4, if you find another editor you like better.

I'm a fan of LightZone, myself ...
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the subjects alot and as I write more of these I see my personal tastes coming through big time lol3.gif

With this image the first ball has a very strong impact, the others with the curb seem to take away, maybe a crop after the 3rd ball?

Since the bright areas are so much brighter than the rest of the image you could probably reduce them just a little with curves and keep the rest of the image around the same. (that would be the fastest/easiest way)
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the subjects alot and as I write more of these I see my personal tastes coming through big time lol3.gif

With this image the first ball has a very strong impact, the others with the curb seem to take away, maybe a crop after the 3rd ball?

Since the bright areas are so much brighter than the rest of the image you could probably reduce them just a little with curves and keep the rest of the image around the same. (that would be the fastest/easiest way)

trying something a little different, a little b/w, a little crop, thoughts?
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    FioriFoto wrote:
    trying something a little different, a little b/w, a little crop, thoughts?

I like it, but is there any way to back down some of the brightness on the first ball? The contrast is looking a little too harsh

Also you need to crop a tiny bit more on the right a sliver of the next ball is showing, and possibly crop a little off the top
    edited June 23, 2009
    Yep, a little to harsh on the light there on that first ball..

but wow.. I like this...:D

Other nits... there is some 4th ball still peeking around the corner as Jon mentioned... and that glare between the second and third ball is a real deal breaker here.... other than that,, I like it a lot.. awesome conversion..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 23, 2009
    Yep, a little to harsh on the light there on that first ball..

but wow.. I like this...:D

Other nits... there is some 4th ball still peeking around the corner as Jon mentioned... and that glare between the second and third ball is a real deal breaker here.... other than that,, I like it a lot.. awesome conversion..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat

thanks for the comments, I'm battling cs4 (I'm like a kindergartner trying to make 8th grade adjustments headscratch.gif), driving me a little nuts, I'd like to tone down the first ball, and I'll correct that crop and drop the top a little, i appreciate the tips
    edited June 23, 2009
    FioriFoto wrote:
    thanks for the comments, I'm battling cs4 (I'm like a kindergartner trying to make 8th grade adjustments headscratch.gif), driving me a little nuts, I'd like to tone down the first ball, and I'll correct that crop and drop the top a little, i appreciate the tips

oh.. been there. I still am with layers and composites but learning..

The only way to truly fix this "as far as I know personally at my level" would be with layers and masks. You would have to bring in that ball on a separate layer and flip it horizontally, and then mask it in on top of the white blowout..and this may be way to confusing for ya.. Other than that, I say go with it as is as a harsher high contrast composition,,,, or re-shoot.. Blowout is tough, and when it is this harsh, you can't use levels or curves to fix it.. as far as I know... There are some real PS buffs on here, and maybe they can tell you different.. but for me, I say re-shoot and careful on the top cropping.. I dont think it needs much. IMHO..

Katthumb.gif
    edited June 26, 2009
    Hi Marc,

Just checking in to see where you are with your shot.. Have you decided to go with the high contrast Black and White? or did ya decide to re-shoot?

Kat
    edited June 26, 2009
    ne_nau.gif

I just picked up a norman d24 lighting kit w/3 strobes, so I've become a little pre-occupied with a studio setup, I have serious ADD with photography
    edited June 26, 2009
    Serious ADD? Never heard it put that way.. Funny..rolleyes1.gif Well I will keep an eye out and try to catch the post if you decide to re-shoot.

Good luck with it.. and kuddos on the new lighting system.. I would be pre-occupied with that too.. :Dthumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 29, 2009
    edited June 29, 2009
    darn, i was too late getting it into the gallery!!!!
    edited June 29, 2009
    Sorry about that.. Was gonna contact you last night to remind you, but did not want to risk being a pest..haha...:D

Your entry was a good one.. you should keep at it..thumb.gif Besides, the next theme, is awesome and, >> and................ you have a whole month to work on it..mwink.gif

Look forward to seeing you on here again Marc...

Kat
    edited June 29, 2009
    Sorry about that.. Was gonna contact you last night to remind you, but did not want to risk being a pest..haha...:D

Your entry was a good one.. you should keep at it..thumb.gif Besides, the next theme, is awesome and, >> and................ you have a whole month to work on it..mwink.gif

Look forward to seeing you on here again Marc...

Kat

Thanks Kat! Your shots are amazing, you've got a great chance at winning!

I blew it, oh well, the next one looks like a doosey, a lot of room for creativity.

I just posted a couple pix from my trip to Mauritius, within the "Journeys" category. How do you post multiple pix with a single posting, I can only add one attachment per post...
    edited June 29, 2009
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Marc..

All you have to do is add the url and then hit enter right afterward, and then click on the insert image button up above again, and add another one.. I am assuming you mean adding pics to a post here on the board right?

Kat