573552227_4F7th-L.jpg

#4 011 8 852
572690309_JGNst-L.jpg

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Peter
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I really like #3 and #4 as far as the theme goes. I'm just not seeing as strong of a connection to the theme with #1 and #2 as I see with #3 and #4. I think the cylindrical and then crunched nature of the can is distracting me from the main circular shape.

In both #3 and #4, I think the contrast could be upped a bit. That said, they are both nice shots that have strong connections to the theme. :D
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    ...Hard to choose... I like them all headscratch.gif

* I actually got a trash can yesterday too rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    as an "old rusty things" person, i like #4 (and this fits the theme very well), but 2 is also good.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I also am a fan of old rusty, weathered items, so my vote is for #4
    #3 is kinda cool too, just wish all the wheels were in the frame....agree that the contrast could be upped a bit in both. Good luck!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    They all work and are all nice.. I agree..:D:D:D

#1 impressed me the most, but I am really big on perspective, making small things look larger than they really are... and you did a bang up job on
    the DOF...thumb.gifSo for me, it is impressive and gives us a view of an object at a perspective we normally do not view like that, which always makes for a great shot.

# 3 is great with both the circles and the squares, but I am concerned the trash in it takes away from the shapes too much..

#4 is really well shot.. I love the way you captured all of that depth and embossed detail.... very nice...

So my vote is for #1 or #4..

Nice captures...thumb.gif

Kat
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    #1 over #2 no question, and I like the perspective from this composition thumb.gif

#3 I like the idea, the thing that takes away from this image to me is that you have some very abrupt crops which grab my eye with the wheels.

#4 I like it but am just looking for something to make it a little more punchy to really grab me initially to look into it and all the details will then hold the viewer.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback & positive comments everyone.

Karl & Karin, I see what you mean about the contrast & have punched it up a bit in the new versions below. I managed to re-shoot the trolley from a slightly different angle with all the wheels in the frame.

Kat, I am a huge fan of low angle shots (my camera spends a lot of time sat on the floor or resting on my foot) simply because of the changed perspective I get.

Here are the modified versions. What does anyone think?

4a 011 8 852
    574398987_z3uDj-L.jpg

3a
    574398518_AQf8Y-L.jpg

574397697_ykkGT-L.jpg

6 An alternative plaque
    574401123_fVGJ9-L.jpg

1 with increased contrast
    574399552_eSVDD-L.jpg

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I rather like #6, the alternative plaque and #5, the shopping cart.

The dead-on angle of the plaque looks stagnant to me in "4a 011 8 852". The slightly angled version of #6 is more interesting, plus your DOF is spot-on in it, too. If you have Photoshop, you might want to see if you could kick it up a notch by playing with color curves, contrast, or adding a vignette.

I get a kick out of the shopping cart. It's a unique find. The trash in it is not bothersome to me at all. I see the cart first, followed by the squares and circles, then the trash. ne_nau.gif The B&W conversion you used brings out the circles and squares well. thumb.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    For some reason I like the shopping cart as well...ah...actaully it's in England, so it's a shopping Trolley. :D

It has the nice circle/square contrast, and I agree that the trash doesn't really negatively effect the image, but enhances it.

I also really like the Briadgemaster Medallion. Love the texture and "weathered-ness" of it. The off-set angle shot is my fav of the 2, however, I'd like to see what some level/colour adjustments could do to it.
    edited June 26, 2009
    Hey Peter..

I like the rework on 4a, it gave that metal an interesting look.. thumb.gif

I like (6) too, but the crop is unsettling in my opinion, and now that you made the wood background yellowish, and the metal "is" yellowish, it lost its depth.. and kind of falls too flat..IMHO....headscratch.gif

The alterations you made on the 3a shopping cart made a good option here... The new boost you gave it made the metal stand out more, and now it, and the wheel, dominates and "not" the trash as much...

I really like that wheel, and the way it sticks out so far in the viewer's face right in font of the squares... However, my best advice is to work on the wheel up front and give it some TLC with the burn tool and sharpening, so that it grabs the viewer before the trash in the background does.. but be careful not to make it obvious that you did that, if ya know what I mean...:D:D:D

I like 3a,, because like the soda can, it has that neat perspective element going for it...

4a has some wow factor, but for creativity and theme strength, the shopping cart, I mean "The Shopping Trolley"mwink.gif is shot with great perspective, and fits the theme, and is a unique find for sure.

Still, the soda can still works for theme too, and is a great shot,,, so I am still going to defend the soda can as an option too...thumb.gifD

Nice job..Peter. You have some great choices here...thumb.gif

Hope I was able to help out some....Good luck.rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I vote for 4a... I think it's a stronger candidate for the competition and has is a better overall photograph, personally, than the shopping "buggy" (welcome to the south!).

But you should go with your gut :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited June 26, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I vote for 4a... I think it's a stronger candidate for the competition and has is a better overall photograph, personally, than the shopping "buggy" (welcome to the south!).

But you should go with your gut :)

Ha ha.. Shopping Buggy.... SO true, so true...rolleyes1.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    The metal on 4a 011 8 852 looks good.

However, after Linda mentioned about the shopping card I find this photo (5) more interesting
    that the cover, too.

I would crop it a little on the top (about 40 pix) and polish it with some contrast and sharpness...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 28, 2009
    Thanks to all of you for the encouraging comments & suggestions, they are as always very much appreciated. Having had a number of the challenges where I couldn't come up with 1 decent image I am now spoiled for choice, which is great clap.gif.

I have made some final adjustments and so would ask for your input one last time. I was drawn to the shopping trolley / cart / buggy particularly the original perspective but I now find I am torn with the 2nd version.

Linda - the 1st trolley is a conversion, the 2nd shot was a B&W jpg, the colo(u)rs of the trash were way overpowering.

A.
    575478815_3tf9c-L.jpg

B
    575479907_qr7nw-L.jpg

C
    575481129_f5wsa-L.jpg

D
    575477407_z3jYw-L.jpg

Thanks again.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited June 28, 2009
    HI Peter..

There is just something about the perspective of "A" that gets my vote.. I like that wheel right up front... and the squares stand out more ..

"C" looks good too..

Good luck on deciding, you have some good ones here, and they are "all" great contenders.thumb.gif

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I like number one with increased contrast. Fits the theme and is different.

g
    edited June 28, 2009
    Kat & Gail, thanks for the feedback and Good Luck.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited June 28, 2009
    Your welcome Peter.. Good luck to you as well...thumb.gif

Kat