Little Girl in a Frilly Dress

amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited June 23, 2009 in People
These are from a shoot I did last night. C&C on PP, framing, composition etc is welcome. (and ahead of time, the little girl has a lazy eye -not sure what the technical name is sorry- so in one picture it is very prominent) I think she was adorable and fun- I got a few more shots but these were my favorite. =0) Almost all of them also have a b&w version too but I thought I'd post the color versions- I like bright color. =0D Thank you for looking!

#1 (orton edit to make dreamy)
4858_1153407444781_1515511540_384767_5554912_n.jpg

#2 (glasses were hard- first time shoot ppl wearing glasses)
4858_1153407524783_1515511540_384769_3175774_n.jpg

#3 (she was just coming out of a twirl)
4858_1153407404780_1515511540_384766_6494021_n.jpg

#4 (always taking feet shots- every shoot. not sure why most ppl could care less- but I like it lol)
4858_1153407364779_1515511540_384765_1967656_n.jpg

#5 (and this is not as fancy as the others but I loved the few pictures I managed to capture of her eyes)
4858_1153407484782_1515511540_384768_1353115_n.jpg

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Lazy eye: It takes some shooting to get acquainted with whats their 'best' side - You seemed to have found her sweet spot in the later photo's.

Personally, I'd drop #1 and keep all others for presentation to the parents - Even the feet! That shot just seems natural for this set.

Did the parents like them? I'm guessing yes. From experience, the vast majority of parents that I deal with professionally, that have challenged kiddy's (read: LOTS) like to see wall-hangers that permit a showing of the "total package". In #1, the eye steals the show.

Thanks for show-casing this youngin' in her best. thumb.gif
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Lazy eye: It takes some shooting to get acquainted with whats their 'best' side - You seemed to have found her sweet spot in the later photo's.

Personally, I'd drop #1 and keep all others for presentation to the parents - Even the feet! That shot just seems natural for this set.

Did the parents like them? I'm guessing yes. From experience, the vast majority of parents that I deal with professionally, that have challenged kiddy's (read: LOTS) like to see wall-hangers that permit a showing of the "total package". In #1, the eye steals the show.

Thanks for show-casing this youngin' in her best. thumb.gif

Thank you so much for the feedback! Since the little girl was in such a hurry (what 4yo aren't? lol)- I didn't even think to have her look on the OTHER side of the tree. Duh! Live and learn- but thanks for suggesting about downplaying it. Since they were all so comfy- it didn't occur to me to try to hide it. =0D Looking from the other side of the tree then her eye would not have been prominent at all. These sessions are my portfolio building sessions- so the first shot will be remain for the parents but not in my portfolio- their little girl is very comfy with her eye and her glasses- so refreshing I must say!

I am thinking of using this little girl again (mom has tons of these outfits lol) and will keep the eye thing in mind- thank you!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    amp'd wrote:
    Since they were all so comfy- it didn't occur to me to try to hide it.

We can't and shouldn't "hide" these attributes - They're always there and are the make-up of the person. It's just that in some poses, we have to look harder to find it, allowing the viewer a chance to check out and see the entire person 1st.

You know wadda I mean....
    edited June 23, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    We can't and shouldn't "hide" these attributes - They're always there and are the make-up of the person. It's just that in some poses, we have to look harder to find it, allowing the viewer a chance to check out and see the entire person 1st.

You know wadda I mean....

Ahhhh ha! Yes, I do , thanks for clarifying- I took it in a totally different way (up till 3am processing pics does that to one maybe haha) =-D
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    amp'd wrote:
    These are from a shoot I did last night. C&C on PP, framing, composition etc is welcome. (and ahead of time, the little girl has a lazy eye -not sure what the technical name is sorry- so in one picture it is very prominent) I think she was adorable and fun- I got a few more shots but these were my favorite. =0) Almost all of them also have a b&w version too but I thought I'd post the color versions- I like bright color. =0D Thank you for looking!

#1 (orton edit to make dreamy)
    4858_1153407444781_1515511540_384767_5554912_n.jpg

#2 (glasses were hard- first time shoot ppl wearing glasses)
    4858_1153407524783_1515511540_384769_3175774_n.jpg

#3 (she was just coming out of a twirl)
    4858_1153407404780_1515511540_384766_6494021_n.jpg

#4 (always taking feet shots- every shoot. not sure why most ppl could care less- but I like it lol)
    4858_1153407364779_1515511540_384765_1967656_n.jpg

#5 (and this is not as fancy as the others but I loved the few pictures I managed to capture of her eyes)
    4858_1153407484782_1515511540_384768_1353115_n.jpg

For gdsake drop number one. Number two, with the glasses, is truly lovely. The 'whole package' here includes the glasses, and does not need to include the crossed eye. Reality here is that she has what is probably a congenital defect that is corrected with glasses, and I'm going to take a wild guess that the glasses go on when she wakes up, and come off when she goes to bed. So why shoot her without them. (And I write this as a parent.) mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I love them, and the feet shot is great. Nice colors, they really pop. I like the dreamy look on the first one. I use the orton technique a lot... very well done.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com
    edited June 23, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    For gdsake drop number one. Number two, with the glasses, is truly lovely. The 'whole package' here includes the glasses, and does not need to include the crossed eye. Reality here is that she has what is probably a congenital defect that is corrected with glasses, and I'm going to take a wild guess that the glasses go on when she wakes up, and come off when she goes to bed. So why shoot her without them. (And I write this as a parent.) mwink.gif

I never asked the parents to remove her glasses. Sorry you thought so. HER parents asked her to take them off. I would never ask a person to remove glasses unless they were sunglasses. As I stated before, they are very comfortable with her "crossed eye". I set up the shot for glasses- mom took them off.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    amp'd wrote:
    I never asked the parents to remove her glasses. Sorry you thought so. HER parents asked her to take them off. I would never ask a person to remove glasses unless they were sunglasses. As I stated before, they are very comfortable with her "crossed eye". I set up the shot for glasses- mom took them off.

To be perfectly frank, in that situation I'd shoot it but I'd probably tell the parents it didn't work - and I certainly wouldn't display it. But that's me.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 23, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    To be perfectly frank, in that situation I'd shoot it but I'd probably tell the parents it didn't work - and I certainly wouldn't display it. But that's me.

I thank you for the feedback. Curiously you only commented on the one you dislike. No feedback on the others?
    edited June 23, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    I love them, and the feet shot is great. Nice colors, they really pop. I like the dreamy look on the first one. I use the orton technique a lot... very well done.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Thank you for your feedback. I love the orton technique- I have to take it easy on it because I love it soo much. lol
    edited June 23, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

Woohoo- kid free moment. I reread what you wrote and you did comment on another picture. Thanks! Just wanted to correct myself. =0D