Options

Black & White Conversions

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in Finishing School
I have had a number of people ask me how I do my B&W conversions.

B&W conversions:
1. First I load the images into Lightroom (really an amazing B&W tool).
2. I put the image in grayscale mode.
3. Then I usually do some minor adjustments with the tone curve tool to increase contrast. Don't overdo it - too many people overdo B&W contrast in my opinon, you want a nice gentle image that shows a whole range of tones. You want the darks to just barely stay above black and the highlights to maintain detail
4. Then I do my last adjustments with the grayscale channel mixer. The channel mixer is the best kept secret in B&W digital photography. The power you can have with that tool is remarkable. Try swinging the mixer bars all the way to one side or another to see what creative adjustments you can do. I can usually find one or two that produce some adjustments I like. For example, in image number 2 below the leaves in the foreground mixed right in with the steps until I swung one of the channels to the extreme making them brighten right up so they had more pop.
5. Then once I have completed these 3 steps, and any other tweaks you may want to make, then I save it as a PSD.
6. I then load the image in photoshop.
7. If I have any other adjustments to do that I can't do in lightroom I do it now.
8. Then I add a photo filter layer. My favorite filter by far is the Warming Filter (81) - Not (85) unless you like that look, but I find it too overbearing. It is the 3rd preset filter - much better than the other warming filters in my opinion. I usually add around 18%-24% density depending on the image. This filter gives me tones very similar to what I use to get using Ilford warmtone milticontrast paper with Dektol developer in the darkroom. Quite lovely. Most of these images use that filter. However, image number 4 uses one of the cool filters so you can see the different effect. It reminds me of selenium toner. I think filters are essential when making a black & white image. Just as I use to tone prints I made in the darkroom, filters can gently tone images on the computer. They key is to not overdo it. keeping the density in the above-mentioned range should keep that in check.
9. Save it and it is done!

It should be said, if you don't have lightroom, you can still do channel mixing and tonal curve adjustments in photoshop as an added layer - similar to the photo filter layer, I just find it easier to do it in Lightroom.

Some examples:

331077347_ttDmj-L-1.jpg

331059091_uP2hX-L-1.jpg

330399794_xoCWt-L.jpg

301067575_Mfgoq-L.jpg

330763191_DZiWs-L.jpg

For more examples visit my art website. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Comments