DSS #28 - C&C Welcome

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited June 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think I'm going with circles. A few ideas:

Cork
572423823_SQCx8-M.jpg
I know this is a very shallow DOF (from me? what a surprise!), but there's something that I really like about it.

Acoustic 1
572425776_2QVEj-M.jpg

Acoustic 2
572428372_Q75FK-M.jpg
I can do a reshoot on these easily (and probably should in better light), so feel free to go crazy with suggestions/ideas.

And just for kicks - here's a square ;)
572717713_Cbc2F-M.jpg
Don't worry, this isn't up for consideration for entry - I just thought it was hilarious (it's SOC, btw).

Thanks!
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I really like the picture of the cork -- If you can try and bring out more detail in the cork, it will strengthen the composition and make it pop even more than it already does.

As for the guitars, that is also a very nice composition and I like acoustic 1 the best. :D

Karl
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I think a shot of the cork from the same angle but really close up (as in the cork virtually filling the frame) would look great, but maybe with a bit more dof to unblur the bottle just a tad. Perhaps with a square crop too.

Great idea thumb.gifthumb

Tim
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I think I prefer the guitars (nice b&w). However, I'm curious to see a shot that incorporates both the neck and soundhole. The way the strings cross the frets perpendicular makes for a lot of nice symetrical squares, and all those squares would contrast nicely with the larger circular soundhole. (IMO)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    I think I prefer the guitars (nice b&w). However, I'm curious to see a shot that incorporates both the neck and soundhole. The way the strings cross the frets perpendicular makes for a lot of nice symetrical squares, and all those squares would contrast nicely with the larger circular soundhole. (IMO)

15524779-Ti.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I like Cork and the depth of field is awesome. The one thing that got me was the position of the detail of the cork, its not centered, and not really off to the side, and a part of the bottle almost is anchored at the center point, almost gives my eyes an uneasy feeling but the more I look at it I kind of like that so not sure what to do on that front.
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Ok, now I am sold that you love that shallow DOF :D The cork shot is beautiful and has a great potential (very good the way it is already). As some have already suggested, play with different crops and perspectives and see if you can improve it. Very clever idea!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate you taking a moment to comment.

Re Cork DOF:
    I had tried some variations and liked the shallowest DOF field best. Once it I gave it a greater DOF, the floorboards were a little distracting to my eye (SOC - no tweaking):
    573278608_Z2GVQ-M.jpg
    original for comparison:
    572423823_SQCx8-M.jpg
    I can do a reshoot on this for more detail in the cork.

Re Acoustic:
    I had tried a variety of angles and found the fretboards and strings to distracting. I really liked some of the shots, but they looked less like "circle" and more like "guitar and ukulele". Also, I liked the reflection in the shot that I posted, which is one of the main reasons I chose it over the rest, though I'm willing to part with it. Some others from the same session (SOC - no tweaking):
    573280554_M7QTi-S.jpg
    573282266_FmjAA-S.jpg
    3 - The more I look at this one, the more I like it...
    573290628_7tavc-S.jpg
    573288116_dqnia-S.jpg
    573286438_kqqUh-S.jpg
    Webpage

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I like your original cork shot best, I think the floor is a little distracting on the reshoot. The guitars are nice too, but I think the cork shot is more original.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited June 25, 2009
    For the guitar shots, ditch the red uke and try some shots with just the guitar. The angle of the guitar in Acoustic 1 looks quite nice. I would try a shot of it at a similar angle and crop but with the sound hole fully showing.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    My vote is for the original cork shot or the acoustic #2 with a lower crop so just the rest of the lower bottom circle shows..thumb.gif

Kat
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I like the idea of the original cork image but with a few tweaks. (If I was doing this I'd...) Shoot from directly over the bottle so as to have concentric circles. Cork inside the neck, neck inside the outer surface of the bottle. When shooting, leave enough room around the bottle so that you can crop in PP to place the bottle toward one of the corners of the final image. Use a little deeper DOF so that the top of the cork and the first part of the bottle's body is in focus. As for the surface (background) I would use something with a continuous tone. The lines, no matter how blurred are a distraction to me.

This is a cool idea and I'm sure that you will nail the final take.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I do like the original cork with the shallowest DOF. I like the composition, crop. I don't think there is anything I'd change - maybe selectively sharpening the cork, or selectively desaturating the rest of the image to emphasize the cork? ne_nau.gif - just thinking aloud!

