San Diego Pier

SavSav Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 25, 2009 in Landscapes
I went to shoot the sunset but by the time I got there it was cloudy.

Let me know what you think of this photo.

Thanks for your time.

Sav

ps. only picture allowed to upload?

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 24, 2009
    Love the colors, the calm sea, the way the pier "shoots" out into the sea.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin, Sav! wave.gif

I like your shot... is it the Imperial Beach pier? headscratch.gif

I've had plenty of days where there's a nice sky near my house and by the time I get down to the beach (10 minutes away at most) it's completely overcast, so I feel your pain. But I think you made the most of it. Nice composition.

On suggestion for next time your down there, if you go with a super small apperture, say f22, that light on the right will come out as a nice looking star. As it is right now it's a little too dominant for the rest of the image.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Nice shot, Sav, and welcome to DGrin! It's a lovely first post. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • SavSav Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2009
    This is Scripp Pier at La Jolla
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin, Sav! wave.gif

I like your shot... is it the Imperial Beach pier? headscratch.gif

I've had plenty of days where there's a nice sky near my house and by the time I get down to the beach (10 minutes away at most) it's completely overcast, so I feel your pain. But I think you made the most of it. Nice composition.

On suggestion for next time your down there, if you go with a super small apperture, say f22, that light on the right will come out as a nice looking star. As it is right now it's a little too dominant for the rest of the image.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely try f22 next time. This is my second time shooting with my new Tamron 10-24 lens.
  • SavSav Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2009
    Here is another shot of the pier before sunset
    Sav wrote:
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely try f22 next time. This is my second time shooting with my new Tamron 10-24 lens.

On some of my shots, I found that the pier is kind of leaning to one side when shooting closed to the pier. Is there a way to correct this problem?

Thanks,

Sav
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Sav wrote:
    On some of my shots, I found that the pier is kind of leaning to one side when shooting closed to the pier. Is there a way to correct this problem?

Thanks,

Sav

If you mean the slightly skewed perspective due to the barrel distortion of a wide-angle lens, the crop tool in PS can fix this:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/187634