Graduation Shot help...

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited June 19, 2005 in People
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help in, as I'm new here. I was informed about this site by Higgmeister, when I ran into him at a Borders Book and coffee shop, while looking at books for photography.

Anyway, tonight in Douglas county Nevada, they're having their graduation ceremony, and I wanted to photograph the people I knew, but I've never really photographed people before, let alone photographed a graduation. I was wondering if anyone could give me hints and tips for good angles, coloration, flash compensation, etc.

Thanks for the help!

And it's nice to meet all of you. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hi Tyler, What equipment are you using?
    Just to help these guys out, you may want to give them a lowdown on what equipment you will be using.

Just a thought,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hehe, good point.

I'm shooting with a Pentax *ist D with a 28-200mm Sigma Lens, and an AF500 FTZ flash.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hi Tyler, here's a start,
    First, the disclaimer: I'm not a portrait photographer and don't do people well. What I say here is what I get from looking at others photos.

First, if you are shooting someone, focus on the eyes. Very important! Don't be afraid of tight crops, but I'd say take a variety, both distant and close. If there is a special (emotional) moment, like when they turn after getting their diploma, that would be a good shot. Plan for it. After the turn, more than likely they will be beaming with excitement. A closeup might be good there. Be aware of what's behind the person; you don't want them sprouting poles from their head (can be PS's out). Selective focus is your friend here.

Get there early and pick your spot. Take into account the lighting that they will have and where they are. Nothing worse that having all the shots with glare from a light. You mentioned that it will be outdoors. Will the sun still be up? Where will it be during the commencement ceremony. You also mentioned a powerful flash. Straight on flash usually creates a flat shot. Is there something to bounce it off of (location is everything). Will you get some bad reflections from the background (windows, metal plaques). Otherwise, consider making a diffuser.

I imagine there are many other things to consider, but have fun with it. Let's see some of what you get.

Good Luck,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Hi DRT wave.gif Welcome to digrin.. you'll get lots of help here.. nice to have you aboard.
    Lynn
    edited June 18, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi DRT wave.gif Welcome to digrin.. you'll get lots of help here.. nice to have you aboard.
    Lynn
    Hiya! Thanks.

I really didn't do too good with the photos of my girlfriend at the graduation. I could have done just as good with a disposable. :( So I'm really going to need some training on how to take photographs of people.

grad016ui.jpg

grad104nj.jpg
    edited June 19, 2005
    Any suggestions?
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    I think the main thing you need to do is to practice with your AF500 flash so that it becomes a tool for you, not something that messes up your photos.

I don't know much about Pentax equipment, but I assume it has similar features to the modern flashes from Nikon or Canon. I'd study the manual in depth and practice before your next event.

You also want to try to bounce the flash from the ceiling, which will give you a more diffused light. If your flash came with a diffuser to go on the front, I'd use that as well.

I get reasonable results using apature prioirty, shutter priority and manual mode on my Nikon camera. I still screw up though, so I make a point of looking at the shot on my LCD, checking the histogram and making adjustments as I go.

This is a lot of good advice on flash techniques to found found on the various photo web sites, serch around and see what you find.

Practice practice practice and you'll be in much better shape next time.

How do you like your *istD? I came close to getting one before settling on Nikon. I really liked the idea of the super small and light body it has.
    edited June 19, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    I think the main thing you need to do is to practice with your AF500 flash so that it becomes a tool for you, not something that messes up your photos.

I don't know much about Pentax equipment, but I assume it has similar features to the modern flashes from Nikon or Canon. I'd study the manual in depth and practice before your next event.

You also want to try to bounce the flash from the ceiling, which will give you a more diffused light. If your flash came with a diffuser to go on the front, I'd use that as well.

I get reasonable results using apature prioirty, shutter priority and manual mode on my Nikon camera. I still screw up though, so I make a point of looking at the shot on my LCD, checking the histogram and making adjustments as I go.

This is a lot of good advice on flash techniques to found found on the various photo web sites, serch around and see what you find.

Practice practice practice and you'll be in much better shape next time.

How do you like your *istD? I came close to getting one before settling on Nikon. I really liked the idea of the super small and light body it has.

I really think I need a difuser, I used a ceiling bounce on the first shot, so I guess the flash was set too powerful by the camera itself. I'll have to start studying the manual modes more like you said.

I really enjoy the *istD. It's still got the features of the larger body cameras, like the 20D's and similar cameras from other companies, yet it's light enough to take with me backpacking without being such a burden. And the clarity and sharpness is wonderful. :)

I can't wait to learn more about how to use my camera and get better shots!