But, of you newly uploaded images, I really, REALLY like #3. Love the colors, the DOF - this is a real winner IMO! clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 25, 2009
    I think I'm going to go with the cork just because it's different and folks seem to think it's interesting.

Here's a reshoot and original for comparison:

I took Kev's advice and tried for a DOF that allowed the top of the neck to be in focus as well (or at least discernible!), and used a different surface so that the lines of the floorboards wouldn't be distracting. I'm worried that it's a little dark, though. Might need one last reshoot in really good light.

Cork 2
    574212427_va2vs-M.jpg

Cork 1
    572423823_SQCx8-M.jpg

Thank you all so much for your critique through the various challenges; all of your comments and suggestions really help my photography skills grow. It's very much appreciated!
    Webpage

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    You really pulled that texture out of that cork! It looks nice :D I would be interested in seeing the reshoot you talk about with the lighting changes.

Karl
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I like this reshoot! Very well done. thumb.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited June 26, 2009
    #1 on the reshoot is very nice... Love the texture on the cork... and some great depth too..thumb.gif Kevin was right about that flooring... I like this one much better..

If ya end up re--shooting with the better light that you mentioned, I would try out a blue background of continuous tone too, it may contrast better with the green bottle than black.. The black looks awesome, but a step up to blue on the color wheel may have surprising contrast results too.. ya never know....mwink.gif

It looks great..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 26, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I like this reshoot! Very well done. thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif This looks really great.....and I like this crop/comp better than the original....something about the placement of the first makes me feel unsettled not that I compare.
    - Christopher
    edited June 26, 2009
    alright, last version of the cork shot in better light and on a different surface:

Cork 3
    574821594_jBNRs-M.jpg

I'm kinda stuck between 2 and 3 :)
    Webpage

edited June 26, 2009
    I like the warmer feel of this background. But, I'd move the bottle down just a smidge.
    - Christopher
    edited June 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I like the warmer feel of this background. But, I'd move the bottle down just a smidge.

Yeah, I really wish I could, but what you're seeing is the whole vertical height of the shot, so I'd actually have to set up again and reshoot in tomorrow's mid-morning light, which is unlikely at this point :)
    Webpage

edited June 26, 2009
    Hard choice,, I like both too.. However, I think #3 is more visually stunning.

I like the way the colored background contrasts and looks on the green bottle, and I kinda like the added smooth texture in the background too, it make the bottle seem less lonely and balances it too..Plus the cork in #3 is better and has more presence and texture.. and that blue glow on the bottle is pretty too..

I vote #3 then #2

Nice Work
    Kat
    edited June 26, 2009
    man, you guys are fast! thanks for your thoughts! :D
    Webpage

edited June 26, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Yeah, I really wish I could, but what you're seeing is the whole vertical height of the shot, so I'd actually have to set up again and reshoot in tomorrow's mid-morning light, which is unlikely at this point :)

For this shot it wouldn't be difficult at all to add canvas to the top and/or crop the bottom. Easier than reshooting.
    - Christopher
    edited June 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    For this shot it wouldn't be difficult at all to add canvas to the top and/or crop the bottom. Easier than reshooting.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    One of my favorites ... looking good. Regarding adding canvas, if you have Photoshop CS4, there is a new feature called "Content Aware Scaling" where this can easily be accomplished without doing any cloning at all. First you need to use your lasso tool to make a selection around the bottle to tell Photoshop not to stretch those pixels before doing that. It can be a very loose selection. If you are not familiar with how it works, Google it and you will love it. I just used that feature on the grass in my entry.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 26, 2009
    One of my favorites ... looking good. Regarding adding canvas, if you have Photoshop CS4, there is a new feature called "Content Aware Scaling" where this can easily be accomplished without doing any cloning at all. First you need to use your lasso tool to make a selection around the the bottle to tell Photoshop not to stretch those pixels before doing that. It can be a very loose selection. If you are not familiar with how it works, Google it and you will love it. I just used that feature on the grass in my entry.

Fancy stuff!!
    - Christopher
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I like the cork original.
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks again everyone for all of your help! I took version 3, darkened it just a touch, and submitted it.
    Webpage

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I like your entry.
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Kristin,

Your entry looks great in the gallery! Great choice and nicely done!thumb.gif

Brian