Options

Bike & water Black and White--did it work?

MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited June 25, 2009 in Sports
Thoughts would be appreciated as I am on the fence with this one.

572098424_uJ2um-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the association of what that much water can affect the rider??? I really don't know why...

But it's very artistic and it's always nice to see artistic expression. Keep going.

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I too am on the fence... But i like it for the fact i have never seen something done like that before. 60/40 For likin it!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like it, but I'm not crazy about the slightly OOF second bike. Too bad, wasn't more OOF. Or maybe you can photo shop the second bike out completely. I think I'd really like just the bike in the water.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Yeah the foreground bike is digging out of an apex, the close back bike isn't.

Just trying to find a way to articulate my opinion...
    Rags
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I like it, but I'm not crazy about the slightly OOF second bike. Too bad, wasn't more OOF. Or maybe you can photo shop the second bike out completely. I think I'd really like just the bike in the water.

Does this work? I can get the second biker way OOF but my fear is that the average joe wont know what the heck it is.

Cutting the second bike out of the picture would be a tremendous undertaking. I'd have to maintain the background and manage an non-existent gradient with said background around the bike and the water. At the very least this would translate into some pretty tedious masking...not sure that it would be worth it in the end.

I liked your OOF train of thought tho and put your suggestion to use:

572530886_4nMeX-XL.jpg

Here is the original I worked from. As you can see; piss-poor angle and distance. Not to mention the bland shot.

572550391_5awyi-L.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    i really like both of the b/w's.........really cool......

What did you use to add the water???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    i really like both of the b/w's.........really cool......

What did you use to add the water???

Thanks Art...no secrets on the water. Just an old fashioned composite of the same water shot layered on top of itself 10 ways to Sunday. :D
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I like what you did with the front cycle. I would like it better perhaps if you cropped out the top and left 1/4 of photo as the center of attention is all in the bottom right of the frame. That would largely solve the question of cutting the second biker out of the frame by cutting the second biker out of the frame...
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I like what you did with the front cycle. I would like it better perhaps if you cropped out the top and left 1/4 of photo as the center of attention is all in the bottom right of the frame. That would largely solve the question of cutting the second biker out of the frame by cutting the second biker out of the frame...

I like the idea...here are the results:

572753973_an7RX-XL.jpg
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    That did it! The second bike now adds to the composition. I assume you like the results. The work you did to generate this was incredible
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    That did it! The second bike now adds to the composition. I assume you like the results. The work you did to generate this was incredible

Very pleased with the new crop...I really appreciate taking the time out to make the suggestion. This turned out to be one of the more fun pictures I've worked. The unsettled feeling I started out with (see first post) is now settled.

Thanks ALL for your comments. What a worthwhile journey this was :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    What would happen if they really rode like that through the water? Would they die?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I'm a biker and ride on tracks occasionally, I flinched when I saw the original post. Not for me I'm afraid.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Def. dig the cropped version. Quite awesome to me.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    What would happen if they really rode like that through the water? Would they die?

No grip on the track...the rider would slide all over the place...most likely into the wall. :D
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Here's the color version...this is getting some votes on one of the other boards I use--more so than the B&W (which I am partial to).

573159008_kQe44-XL.jpg
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I like the idea...here are the results:

572753973_an7RX-XL.jpg

Wow. This one works for me.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    B&W works better for me.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    rutt wrote:

No. But the rubber side would be up.

I vote for the last black and white with the cropped back bike, big improvement.
    Rags
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Chris H wrote:
    I'm a biker and ride on tracks occasionally, I flinched when I saw the original post. Not for me I'm afraid.

After seeing the original; what the heck is the first rider leaning (knee draggin') for?
    Rags
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    torags wrote:
    After seeing the original; what the heck is the first rider leaning (knee draggin') for?

Biaggi (the first rider) is lapping a back marker who has kindly sat up and let him past. Biaggi is on the racing line going for it.

EDIT. the last thing he is expecting is to go through a pond.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    :D
    Chris H wrote:
    Biaggi (the first rider) is lapping a back marker who has kindly sat up and let him past. Biaggi is on the racing line going for it.

EDIT. the last thing he is expecting is to go through a pond.

....in the middle of a Utah desert...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    The final b/w crop is absolutley awesome and I feel much more powerful than thecolor version.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website