Loving my new Canon 50D + 24-70mm/2.8 lens already!

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Cameras
I've posted several questions recently and appreciate all of the feedback I received because it was all helpful in making my decision. I've only played with it a little so far because the battery just finished charging, but am thrilled with my purchase already! I can tell that I'll need to build up some hand muscles to be able to support the lens for extended periods of time, but I know I'll get used to it. If you have any words of wisdom to share about either new toy, feel free to share!

Comments

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Wait till you get an 11 hour long day of shooting with the 50D, battery grip and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS.... Talk about a long day with sore arms and back at the end of it.

Congrats on the 50D.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Wait till you get an 11 hour long day of shooting with the 50D, battery grip and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS.... Talk about a long day with sore arms and back at the end of it.

Congrats on the 50D.

Don't forget the external flash! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited June 24, 2009
    It was a gymnastics meet, so no flash...
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Congrats. I get my 24-70 tomorrow Jen.

Dan
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I've had mine about 6 weeks and love it, despite the weight. With time--as you get the hang of the controls--it gets only better. The Canon engineers did an amazing job of figuring out how to make the controls intuitive and fast.

Re weight: I haven't found any need for a battery pack--the battery holds up reasonably well, and a spare charged battery is both a lot cheaper and a lot lighter than a battery pack. Best way to handle the weight is coincidentally a good way to stabilize the camera: keep your left elbow firmly against your torso. For shlepping it for long periods, I got a camera backpack (specifically, the Tamrac Adventure 9), which makes the weight of the camera and extra lenses trivial to carry.

Have fun.

jennievii wrote:
    I've posted several questions recently and appreciate all of the feedback I received because it was all helpful in making my decision. I've only played with it a little so far because the battery just finished charging, but am thrilled with my purchase already! I can tell that I'll need to build up some hand muscles to be able to support the lens for extended periods of time, but I know I'll get used to it. If you have any words of wisdom to share about either new toy, feel free to share!
    edited June 26, 2009
    I shoot portrait mode a fair amount. For instance 99% of that 11 hour long gymnastics competition was shot portrait. The battery grip was a life saver.
    I also was able to go the full day without a battery change....

that's about 3000 pictures, if not more.

I also find the battery grip is more comfortable. One day it was raining a little out so I took off the grip, only non weather sealed part (BG-E2). Found it very uncomfortable in comparison. Still better than a Rebel though.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    I shoot portrait mode a fair amount. For instance 99% of that 11 hour long gymnastics competition was shot portrait. The battery grip was a life saver.
    I also was able to go the full day without a battery change....

that's about 3000 pictures, if not more.

I also find the battery grip is more comfortable. One day it was raining a little out so I took off the grip, only non weather sealed part (BG-E2). Found it very uncomfortable in comparison. Still better than a Rebel though.
    I use the grip for the shutter button convenience. You don't have to use both batteries in the grip if you want to cut the weight a little. Just put one in and use it that way.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
    edited June 26, 2009
    I use the grip for the shutter button convenience. You don't have to use both batteries in the grip if you want to cut the weight a little. Just put one in and use it that way.
    Mike

Absolutely, but I love not worrying about my batteries. Like I said, ALL day on one set.

Besides i am a big guy, 5' 10" 290 pounds, was a bouncer for 5 years. A camera I can handle, even with all the bells and whistles :)