Options

Help w/ LSII

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited June 19, 2005 in Accessories
Just got my LightsphereII for my Canon 580ex - Came in a cardboard box w/ no instructions.

I have read about a gasket which goes on the flash with the LSII - the only thing in my box was the plastic top and bottom. Am I missing anything?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Don't know anything about any kind of gasket. I have a 550EX and it just slides on. The instructions I had say it should be tighter one way than the other. I have not had any problems with its fit. Maybe the 580EX is different.

Brad
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    I think the gasket is for the 420 to adapt the one size...but I'm just guessing. I have the 420, and I got a gasket.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Just got my LightsphereII for my Canon 580ex - Came in a cardboard box w/ no instructions.

I have read about a gasket which goes on the flash with the LSII - the only thing in my box was the plastic top and bottom. Am I missing anything?
    I got the gasket for mine, a Nikon flash, and I assumed that one was needed for every flash model. Of course this theory might be totally incorrect since I don't have experience with other versions.

What matters is how well it fits on your flash. With the gasket, mine is tricky to get in place, but pretty secure once it's there.

I didn't get any instructions either. If I remember right, there are instructions and a video on Gary Fong's site.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 17, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    I got the gasket for mine, a Nikon flash, and I assumed that one was needed for every flash model. Of course this theory might be totally incorrect since I don't have experience with other versions.

What matters is how well it fits on your flash. With the gasket, mine is tricky to get in place, but pretty secure once it's there.

I didn't get any instructions either. If I remember right, there are instructions and a video on Gary Fong's site.

I got one for the 580EX and I did not get a gasket either - I don't think it is needed for the 580EX. A packing slip referred to instructions on Fong's website, but basically just put on the sphere and point the flash vertical and go. Use the top of the sphere if you are going to point the flash at the subject. I think that is the extent of my understanding. Anyone else with more instructions? DavidTO _ I think you have posted more shots with the LSII than anyone - any other sugestions?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    basically just put on the sphere and point the flash vertical and go. Use the top of the sphere if you are going to point the flash at the subject.
    You don't use the "dome" in the vert position? Seems as though it would spread more light with the dome.

The LSII seems to fit okay without any gasket but the dome seems as though it should fit tighter - no real "snap" when it goes together. Does your "Dome" seem loose?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    My dome definitely snaps. In fact, I sometimes have a bit of trouble getting it off!

Bodley wrote:
    You don't use the "dome" in the vert position? Seems as though it would spread more light with the dome.

The LSII seems to fit okay without any gasket but the dome seems as though it should fit tighter - no real "snap" when it goes together. Does your "Dome" seem loose?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 19, 2005
    Bodley wrote:

Yes, the Dome seems kind of loose to me too! I suspect 2 one inch pieces of Scotch magic tape will secure it just fine.

From Fong's website, he says to use the Dome out of doors by pointing the flash straight at the subject with the Dome in place. Or the Dome can be used with LOW ceilings pointed straight up - like maybe 8 foot ceilings in a home. But it actually works pretty well without the Dome too with the 580EX. Which makes sense because I find the 580 ex works as Fill very nicely at EC -2/3 to -1 out of doors without a difeser at all. But the light will be much softer with the LS II.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin