Prom and more existing light with a white dress

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in People
My daughter at her boyfriends prom. Hopefully the last one she goes to since she is 20! At least she wore the same dress twice. c/c always appreciated and welcomed!

562163114_iw5tu-L.jpg

562160493_pDUFx-L.jpg

562168514_hGzgP-L.jpg

562167125_KWQmk-L.jpg

562149387_5JCj9-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Sandy!!!!

Love the set. Only gripe, and I know it's tought when shooting white, looks like the dress was blown out to compensate for the proper exposure of the face. Which is a little over exposed to me. But it's not a throw away, the framing is great.

#4 is the clear winner. Would you mind if I tinkered with it?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Sandy!!!!

Love the set. Only gripe, and I know it's tought when shooting white, looks like the dress was blown out to compensate for the proper exposure of the face. Which is a little over exposed to me. But it's not a throw away, the framing is great.

#4 is the clear winner. Would you mind if I tinkered with it?
    Tinker away Frank! You know I don't mind. Some of the. Blowout is from pp adding a white vignette to compensate for backlighting and give it a dreamy quality. Maybe I overdid it though! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited June 24, 2009
    Out of all of the children, I'm very fond of this one. ;-)

What do you think?

572526960_xFN6C-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Out of all of the children, I'm very fond of this one. ;-)

What do you think?

572526960_xFN6C-L.jpg

She would HATE that you called her a child! lol... But I love what you did! Has much more pop. anything in specific you did or just a bunch of little tinkers?
    edited June 24, 2009
    Actually Sandy, it's a little secret I use to help underexposed pictures.

I under exposed the shot in camera raw about 2 stops. Then I used the dodge tool set to midtones, a hard brush at 12% and dodged her face!

This workds excellent when you have people with different skin tones in the same frame.

567151523_yxyLw-L.jpg

But who said you only have to use it in that case. ;-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Lovely pictures! Your daughter is stunnnnning!

Trevlan- great tip! I struggle with multi-skin tones in one image. I will have to try this!
    edited June 24, 2009
    amp'd wrote:
    Lovely pictures! Your daughter is stunnnnning!

Trevlan- great tip! I struggle with multi-skin tones in one image. I will have to try this!

Yeah, it works well. It so tough to shoot that high dynamic range because our camera's are limited. As of matter of fact, there were two tones competing for the sensor. The white of her dress and her skin tone. The white obviously being the brighter one. Expose for the dress, and lift the face in photoshop.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Yeah, it works well. It so tough to shoot that high dynamic range because our camera's are limited. As of matter of fact, there were two tones competing for the sensor. The white of her dress and her skin tone. The white obviously being the brighter one. Expose for the dress, and lift the face in photoshop.

White clothes + daylight = nightmare for me. So I will practice on this one more. I appreciate the tip!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Looks lovely.