Fathers Day in the Desert

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
A small group of guys got together with kids and friends and spent Fathers Day in the Sonoran Desert SW of Phoenix. Our destination was the old stone house hidden in the Sierra Estrella mountains.

After a dusty then rocky trip the vehicles had to get parked and it was a moderate 3/4 mile hike up a draw to get to the house.

My son perched on the North wall of the stone house taking in the view.
571583640_9got2-L.jpg

View from the parking lot
571583704_U4jgf-L.jpg

Shane's Pathy coming down the hill
571583482_r8B8k-L.jpg

Two more of the 5 vehicles along on the trip
571583293_FAHfX-L.jpg

Rest of the photos were taken by my 10 year old son. :photo

571384415_L5eDQ-L.jpg

571385683_nLKcu-L.jpg

This member made a bad decision and I had to give him a little pull
DSC03818.jpg

He was looking for a short cut to here: Rainbow Rancho an old dirt airport out in the desert
DSC03836.jpg

Additional information about the old stone house.
http://www.sierraestrella.com/mine.html

I'll get better at posting these. No pictures of my ride- funny how that works when you give your kid a camera :dunno

8 hours in the Desert was a good way to spend Fathers Day. :lust
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Looks like you all had fun. I've always wanted to drive our Jeep on roads/trails like that, but he says I wouldn't want to headscratch.gif

Interesting place -- read your link. The airport would be a fun place to photograph.

Your son has a steady hand with the camera -- tell him he did a good job taking those photos thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    Very cool, Aaron! Great location. Trevor's photography keeps getting better and better. That's funny you had to pull a Jeep Wrangler out with your Wagoneer. Oh, the humanity. rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you had a fine Father's Day indeed. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Looks like you all had fun. I've always wanted to drive our Jeep on roads/trails like that, but he says I wouldn't want to headscratch.gif

Interesting place -- read your link. The airport would be a fun place to photograph.

Your son has a steady hand with the camera -- tell him he did a good job taking those photos thumb.gif

Some roads are indeed a little rough in a Jeep. A good section of this trail is nothing more than jagged rocks so it is a little rough on the kidneys. deal.gif

There are a lot of neat things out in the desert and a lot of history. Unfortunately a good section of the desert is closed which includes one of the most scenic trails. Was the old stagecoach and mission trail.

Thanks for the comments about my son. He is indeed getting pretty good with the camera. iloveyou.gif

Aaron Newman

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very cool, Aaron! Great location. Trevor's photography keeps getting better and better. That's funny you had to pull a Jeep Wrangler out with your Wagoneer. Oh, the humanity. rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you had a fine Father's Day indeed. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

It is a Cherokee XJ not a Wagoneer. :smack

Aaron Newman

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Bwaaahhhhhh!!! we can start calling you Clark Griswold with those wagoneer wood sides....
    Aaron Nelson
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    It is a Cherokee XJ not a Wagoneer. :smack
    Oh. Well, back in the day... :rutt
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Looks like you had a great day! Roaming in the desert is a favorite of ours! Did you come across any snakes? I am currently in WV but my husband said the past few weeks the temps in the Valley have been gorgeous for June!