DSS #28 Chandeliers Ahoy!

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Oh, come and see my pictures
Of a chandelier so high,
And help me pick a winner,
Or else I just might cry ... :D

C&C Needed, reshoots not possible, PP very possible.

569217300_C4zcf-L.jpg

#2. (Bonus, never before seen material!)
569218944_3dzSg-L.jpg

#3 (Croppe of #4)
572243880_hVQi6-L-1.jpg

#4 (Uncrop of #3)
569219944_5KahU-L.jpg

#5 (Another bonus pic.)
569223548_RiaUB-L.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Oh No....... Mark is waxing poetic...eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Geez Mark, I dunno, They are all so nice... and every crop is has its own strength.

I am going to have to think on it and comment later to be sure to give my best advice..

I do like the addition of #5 too, that is cool, it shows off the squares even more, plus that larger circle and square at the bottom is kind of neat too...:D:D:D

#2 and #4 look like the bottom of a UFO.. ha ha... looks like the X-files works its way into your work yet again...rolleyes1.gif

Need some time to think.. which is your fav by chance? Just curious..headscratch.gif

Kat
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    @Kat, honestly, I've stared at these so many times I don't think I can make any reasoned judgements on any of these anymore. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    I am voting #1, #5 or #3..

That is as narrowed down as I can get it for now... Will come back and look again later for sure.. I know what you mean... They are awesome, but sometimes when you look at awesome for too long it boggles the eyes..:wow

Kat
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    1 or 3, and the decision isn't getting any easier for me on which one I like more so best of luck, the good news is both are good images so you can't really go wrong thumb.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    1 or 3, and the decision isn't getting any easier for me on which one I like more so best of luck, the good news is both are good images so you can't really go wrong thumb.gif

Here Here.. I agree15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Hi Mark,

I would have to go with #3 mainly because I feel like it shows the circles in a more complete way. In the other ones, though beautiful, the rectangles in the perimeter are interfering with the circles. Had they been squares, I may have had a different opinion, but they clearly look more like rectangles to me, so the tighter crop in #3 sends a stronger message.

one more thing. I am kind of not sold on the title, because when I look at the Chandelier from the perspective you are showing it, I don't think of circles at all, however when I look at the ceiling right above it, I do.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 24, 2009
    Hi Mark,

I would have to go with #3 mainly because I feel like it shows the circles in a more complete way. In the other ones, though beautiful, the rectangles in the perimeter are interfering with the circles. Had they been squares, I may have had a different opinion, but they clearly look more like rectangles to me, so the tighter crop in #3 sends a stronger message.

one more thing. I am kind of not sold on the title, because when I look at the Chandelier from the perspective you are showing it, I don't think of circles at all, however when I look at the ceiling right above it, I do.

Chandeliers Ahoy! isn't an actual title ... I'm not that jaded.deal.gif If I was, my previous entries would have titles like "Colored Water," "A dozen eggs and a flashlight," and my latest, "Ceiling Tiles." mwink.gif

I was actually thinking of something simple, like "Looking Up."

Of course, this
    edited June 24, 2009
    You got me there rolleyes1.gif
    Allen Parseghian

edited June 24, 2009
    You got me there rolleyes1.gif

Having said that, I kinda like "Ceiling Tiles." Hmmm. headscratch.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Having said that, I kinda like "Ceiling Tiles." Hmmm. headscratch.gif

Or something along those lines. Something that tells the viewer to focus on the circles and not so much on the non-circular (as it appears) chandelier, I guess.

Btw, I love all the colors, they look awesome!
    Allen Parseghian

edited June 24, 2009
    Or something along those lines. Something that tells the viewer to focus on the circles and not so much on the non-circular (as it appears) chandelier, I guess.

Btw, I love all the colors, they look awesome!

It is an awesome old theater. I am lucky to have been able to snap a few pics, as they are usually very strict about any kind of photography. Which is kind of ironic, given that the whole thing was funded by and named after George Eastman. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    It is an awesome old theater. I am lucky to have been able to snap a few pics, as they are usually very strict about any kind of photography. Which is kind of ironic, given that the whole thing was funded by and named after George Eastman. ne_nau.gif

It is amazing how sharp and crisp they have come out. Did you use a tripod?
    Allen Parseghian

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Beautiful work Mark thumb.gif .

My vote - #3. They all look great, but #3 stands out to me. My only one tiny suggestion would be to darken the one square tile on the lower-middle left that is brighter than the other areas. Otherwise, upload away to the challenge gallery. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 24, 2009
    It is amazing how sharp and crisp they have come out. Did you use a tripod?

No, but I was 1) really close - upper balcony, which I later found out was supposed to be blocked off. 2) shooting at the primary light source for the entire theater - it's just this and the stage lights. This thing is amazingly really big, and I don't think my pics do it justice for the size of it. I also shot at ISO 800, which helped. :D

Here's some trivia about this chandelier:

35 feet tall
    585 lights
    over 20,000 crystals.

It gets lowered and cleaned every few years. Here's an article from the last time they did it.
    edited June 24, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    No, but I was 1) really close - upper balcony, which I later found out was supposed to be blocked off. 2) shooting at the primary light source for the entire theater - it's just this and the stage lights. This thing amazingly really big, and I don't think my pics do it justice for the size of it. I also shot at ISO 800, which helped. :D

Awesome! One of the strongest entries (to be) so far!
    Allen Parseghian

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Number two!

Love the blue tinted background there :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited June 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your help! thumb.gif

I have a new version up in the challenge gallery based on #3. Not sure if it's too saturated now though. ne_nau.gif

It's up. I'm done. Thank you again to everyone for your kind comments and criticisms.
    edited June 24, 2009
    It looks mighty fine up there too Mark...

Very competitive and job well done....wings.gif

I like the small change you made on the rework up there in the gallery too..

Good Call...:D

Best of Luck to You..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 24, 2009
    It looks mighty fine up there too Mark...

Very competitive and job well done....wings.gif

I like the small change you made on the rework up there in the gallery too..

Good Call...:D

Best of Luck to You..thumb.gif

Kat

@Kat, thank you for your kind words.

@Pyry, the blue is probably from the murals that line the walls of the theatre. Most of them are sky scenes. Here's the one that I was able to take a picture of with my flash:
    569826946_8eobY-M.jpg It really is a gorgeous theatre.

@Nightpixels, you're making me blush!

@whiterice, Nikonsandvstroms, and everyone else who's commented, good luck, godspeed, and good shooting. May you never take a dozen shots at f/29 and then wonder why the hell they are all so dark. (oops. rolleyes1.gif )
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    sorry i'm late to respond - i still like #4 the uncrop of #3... whatever the original #3 was :) but, you're submitted so i'm not going to make you go change it :)

i hadn't realized that they were so strict about photography there - i had a field day with my point and shoot one time a few years ago.... ooops :) it wasn't during a performance though, we were there on the day of my sister's doctoral graduation from UofR for some reason...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited June 24, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    sorry i'm late to respond - i still like #4 the uncrop of #3... whatever the original #3 was :) but, you're submitted so i'm not going to make you go change it :)

i hadn't realized that they were so strict about photography there - i had a field day with my point and shoot one time a few years ago.... ooops :) it wasn't during a performance though, we were there on the day of my sister's doctoral graduation from UofR for some reason...

To be fair, except for by bro-in-law's graduation, the only time I'm there have been for concerts, which probably had their own contracts in place for video/photo.
    edited June 25, 2009
    And, a new version is posted in the gallery, 'cause I can't leave well enough alone ... ne_nau.gif