Wings N Wheels St Thomas, Ontario

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Went to an airshow last Sunday as a father's day gift to me and my dad. The line-up of aircraft was impressive for a Canadian airshow and they put on a great show.

Unfortunately the weather Friday and Saturday was wet and the organizers were underprepared. According to one of the organizers 50,000 cars could not get to the airshow. I was one of the many that did not.
We ended up parking at a garage and sitting at the side of the road near the end of the runway. Made for a different perspective.

Most annoying part though was the 3 hours in a car being shuffled from front lot to back lot than back to front lot.... Never made it all the way around, found the garage first.

So no cars, but lots of planes. Even though I missed the Lancaster fly-by :(

F-16 pulling hard on the deck.
572955814_2fXPx-XL.jpg

F-16 low and fast.
572958787_XvkaV-XL.jpg

F-16 leaving a trail in the sky. One of the wife's favorites.
573127904_esw2j-XL.jpg

My favourite F-16 shot.
573127484_J3n5D-XL.jpg

F-15 low and fast
572957744_bn5g7-XL.jpg

CF-18 showing off at take-off
573128753_H83tX-XL.jpg

Snowbirds with a Sabre (Hawk 1 I believe)
573130287_PbNLP-XL.jpg

Obligatory A-10 shots :)
572959544_TrrqB-XL.jpg

573129664_KCdv7-XL.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Great shots!! I enjoyed all of them! The F-15, Low and Fast is awesome.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Hmmm, not sure why the snowbirds shot is not working. All photos are in the same gallery and I just re-did the link to it.
  • River_RatRiver_Rat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    fantastic clap.gif

what lens were you using?
  • JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    St. Thomas
    Wow, I was there on the Sunday ... I had no idea that they turned any cars away. The field we parked in was only about 1/4 full, near the taxiway that the Snowbirds and A-10 Thunderbolts were parked. There was very few people where we were.

Anyway, it was a great show ...

http://pilot.smugmug.com/Aviation/817372

Steve
    edited June 25, 2009
    Thousands of cars were turned away. Small local businesses started to open up their parking lots (for a cost) for all the cars lining the roads. Annoying part was being sent from front entrance, to back entrance back to the front entrance....

Jetranger, Looked at your shots as well. Some beautiful shots there. I enjoyed seeing the different angle on the CF-18 take-off. Would have been nice without an A-10 blocking the view.

River_rat, Thoe were just done with a 70-200 on my 50D from the end of the runway.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Great series! Love them all. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Yes, well I asked them to move the A-10 out of the way for me but they wouldn't. mwink.gif Are you planning to go to Trenton?
    Toshido wrote:

Jetranger, Looked at your shots as well. Some beautiful shots there. I enjoyed seeing the different angle on the CF-18 take-off. Would have been nice without an A-10 blocking the view.

Steve
    edited June 26, 2009
    I am currently in negotiations with the wife about Trenton. It is close to 3 hour drive with 2 young ones for something that I am the only one really interested in.
    My 4 year old loves to go to the airshows, but his attention span is not there yet. He spent most of his time at St Thomas playing with the gravel at the side of the road.