Sk8er

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in People
Here are a few shots of Mark, the son of Dani California. ;-)

This was later in the evening, after her first set. Mark brought out his skateboard and I was given a free opportunity to exeriment with light, exposure and action. Can't complain! Any thoughts?

572480874_e4S2a-L.jpg

572480518_Vbtsq-L.jpg

572481887_Gs5Td-L.jpg

572480980_Rp2Wz-L.jpg

572480039_UcZUD-L.jpg

Mark
572479961_uGL2c-L.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    #3 is WOW! But I'd remove the bright streak on the hedge R, and the shadows. (OTOH the shadows in #4 really add to the effect.) I'd add some motion blur across the bottom, and back up the path a ways, as well.

And I like the portrait a lot, also the kid is handsome. OB flash (?) works well here, just push back the highlight on the forehead.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I like the portrait alot, although I find the aspect ratio a bit, erm, wierd.
    I think square would work or just crop the top.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    adrian_k wrote:
    I like the portrait alot, although I find the aspect ratio a bit, erm, wierd.
    I think square would work or just crop the top.

Maybe square would be too "square"?

I like the composition, it's a bit edgy (pun!), just a bit "off" (pun!)! So - fresh (pun, see below!).

It also could be seen as showing his "personal space", the camera seems to have discovered him kind of leaning in the right, he is alone, the space is maybe an invitation, his expression is enigmatic enough for that interpretation...

Whatever, I don't think you could spin a story like that out of a square crop!:Drolleyes1.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Maybe square would be too "square"?

I like the composition, it's a bit edgy (pun!), just a bit "off" (pun!)! So - fresh (pun, see below!).

It also could be seen as showing his "personal space", the camera seems to have discovered him kind of leaning in the right, he is alone, the space is maybe an invitation, his expression is enigmatic enough for that interpretation...

Whatever, I don't think you could spin a story like that out of a square crop!:Drolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I agree completely...nice work on this portrait - just tone down the hotspot on the forehead - very cool!
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Neat work..... Could ya shed some lite on how these were achived?
    My interests mainly go towards 3 and 6 (Mark).
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Wow love #3 and #1 is really cool too!!
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys. Mark is a fun character.

I didn't even notice the hot spot on the forehead until you guys pointed it out. LoL. Now it's distracting as all hell. lmao!

#4 Was a paning shot, the flash froze him. F4.5 ISO 200 at 4/10ths of a second.

#6 Was about 30 degrees camera right. F5.3 ISO 200 at 1/500'th of a second. All of the shots were in an umbrella.

Also, to get the black background, I set my shutter speed to camera flash sync.

Afer 100% sized scrutiny, the 'hot spot' on his forehead was actually a scar. Got to love that smooth skin. LoL. Healing brush made little work of that scar. Here is the version with the requested improvements. This is an 8 x 10 crop

573011838_j8cSU-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys. Mark is a fun character.

I didn't even notice the hot spot on the forehead until you guys pointed it out. LoL. Now it's distracting as all hell. lmao!

#4 Was a paning shot, the flash froze him. F4.5 ISO 200 at 4/10ths of a second.

#6 Was about 30 degrees camera right. F5.3 ISO 200 at 1/500'th of a second. All of the shots were in an umbrella.

Also, to get the black background, I set my shutter speed to camera flash sync.

Afer 100% sized scrutiny, the 'hot spot' on his forehead was actually a scar. Got to love that smooth skin. LoL. Healing brush made little work of that scar. Here is the version with the requested improvements. This is an 8 x 10 crop

573011838_j8cSU-L.jpg

Nice stuff, Trevlan. I especially like No. 5 and the portrait. My son has been shooting skateboarders for a living about 15 years now, and I know how tough it is to do well.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Fabulous job Frank (so nice to see you posting!). I especially love 1 and 3 - care to share how you got those effects? :D
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    #3 is WOW for me. Amazing!!! I really enjoyed all of them- great portrait too!
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Fabulous job Frank (so nice to see you posting!). I especially love 1 and 3 - care to share how you got those effects? :D

Basically, all you need to do is drag the shutter. Rear curtain sync and you are golden. But I should have also tried the the opposite to see what would have happened. I'm sure it would have been interesting as well.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter