Olympus E620 Vs the new Olympus EP1 (not a comparison)

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited July 2, 2009 in Cameras
:help I've read many threads here and I've noticed some sound advice regarding waiting for the purchase of a new camera when a new model of the same brand is about to debut. Well I just realized that Olympus is about to put their brand spankin' new EP1 on the market starting July 2009.
I was going to wait til the 4th of July weekend in the hopes of snagging a sale and getting the Olympus E620 for less than the $799 (w kit lenses).

My question is how long after a new launch can you expect for the price of the other models to drop? I usually rush headlong into things (patience is not my forte), but with this purchase and because I'm taking it very seriously, I'm taking my time--so I can wait if I need to and just play around with my lousy P&S for a while longer.

Anyone wanting to talk me out of a E620--be my guest, it's not set in stone--but it's close--even though I've read some of the threads which completely trash the size and the "passing fad" of the camera, I've also read many good reviews and threads, plus it feels great in my hands and will be easy for me to take everywhere.

Looking forward to your comments and advice.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    :help I've read many threads here and I've noticed some sound advice regarding waiting for the purchase of a new camera when a new model of the same brand is about to debut. Well I just realized that Olympus is about to put their brand spankin' new EP1 on the market starting July 2009.
    I was going to wait til the 4th of July weekend in the hopes of snagging a sale and getting the Olympus E620 for less than the $799 (w kit lenses).

My question is how long after a new launch can you expect for the price of the other models to drop? I usually rush headlong into things (patience is not my forte), but with this purchase and because I'm taking it very seriously, I'm taking my time--so I can wait if I need to and just play around with my lousy P&S for a while longer.

Anyone wanting to talk me out of a E620--be my guest, it's not set in stone--but it's close--even though I've read some of the threads which completely trash the size and the "passing fad" of the camera, I've also read many good reviews and threads, plus it feels great in my hands and will be easy for me to take everywhere.

I really love my E-420 and this camera is basically Olympus taking everything I wished it had and coming out with that.

I think the big question is what types of thing will you be shooting?

I shoot 3 DSLR's now the E-420, Fuji S5 Pro, and Nikon D700, each has their uses but Olympus is really great for general use and macro. And in that price range against the D5000 and new high end Rebel I would say you are gaining alot and the other 2 really don't have much over it (other than video) only a high ISO advantage.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 25, 2009
    The Olympus E-P1 is not designed to compete in the same category or market as the E-620, or any of the Olympus dSLRs for that matter. It is unlikely that the prices of the E-620 would be influenced by sales of the E-P1 or vice-versa.

The E-620 is a pretty amazing camera in its price point and there should be a review coming shortly at DPReview which should positively affect the sales of that model (unless I miss my guess).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    The E-620 will be added to my inventory as soon as I find a place that has one.

The EP-1 is a nice camera, with a great sensor, but as Ziggy says, it's an entirely different category. Call it a SUPER advanced point-and-shoot. Ultimately, however, I've really gotten used to through-the-lens views.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Thanks you guys,
    Looks like I will purchase my baby (Olympus E620) over the holiday weekend, sale or no sale.

Silversx80--fyi, the E620 is online at BestBuy, B&H, Amazon off the top of my head, all for $799 with two great kit lenses, the Zuiko ED 14-42mm and the Zuiko ED 40-150mm (at least the blogs say they are great kit lenses).
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 27, 2009
    Yeah, but I've been hoping to find one while out of town.

I have my E-410 with both those lenses. Great kit lenses and focus WAY faster than any Nikon of Canon kit lens of that class. I'm probably going to upgrade to either the 14-54 or the 12-60 too.
    - Joe
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Well I have an E-620 plus the battery grip and I have to say it is a fantastic piece of equipment. The high ISO is better than any Olympus I have ever used, the dynamic range is fabulous. The size is a huge plus for me. While own and run a professional studio, I use this as my main camera. There are many that love carrying around huge cameras with huge lenses, but I am not one of them. If you can get past the ego part of it, your back will be grateful. After shooting for 8-hours straight the small size has become my greatest friend. It is comfortable to hold, very responsive, packed with features of cameras more than twice its cost. It is a great machine. I plan on wearing out the shutter on this little beauty.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    E-P1 uses Olympus next gen image processing
    Obviously, this is subjective as there are no proper reviews out yet but.... To me, the new Truepic IV engine looks like it's producing the best image quality yet for a 4/3 camera. Of course, I'm talking out of camera images here, not processed from raw. If I decide the E-P1 isn't for me, I'll be torn between going for the 620 or waiting until Olympus puts Truepic IV into their next DSLR.....
    edited June 30, 2009
    E620 w/ or w/out kit lenses
    As some of you know, I'm getting my Olympus E620 within the next couple of days. The base price with the camera and two kit lenses (14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40mm-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED zuiko lenses) for $799.

or just body only for $549.00 and then the olympus 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens for $224.95.

Now I realize that's only one lens instead of 2 and that there is no zoom on the pankake, so you would think the answer is cut and dry.

My goal in getting this DSLR is to be come a better photographer, or really a photographer period--I have so much to learn and I want to be able to take the camera with me everywhere. I think the pancake lens would make it easier for me to achieve that goal without being hindered by bulk. I also realized with my p&s I went zoom crazy, so I'm trying to get away from using the zoom so much, and learn how to compose my shots without this tool.

So for a beginner, am I better off with the kit lenses and buying the pancake at some other point in time, or should I go with the body and the pancake first and then...headscratch.gif

I will mainly use the camera for family events (from big events to everyday events), street shots, and hopefully many many Dgrin challenges and then who knows what....

I believe this is my last Olympus question before my big purchase. I have appreciated all the input so far--thanks a bunch.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Get the kit lenses AND a flash first and the pancake later.

Gene
    As some of you know, I'm getting my Olympus E620 within the next couple of days. The base price with the camera and two kit lenses (14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40mm-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED zuiko lenses) for $799.

or just body only for $549.00 and then the olympus 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens for $224.95.

Now I realize that's only one lens instead of 2 and that there is no zoom on the pankake, so you would think the answer is cut and dry.

My goal in getting this DSLR is to be come a better photographer, or really a photographer period--I have so much to learn and I want to be able to take the camera with me everywhere. I think the pancake lens would make it easier for me to achieve that goal without being hindered by bulk. I also realized with my p&s I went zoom crazy, so I'm trying to get away from using the zoom so much, and learn how to compose my shots without this tool.

So for a beginner, am I better off with the kit lenses and buying the pancake at some other point in time, or should I go with the body and the pancake first and then...headscratch.gif

I will mainly use the camera for family events (from big events to everyday events), street shots, and hopefully many many Dgrin challenges and then who knows what....

I believe this is my last Olympus question before my big purchase. I have appreciated all the input so far--thanks a bunch.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    My shooting improved quite a bit when I picked up an old 35mm film camera with a 50mm 1.7 lens. The 25mm 2.8 on 4/3 will be near the same field of view as 50mm on 35mm, IIRC.

Being a bit restricted by the prime lens, and not wanting to waste film, I have to take my time and be fairly thoughtful about where I am in relation to the subject. The ability to isolate the subject by using a wide aperture is a great advantage, and the additional stop of light means less need for a flash.

I'd suggest that you play with them in the store and get a feel for what the 25mm would be like to shoot with.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009

I hope Zigy will forgive me for commenting on equipment - rolleyes1.gif - but as an Olympus shooter...

While the EP1 appears to be a very different animal from the DSLRs, the sample images posted at DPreview lead me to believe it has what is by far the best Olympus sensor yet - much improved in terms of noise and detail.

That said, I get outstanding images out of my E-330 with it's 7.5mg sensor, to say nothing of the E-3.

So the real question is what you want to do with the camera, what your photographic needs are.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited July 2, 2009
    Hello BDCOLEN,
    I had not expected to get a reply from you for months to come, so this is a real treat. I look forward to your comments when I finally post my first shot.
    That being said, I just got home from Adorama after purchasing my Olympus E620. My needs are pretty cut and dry, I want to learn about photography and I want to take photos I'm proud to call mine. I want to document my kids' everyday life and special events with loved ones. i want to carry my camera everywhere with me, even to work and back (commute on subway) and just learn to take proper photos, learn with my camera on manual--I've only used Auto til now--that's all about to change.
    To say I'm new at this is an understatement. The door is open now and I'm just taking the first step.
    I came home from Adorama with the E620 with two kit lenses, a camera bag, an 8gb memory card, and a set of 3 filters I got suckered into buying, oh and a warranty.
    I'm putting my little one to sleep in a minute and then I'm diving into the manual. So my evening will consist of a nice glass of wine and my camera manual while sitting on the front porch. Wish I could take a picture of this beautiful evening:) soon...soon.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I hope Zigy will forgive me for commenting on equipment - rolleyes1.gif - but as an Olympus shooter...

While the EP1 appears to be a very different animal from the DSLRs, the sample images posted at DPreview lead me to believe it has what is by far the best Olympus sensor yet - much improved in terms of noise and detail.

That said, I get outstanding images out of my E-330 with it's 7.5mg sensor, to say nothing of the E-3.

So the real question is what you want to do with the camera, what your photographic needs are.

Hmmmmm, an AIR shoots Oly?!?!?!

tehehehe :tiptoe

Been playing with my new E-620 all day. That thing is freaking fantastic! thumb.gif
    - Joe
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wish I could take a picture of this beautiful evening:) soon...soon.

Stop wishing and go DO IT!! Best way to learn in my opinion mwink.gif
    - Joe
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

The more the merrier. thumb.gifclap.gif

Olympus makes great cameras and some fantastic lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 2, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Stop wishing and go DO IT!! Best way to learn in my opinion mwink.gif

I will do it!...Must wait three hours for my battery to charge :cry .
    Liz A.
    _________