Options

Okay, I have the account, now what about getting sales?

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I guess I need a SmugMug for Dummies book. :)

I have a Pro account. I am not (currently) running a photography business, I am just using SmugMug because I would like to maybe sell some prints of my images and make a little money (enough to pay for the Pro account and then some glass would be nice!).

Since I am not running a business and just doing this for personal use, I am looking for free or VERY LOW cost solutions for getting the word out about my galleries.

Any suggestions on how to get people to come to my galleries and to make some purchases? I just ordered some Moo Cards with a few images and my name and SmugMug site. I'm looking forward to when the coupon function is added.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Start a blog! Seriously.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Hi Neal,

Welcome to SmugMug! I hope you will love it as much as I do...so much that, to paraphrase that Gillette guy from the 80s, I joined the company!

There are a couple things you need to do.

First keyword, keyword, keyword. make your photos, or your galleries, show up in Google searches.

Check what happens if you search for annmcraephotography on Google.

We have a great help page on keywording here.

Next thing is figure out who would be buying your photos and get the word out to them. You may need to visit potential clients, send them mailers, blog, twitter, facebook, all that old fashioned basic marketing stuff.

It is one thing to have a web site, and display your beautiful work, and quite another to make sure that the right people see it and know how to buy it!

Oh, and on that point, make sure that you have your contact info prominently displayed. Make sure your images are safe from theft.

I hope that helps get you started.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Neal,

Welcome to SmugMug! I hope you will love it as much as I do...so much that, to paraphrase that Gillette guy from the 80s, I joined the company!

There are a couple things you need to do.

First keyword, keyword, keyword. make your photos, or your galleries, show up in Google searches.

Check what happens if you search for annmcraephotography on Google.

We have a great help page on keywording here.

Next thing is figure out who would be buying your photos and get the word out to them. You may need to visit potential clients, send them mailers, blog, twitter, facebook, all that old fashioned basic marketing stuff.

It is one thing to have a web site, and display your beautiful work, and quite another to make sure that the right people see it and know how to buy it!

Oh, and on that point, make sure that you have your contact info prominently displayed. Make sure your images are safe from theft.

I hope that helps get you started.

ann

Ann:

Thank you. I am already doing much of what you suggested. I just Googled "Neal Jacob" and my blog is result #1 and my SmugMug site is result #7.

I just searched on some keywords and did not show up in the results.

I have my URL in Facebook and Twitter. I also setup a fan page on Facebook.

My SmugMug URL is in my signature (http://photos.nealjacob.com) please take a look and see what you think.

Thank you,
    Neal
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Sounds like you're doing the right things. But to be honest expecting folk to stumble upon your site and buy on the spur of the moment just isn't going to happen......for any of us.

Most of the pros here will most likely be making their cash from specific events and just use the site as a vehicle to sell.

Having said that, maybe you'll prove me wrong.

cheers

Chris
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Chris H wrote:
    Most of the pros here will most likely be making their cash from specific events and just use the site as a vehicle to sell.

Exactly. You really have to be proactive when getting your name out. One thing that works very well is to hang some of your prints in your community. Find a restaurant, coffee house, mom and pop store, and hang some images. It is pretty easy and will drive quite a bit of traffic for you.
    Some claim that running ads on craigslist will help to drive traffic.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Thank you Chris and Steve.

I'm trying to get into the local visitor's center, but they only display items from the Arts Council. So, I'm going to talk to them next week (other obligations this week).

When the coupon feature is activated I would like to make up postcards with an image on one side and a coupon code on the reverse. .... "Like this image? Visit http://photos.nealjacob.com to purchase a canvas and use coupon code......" or something like that. :)
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009

One suggestion, make images that are posted on your blog clickable to your smugmug sales site. Depending on the blogging site you use, this is pretty simple.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    One suggestion, make images that are posted on your blog clickable to your smugmug sales site. Depending on the blogging site you use, this is pretty simple.

Thank you! thumb.gif

I just updated a recent post and added the URLs. I'll make sure I do this with all future posts and I'll go back and update older posts as time permits. :)
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Exactly. You really have to be proactive when getting your name out. One thing that works very well is to hang some of your prints in your community. Find a restaurant, coffee house, mom and pop store, and hang some images. It is pretty easy and will drive quite a bit of traffic for you.

This weekend I'm not going to be around much, so I'll put this on my to do list for next week. :)
    Some claim that running ads on craigslist will help to drive traffic.

I'm a little weary about that. I don't really wish to market to the Craig's List crowd. Of course, if they want to buy my images, I'm okay with that.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Hi, I'd suggest not using a trademarked candy maker's icon as your 'About Me' image.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'd suggest not using a trademarked candy maker's icon as your 'About Me' image.

M & M has a feature on their web page called "M & M Me". Your supposed to create an M & M Character that looks like you. After completing the creation of the character, they allow you to save the image. There was nothing saying the image could not be placed on a web page.

I have it there until I get a decent bio photo. Anyone in Northern VA care to shoot my bio photo?

ETA: I have removed the link to the "About Me" page until I have a suitable bio in place.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    M & M has a feature on their web page called "M & M Me". Your supposed to create an M & M Character that looks like you. After completing the creation of the character, they allow you to save the image. There was nothing saying the image could not be placed on a web page.

I have it there until I get a decent bio photo. Anyone in Northern VA care to shoot my bio photo?
    OH really? OK then - I didn't know that :D Carry on!
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Blogging
    whiterice wrote:
    Start a blog! Seriously.

So...how does one start a blog to begin with? ...and have it's link appear on our SM page?headscratch.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009