Noisy fan on graphics card

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 30, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I have an Nvidia FX 5200 graphics card and the fan is making lots of, (I am going to die any minute now), type noise.

Does anyone know if these little fans can be replaced?

I will be upgrading my computer shortly so I am not inclined to buy an updated graphics card for this computer.

Sam

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 24, 2009
    Sam, I had a fan on a Pentium that was noisy with a shrill bearing squealing, but it lasted over a year. I finally replaced the fan, wasn't hard, and then replaced the computer with a newer one, and it was still running fine.

I hate noisy fans, that is one of the things I like about my current Mac. It is silent.

If you are planning on replacing your computer within the year, I would just try to tough it out. It may last longer than you think. But it might lock up and die, too..... Then you will have your answer.thumb.gif

I don't know, for certain, whether they can be replaced on an NVidia board or not. If they fan is removeable, I'll bet they can be replaced or kludged somehow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    I have a Nvidia card that I'm not using. I'm not at home right now so I'll send you the specs tomorrow. I know it has 512mb of video ram. I let you have it if you pay for shipping.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I have a Nvidia card that I'm not using. I'm not at home right now so I'll send you the specs tomorrow. I know it has 512mb of video ram. I let you have it if you pay for shipping.

If it looks like the fan can be used I will take you up on the offer.

Sam
    edited June 25, 2009
    Maybe I should have elaborated on this a little. The noise is intermittent, and can be rhythmic. It's a loud segueing growl. I thought it was the hard drive so there went the whole day buying the drive, figuring out how to clone the drive to be boot able etc. only to discover the noise was still there.

After disconnecting a million wires and moving the computer out from under the dark recesses of the desk and blowing out enough stuff to fill up half the grand canyon I was able to see that there even was a fan on the graphics card.

Also as a side note, you can't simply disconnect the little fan and use an out side fan to cool the card. When the power cord to the fan is disconnected the card stops working.

Sam
    edited June 25, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    If it looks like the fan can be used I will take you up on the offer.

Sam

It would be simpler to just replace the card. (unless the video chip is built into the computer) The one that I am offering will probably add some life to your computer!:D I think it is a 7600 AGP but I'll need to check. It does require your computer to have a minimum of 300W on the power supply.

If you just want to replace the fan you could try something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118001

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Here are the specs on the card: PNY Verto GeForce GS 7600 w/ 512MG DDr2 Ram 8x AGP Graphics Card
    Glenn

edited June 26, 2009
    Hi Glenn,

Here is an update: I removed the fan, banged in the desk, yelled at it explaining what a piece of*^%7 it was, and told it if it didn't straighten up I was going to pull the power plug and there would be no more pretty pictures or colors, the world would become total darkness.

So far it's working, the fan has stopped it's demonic howling and is behaving well.

Ya just gota have technical skills in todays world.

Sam
    edited June 26, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Glenn,

Here is an update: I removed the fan, banged in the desk, yelled at it explaining what a piece of*^%7 it was, and told it if it didn't straighten up I was going to pull the power plug and there would be no more pretty pictures or colors, the world would become total darkness.

So far it's working, the fan has stopped it's demonic howling and is behaving well.

Ya just gota have technical skills in todays world.

Sam
    rolleyes1.gif I'll have to remember that technique next time my computer is out of line!
    Glenn

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Sam,

Several years ago I had an ATi AGP card fail due to a fan the had frozen. It was RMA'd and the second card went about six months before it's fan froze. The second time around I bought a third party(Zalman) replacement fan and replaced it myself. That was nearly 4 years ago and the fan is still working and silent, much quieter even than the original fan.

Similar to what I used......
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118001

It was a piece of cake. Mine came with the thermal paste that was needed between the GPU and heatsink, and it really took more time to get the old fan off than anything else.

FWIW, since a new fan will run $40 or so, I might try a different approach. If the slot on your motherboard is compatible with the card you plan to use in your upgrade, then perhaps just buy the new card now and pop it in.
    edited June 30, 2009
    Jeff,

This is an old Pentium 4 PC just limping along. I plan on replacing it with the new 8 quad Mac Pro. So there isn't anything I know of that could be used in the Mac. The new card in the Mac will be way more advanced than the one I have. Besides the fan is still quiet as a mouse full of cheese.

Sam